How to create an ODI innings

Mr. Wicket

First four wickets all bowled. Three more runouts. Run rate of 2.61 an over, with 11 runs coming off the final five. 50 overs not batted out (against the lethal probing bowling of Kyle Mills, Chris Martin, Jacob Oram, Danny Vettori, Scott Styris and Jeetan Patel), and a total of 130 runs on the board. Figures of 10-1-22-2 for Scott Styris, he of the basic stump to stump medium pace. Well done Ingerland!

Are you watching, sriram? Maybe you can enlighten us on what a rubbish minefield this wicket is then and how the ball's flying all over the place and making it impossible for batsmen to connect (or even run between the wickets). I didn't see anything of it while watching, perhaps you did?

Are you watching, sriram? Maybe you can enlighten us on what a rubbish minefield this wicket is then and how the ball's flying all over the place and making it impossible for batsmen to connect (or even run between the wickets). I didn't see anything of it while watching, perhaps you did?
I didnt watch, which is why I am wondering, " What could have made a team batting first against the bowling of Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Scott Styris, Oram and Vettori get bowled out for 130 ?" The only explanation i could come up with was - Pitch was doing lots of things. Correct me if am wrong.
First four wickets all bowled. Three more runouts. Run rate of 2.61 an over, with 11 runs coming off the final five. 50 overs not batted out (against the lethal probing bowling of Kyle Mills, Chris Martin, Jacob Oram, Danny Vettori, Scott Styris and Jeetan Patel), and a total of 130 runs on the board. Figures of 10-1-22-2 for Scott Styris, he of the basic stump to stump medium pace. Well done Ingerland!
I didn't watch the match Salil, but isn't it possible that NZ could be having one of those useless drop-in pitches which they had for us in 2002-03? Otherwise I just can't believe that England would cave in for 130 inside 50 overs. Now watch NZ getting dismissed under 100.

You are wrong, and making assumptions. The pitch is slow and low, but it's not a seething greentop. New Zealand's new ball bowlers were very smart - kept it straight, bowled wicket to wicket with good lengths and put pressure early on. Mustard looked scratchy and started to play some crude hoicks and Cook got bogged down because of some outstanding work in the field - the infielding was stunning, with at least 20 singles saved throughout. Styris and Oram used changes of pace very smartly - Styris outsmarted Mustard with a lovely slower cutter, and Pietersen was foxed by Oram's slower one as well - played an expansive drive too early and edged back onto the wicket. As for Collingwood, Shah and Swann, all three were run out because the pitch was a useless drop in covered in green, not because of anything like rubbish calling/running that comes from pressure (from good bowling/fielding keeping the runs down), or because of sharp fielding. New Zealand were outstanding in the first half of the game and have set this up for them to win. Give them their due credit instead of trying to pin everything on pitches. Besides, England can make their own excuses - they've got enough practice doing it in the past. (Prawns and smog indeed)

I am just speculating Salil, I aint saying thats what is happening. Just caught the quick highlights. The pitch is definitely slow, especially seen from the Sidebottom caught and bowled. But it isnt a 130 pitch, more like a 210-230 pitch. Some goat-brained running between wickets cost england badly. Eng bowling now, we can surely see what the pitch is made of.

43/0 after 9 overs' date=' Sidebottom and Anderson swung the new ball but Ryder and McCullum have moved the scoreboard along with some great shots. Ryder's looked far better here than he did in the T20s.[/quote'] He certainly has good hand-eye coordination along with his muscles to send the ball downtown. Did anyone see the lone 6 he hit vs NZ in 1st 20-20 ? I think it was against Anderson (not sure)... He came down the track (4-5 steps) and lifted it straight down the ground.

Told you, Thal. Poms will crumble under pressure. NZ may be depleted and all that, but they are fiesty little so and sos and will always punch above their weight. It does help that they are a magnificent fielding outfit. All those runouts didn't happen by accident.

Told you, Thal. Poms will crumble under pressure. NZ may be depleted and all that, but they are fiesty little so and sos and will always punch above their weight. It does help that they are a magnificent fielding outfit. All those runouts didn't happen by accident.
My real concern was over the fielding - in the last Twenty20, they looked a rabble in the infield, swandiving and misfielding and conceding about 20 runs through very sloppy cricket. Good to see them returning to form in the field. NZ won comfortably by 6 wickets (losing 2 too many in the last few overs of the chase), always good to see.

Thal, Ravi...did you notice how they dropped Mascarenhas for Bopara? See how scrambled their thinking is? Bopara for Strauss in Tests, Bopara for Mascarenhas in ODIs. It's almost as if they go against who is intuitively the right choice to be too clever, and bomb big time.

Yup. I could only laugh when Bopara tried to hit out to relieve pressure and ended up holing out in the deep. :D Although it's nothing new. England's selection botches have always provided me with great entertainment (bar the time they prematurely ended Graham Thorpe's career), from moments like picking Matt Prior to keep wicket to the truly legendary gaffe of going into a Calcutta test with four fast bowlers.