Harbhajan, Tendulkar, Kohli: true heroes of cricket

1 hour ago, mancalledsting said:

IMO, S Waugh was one of the biggest a**holes to ever set foot on a cricket field.

Here are are examples of him blatantly cheating: 

https://youtu.be/oW1qy1jh9j8

https://youtu.be/Hu5Th1so2D0

Here's an example of his holier than thou attitude in play: 

https://youtu.be/T4183JgtIwo

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-28/steve-waugh-calls-for-committment-to-spirit-of-cricket-document/9595490

Like all players from a bygone era, there is a tendency to view him with rose tinted spectacles 

Don’t think heis acting any hollier.  You would see many clips from player through out their career where they did not walk when nicking the ball, and thats also called cheating. Players from all over th world do that, including our own India greats have done, like not walking. Some others would feel thats cheating too. 

And then talking about how Smith and co have hurt Australia doesn’t mean he is acting anything special. He is hurt as an Australian former cricketer who lead his country to great success. Its natural reaction.

Fact is Waugh did not cheat like Smith and co did here. Its pretty clear that.

Smith, even though I sympathize with him on his ban, reached a different level of cheating  last week.

7 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Don’t think heis acting any hollier.  You would see many clips from player through out their career where they did not walk when nicking the ball, and thats also called cheating. Players from all over th world do that, including our own India greats have done, like not walking. Some others would feel thats cheating too. 

And then talking about how Smith and co have hurt Australia doesn’t mean he is acting anything special. He is hurt as an Australian former cricketer who lead his country to great success. Its natural reaction.

Fact is Waugh did not cheat like Smith and co did here. Its pretty clear that.

Smith, even though I sympathize with him on his ban, reached a different level of cheating  last week.

First question and honest one, did you watch Steve Waugh play live during his career because I get the feeling we are talking about a different player here. No one said Waugh cheated as big as Steve Smith but he was a crucial part of forming the culture that allowed Steve Smith to think he could get away with it. I’m sorry, grounding a ball and still claiming a catch is even worse than not walking off when nicking (sometimes batsmen are genuinely unsure if they’ve nicked off and they also used to get share of bad decisions pre DRS and so they saw it as evening out). 

Steve Waugh says they ‘failed our culture’, no mate they’re going along with the culture you created and thriving off that. Also he’s asking players to observe spirit of cricket when he’s broken that code multiple times in his career and was the main exponent of it during his time. Ie he’s a blatant hypocrite. Just because he does charity work in India doesn’t mean he wasn’t horrible in his playing days- if you rob someone’s house tomorrow and then next day do charity, doesn’t mean your not a thief 

Edited by mancalledsting
2 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

First question and honest one, did you watch Steve Waugh play live during his career because I get the feeling we are talking about a different player here. No one said Waugh cheated as big as Steve Smith but he was a crucial part of forming the culture that allowed Steve Smith to think he could get away with it. I’m sorry, grounding a ball and still claiming a catch is even worse than not walking off when nicking (sometimes batsmen are genuinely unsure if they’ve nicked off and they also used to get share of bad decisions pre DRS and so they saw it as evening out). 

Steve Waugh says they ‘failed our culture’, no mate they’re going along with the culture you created and thriving off that. Also he’s asking players to observe spirit of cricket when he’s broken that code multiple times in his career and was the main exponent of it during his time. Ie he’s a blatant hypocrite. Just because he does charity work in India doesn’t mean he wasn’t horrible in his playing days- if you rob someone’s house tomorrow and then next day do charity, doesn’t mean your not a thief 

I watchd and followed Steve’s career from 1995 to the end of his career. 

Again, agree to disagree on this. When Steve Waigh says the current Aussies have failed their culture, I see it appropritate. Waugh and co were not involved in ball tampering and planning or  caught while scuffing the ball etc on regular basis, unlike the current Aussie players who had pulled of this amazing trick to tamper the ball. That is what I read when Waugh says the current Aussies went out and failed the culture, by not playing fair cricket on the field.  

The Aussies under Waugh did not try to change the conditon of the ball etc or planned like this to reach number 1. That is a fact. 

7 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I watchd and followed Steve’s career from 1995 to the end of his career. 

Again, agree to disagree on this. When Steve Waigh says the current Aussies have failed their culture, I see it appropritate. Waugh and co were not involved in ball tampering and planning or  caught while scuffing the ball etc on regular basis, unlike the current Aussie players who had pulled of this amazing trick to tamper the ball. That is what I read when Waugh says the current Aussies went out and failed the culture, by not playing fair cricket on the field.  

The Aussies under Waugh did not try to change the conditon of the ball etc or planned like this to reach number 1. That is a fact. 

I think trying to get a batsmen out when you've clearly grounded the ball is in the same ball park as ball tampering- its blatant gainsmanship/cheating. Applying psychological pressure to umpires to award incorrect decisions in your favour is also close. Even if his sins aren't as great ball tampering, he cultivated the environment which led to the current lot thinking they could criticise others for doing it and get away with doing it themselves. therefore he is nobody to criticise Warner/Smith for failing the culture, instead he should be giving them Aussie equivalent of padma shree for upholding it. 

Here's another article of the stuff he allowed his players to get away with; he was captain so don't say he wasn't responsible for cultivating this type of behaviour:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/steve-waugh-shouldnt-dodge-blame-like-this/news-story/ec8c53b2c04bd19ca948b03d43af043c

39 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I think trying to get a batsmen out when you've clearly grounded the ball is in the same ball park as ball tampering- its blatant gainsmanship/cheating. Applying psychological pressure to umpires to award incorrect decisions in your favour is also close. Even if his sins aren't as great ball tampering, he cultivated the environment which led to the current lot thinking they could criticise others for doing it and get away with doing it themselves. therefore he is nobody to criticise Warner/Smith for failing the culture, instead he should be giving them Aussie equivalent of padma shree for upholding it. 

Here's another article of the stuff he allowed his players to get away with; he was captain so don't say he wasn't responsible for cultivating this type of behaviour:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/steve-waugh-shouldnt-dodge-blame-like-this/news-story/ec8c53b2c04bd19ca948b03d43af043c

He didn’t tamper the ball or asked players to do it. Thats the point. 

All the oher things come in different category. Whatever you want to put it in.

i am a bigger fan of Hansie Cronje than Steve waugh but Hansie cheated the system, Waugh did not by fixing or tampering the ball. Smith did though by tampering the ball and Aussies under Steve weren’t known for that or at least Waugh can’t be blamed for that, meanwhile Smith was the major person behind the plan.

45 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

He didn’t tamper the ball or asked players to do it. Thats the point. 

All the oher things come in different category. Whatever you want to put it in.

i am a bigger fan of Hansie Cronje than Steve waugh but Hansie cheated the system, Waugh did not by fixing or tampering the ball. Smith did though by tampering the ball and Aussies under Steve weren’t known for that or at least Waugh can’t be blamed for that, meanwhile Smith was the major person behind the plan.

Both Waugh's and Smith's crimes come under the general headings 'Win at any cost', 'Seek to gain an unfair advantage over the opposition with underhandedness and deceit' hence same category 

Edited by mancalledsting