NZ and England Lose the Clue

Dhondy

Completely bemused to see a series begin with a couple of 20-20 biff-bangs, meander through an ODI pyjama-fest, and then graduate to Test cricket. Going by recent trends, most fast bowlers from these two sides should be rendered hors-de-combat by the time the first Test begins. Even more disappointing is the NZ boards excommunication of their only world class bowler because he chose to cash in his chips before his injury ravaged body gave up. Martin, Franklin and Gillespie might still give England one or two scares, but that would only be down to the general gutlessness of the Poms when put under pressure. This is after all a side that saw a Test prospect in Ravi Bopara, that massive prodigy who ended up with a batting average of 8.4 against SL, keeping Andrew Strauss out in the process. Their new hope is slogger Luke Wright, whose batting style would make Uthappa look like a purist. Two completely clueless sides. The tragedy is that if England win 3-0, they would overhaul India by an infinitessimal 0.02 point margin and go second.

My post was prompted by Scott Styris' retirement from Test cricket to "concentrate on ODIs". Here's this guy, second only to Stephen Fleming in batting class in that side, giving up Tests to concentrate on the McDonalds version. What does it say about the health of cricket in that country?

So what if they go second? I expect India to thrash a Pollock-less South Africa in India on venues that play to South African weaknesses - Chennai, Ahmedabad and Kanpur. South Africa will struggle with the slow pitches there (at least when the Surd Turd doesn't bowl), with the heat and conditions and my guess is that the win will push India into a second - a position that I expect will be consolidated when England drop at home later this year against South Africa.

What does it say about the health of cricket in that country?
Terminally ill, I fear. The new crop of players does not impress. Ryder has an attitude problem, many of the rest have technique problems or simply aren't that good. Unless Sherlock and Southee prove to be very, very good, the bowling's in real trouble for the future.

There are so many newcomers coming into international teams nowadays, I am not able to recall what was each country's playing eleven in the last match they played. England *look* favorites, mainly coz of their batting pedigree. A team that has Michael Vaughan, Kevin Pieterson, Ian Bell and Paul Collingwood shouldnt have too much trouble outclassing a team that cant boast of a single world class batsman in its team right now, except maybe Fleming. NZ were hopelessly outclassed in the recent Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, their batting looked pathetic and woefully short of pedigree.

My post was prompted by Scott Styris' retirement from Test cricket to "concentrate on ODIs". Here's this guy, second only to Stephen Fleming in batting class in that side, giving up Tests to concentrate on the McDonalds version. What does it say about the health of cricket in that country?
Yes Strange isnt it. Usually, isnt it the other way around ? :D