India Vs SriLanka: Match 2: Preview

Cricketics

Batting definitely needs to fire. SL don't have a Lee in their ranks. The only worrying factor is Vaas, whom we have played well over the past (although could have been better). If we can negate him, then we definitely have a chance. Lee in ODIs is alltogether a different animal. But IMO, the batting order needs to be scattered to blend youth and experience together. With Sehwag and Tendulkar the most experienced of the lot playing in Aus (assuming UV is still injured), one of these two need to come down at 3 or 4. Like it happened in the match against Australia, if both sachin and sehwag go back to pavilion early, rest of the batting is not able to hold itself. Or atleast bring Pathan a little early. He is the only other fellow who has some experience in Australia. And Dhoni needs to fire... after becoming captain he is becoming way too defensive and not playing his natural game.

Yuvi must battle out devils in his mind Brisbane: India may have their best One-Day batsman over the last couple of years back in the mix for the game against Sri Lanka but Yuvraj Singh faces more than just a cricketing test on Tuesday - the devils in his mind too need to be conquered. "What I have learnt is not to play football, I guess," said Yuvraj on the eve of the second ODI against Sri Lanka. Yuvraj Singh would do well to listen to his own advice after two poor outings in Melbourne and Sydney with the bat. Yuvraj's tour took a turn for the worse in Perth. His troublesome knee and patchy form has meant the confident spark is missing from the soundbytes too. "I didn't have good starts in Sydney and in Melbourne. So, I didn't spend enough time in the middle which I guess was the reason for my failure," admitted Singh. Form may have deserted him but Yuvraj is without a doubt is the future of India's middle-order batting in all forms of the game. For motivation to emerge from his lean patch, all Yuvraj has to do is look at his own record last year. More than 1200 runs in One-Day cricket and the T20 heroics - and now all he asks is for is a bit of patience. "I have batted badly in last 15 20 games. I had a very good last year but didn't have two good Test matches. It is not the end of the world for me," said Yuvraj . It has been a roller coaster ride over the last few weeks for Yuvraj and has clearly toughened him up for the road ahead. "It is a frustrating to think that you were in great form and suddenly you lose your form but that happenes with everyone. You won't be in great form all the time and you won't be in bad form all the time. So, you just have to learn from your mistakes," said Yuvraj. From the highs of success to the lows of failure, Yuvraj Singh has seen it all in the last six months. Probably one of the best One-Day players in Indian cricket needs to get back his form and fitness soon. Its very simple: Indian cricket needs Yuvraj and Yuvraj needs Indian cricket.

If Yuvraj isnt fit, I'd like to see Raina replace Tiwary. Not to write off the latter, but I still clutch to the hope that Raina might develop into something a bit special. edit-- I'd also like to see us drop Sehwag into the middle order. It'll break up the succession of newbies from one-drop down. Also, with his sort of power, he'll find it easier than most to find the ropes in the middle overs with five boundary-riders out. His ODI record is mediocre in any case, so it's not as if he's made that openers spot his own.

There is no way Tiwary should be replaced if Yuvraj isnt fit' date=' but I think he will be replaced by Raina.[/quote'] Eh!? Atleast Raina has some experience, Tiwary's addition (if YS does not play) means that we will have raw, inexperienced team. Vaas and Chucklitharan will outclass our batting easily.
Eh!? Atleast Raina has some experience' date=' Tiwary's addition (if YS does not play) means that we will have raw, inexperienced team. Vaas and Chucklitharan will outclass our batting easily.[/quote'] Ok, then why do you think Tiwary was preferred over Raina in the first match ? Was Tiwary experienced then, or did the team management forget Raina's experience ? You gotto back a youngster, not treat him according to your own whims and fancies. Sure Tiwary looked bad on the last match, but so did most of the Indian batsman. If I am right, Tiwary is a much more expansive stroke-maker than Raina and has a better power game than Raina. However, Raina has a slight edge over Tiwary, for now, because of previous international experience. Both are good fielders, so there is nothing to choose there.
Why? Is it because it will probably be detrimental to his confidence?
No. It is because it'll be detrimental to the continuity in the team. If you thought that Tiwary was special, give him a fair run. I'm sure he'll do well. I still can't forget his innings in the Ranji final last year. Raina has a problem against short pitch deliveries and he'd be exposed here, if played.
Why? Is it because it will probably be detrimental to his confidence?
Ok, then why do you think Tiwary was preferred over Raina in the first match ? Was Tiwary experienced then, or did the team management forget Raina's experience ? You gotto back a youngster, not treat him according to your own whims and fancies. Sure Tiwary looked bad on the last match, but so did most of the Indian batsman. If I am right, Tiwary is a much more expansive stroke-maker than Raina and has a better power game than Raina. However, Raina has a slight edge over Tiwary, for now, because of previous international experience. Both are good fielders, so there is nothing to choose there.
Ok, then why do you think Tiwary was preferred over Raina in the first match ? Was Tiwary experienced then, or did the team management forget Raina's experience ?
It was because of Dhoni's instinct according to Dhoni himself.
You gotto back a youngster, not treat him according to your own whims and fancies. Sure Tiwary looked bad on the last match, but so did most of the Indian batsman. If I am right, Tiwary is a much more expansive stroke-maker than Raina and has a better power game than Raina.
Its exactly how he was played against Aussies. We really need some experience down there. We saw what the lack of did to our middle order.