Ganguly still hopes for a return to ODIs

'Sachin is playing, while rest of us are not' ‘Sachin is playing, while rest of us are not’ New Delhi, February 12 In a potentially explosive statement, former Team India skipper Sourav Ganguly today said he was dropped from the one-day team for reasons other than cricket. ''I am disappointed at not being a part of the one-day team because of my performance last year and my over-all record as a one-day player,'' Ganguly told CNN-IBN. ''I know I have not been dropped because of my performance. ''It is disappointing because I have been in great form last year,'' he added. ''Probably the most runs in the world last year, if you take both forms of the game. But that is the way it is. ''Sachin is playing one-day cricket while the rest of us are not.'' Ganguly was speaking for the first time after being dropped from the Indian team for the Commonwealth Bank tri-series currently underway in Australia. When asked about his chances of making a comeback to the one-day side he said, ''We will have to wait and see what the selectors think of the future. There are a lot of Test cricket ahead this year. Probably there are more Tests than one-day cricket.'' Expressing his faith and respect for chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar, the 35-year-old southpaw said, ''He got me back into the team. And also Zaheer Khan back into the team. And the performances we have shown, I am sure with him around things will happen.'' When quizzed on the inconsistent form of Yuvraj Singh, Sourav said he was sure of Yuvi's return to form and wished him well. —UNI

‘Sachin is playing, while rest of us are not’ New Delhi, February 12 In a potentially explosive statement, former Team India skipper Sourav Ganguly today said he was dropped from the one-day team for reasons other than cricket. ''I am disappointed at not being a part of the one-day team because of my performance last year and my over-all record as a one-day player,'' Ganguly told CNN-IBN. ''I know I have not been dropped because of my performance. ''It is disappointing because I have been in great form last year,'' he added. ''Probably the most runs in the world last year, if you take both forms of the game. But that is the way it is. ''Sachin is playing one-day cricket while the rest of us are not.'' Ganguly was speaking for the first time after being dropped from the Indian team for the Commonwealth Bank tri-series currently underway in Australia. When asked about his chances of making a comeback to the one-day side he said, ''We will have to wait and see what the selectors think of the future. There are a lot of Test cricket ahead this year. Probably there are more Tests than one-day cricket.''We hope there are...but stupid BCCI will schedule only ODIs!!! Expressing his faith and respect for chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar, the 35-year-old southpaw said, ''He got me back into the team. And also Zaheer Khan back into the team. And the performances we have shown, I am sure with him around things will happen.''Put ur faith in clown Vengcircus? When quizzed on the inconsistent form of Yuvraj Singh, Sourav said he was sure of Yuvi's return to form and wished him well. —UNI As for SG's return, it will depend on how the Team fares in this CB series...i think R.Sharma will be in 11 for sometime...
SCG didn't deserve to be dropped, but I understand the point of exposing youngsters, although it should have been more in a gradual manner imo. There is no point of comparing himself with SRT though, he had better year than SCG if I'm not mistaken.
Its an apples to prunes comparison!!! Apples are good all the time and Prunes come handy only when you have severe constipation! Ganguly was horrible in ODI's since his return as he was playing a very very selfish game. Kept his average high but at the cost of a lower SR. So much so that Dhoni and YS in the selection meeting blamed Ganguly for the loss in Nagpur.

Does Saurav honestly think he can hold his place in the one-day team, with his fitness levels and fielding standards ? Why the hell is he whining so much ? Its not like he was dropped when he was 24, he is now 35, scored over 10,000 runs. What else has he left to achieve ? The one-day team didnt have too much success last year, with him and Dravid in the team, so the management obviously believes its time for a change. And surely, he wont be naive enough to compare himself/Dravid and Sachin when it comes to one-day prowess I hope. Ganguly Sir, your time in the one-day team has come to an end. We respect you for your contributions to Indian one-day team over the years and pay homage to it. But now, just move aside and let the youngsters take control. Already, as you might have seen, there are some VERY promising lads around. Dont hinder them, concentrate on test cricket and win us the following test series against the Saffies.

Does Saurav honestly think he can hold his place in the one-day team, with his fitness levels and fielding standards ? Why the hell is he whining so much ? Its not like he was dropped when he was 24, he is now 35, scored over 10,000 runs. What else has he left to achieve ? The one-day team didnt have too much success last year, with him and Dravid in the team, so the management obviously believes its time for a change. And surely, he wont be naive enough to compare himself/Dravid and Sachin when it comes to one-day prowess I hope. Ganguly Sir, your time in the one-day team has come to an end. We respect you for your contributions to Indian one-day team over the years and pay homage to it. But now, just move aside and let the youngsters take control. Already, as you might have seen, there are some VERY promising lads around. Dont hinder them, concentrate on test cricket and win us the following test series against the Saffies.
Well said....

I agree with most here...Gangoo has to go. If not for anything, its for the big picture. ODIs are rather meaningless except the World Cups. And its clear as daylight that a 39 year old Gangoo won't be in the 2011 world cup squad. He has achieved a lot in ODIs but what is team India gaining from having him around really ? Even if he has a couple of good years in him in ODIs, whats the point ? So that Gangoo can go to 12000-13000 ODI runs ? Sure, Gangoo might bat well in ODIs, scoring a 100 ball 70 every 2-3 innings but it just means one thing- that Gangoo would retire in 2009 or 10 and whoever is the new opener would have less than a year before the world cup to adjust to his role. Ultimately, counterproductive. A lot of teams have dropped a lot of old players in ODIs with distinctly the MO that 'nomatter what you do, you simply arn't going to be fit/energetic enough in 4 yrs time for the next world cup'. Steve Waugh, Graham Thorpe etc. come to mind. Gangoo should just let this go instead of just looking to add another 1500-2000 runs to his tally along with 1-2 more tons. Sure, he may be the reason India wins a meaningless 5-ODI series in a few months time, but if he doesn't go, he will be the reason why India won't win 2011 world cup. HE should realize this and step away from ODIs- Saurav is already one of the alltime greats in ODIs, his legacy there is safe and he has nothing more to accomplish. He should retire, focus on a solid year or two in tests and then go out with his head held high

WATZ UP??? i don't see ganguly whining.. He was asked to come on Ndtv.. and was asked few questions and he responded to it pretty frankly.. he said "I still believe my odi carrer is not over." whatz harm in bloody saying that... he has played cricket for over 10 yrz.. cricket is his life.. and hence his love for cricket sayz that he still has it in him.. which he just showed by answering to the reporterz question. i don't know why ppl alwayz bring the word "Whining"
WATZ UP??? i don't see ganguly whining.. He was asked to come on Ndtv.. and was asked few questions and he responded to it pretty frankly.. he said "I still believe my odi carrer is not over." whatz harm in bloody saying that... he has played cricket for over 10 yrz.. cricket is his life.. and hence his love for cricket sayz that he still has it in him.. which he just showed by answering to the reporterz question. i don't know why ppl alwayz bring the word "Whining"
No, he should have said " I know I have been dropped, and i am also aware the team wants to blood in youngsters, i support this move", rather than say stuff like " Sachin is still playing, I still want to play ODI cricket". Cant he see the writing on the Wall ? And Is Rahul coming out and saying such things ?
No, he should have said " I know I have been dropped, and i am also aware the team wants to blood in youngsters, i support this move", rather than say stuff like " Sachin is still playing, I still want to play ODI cricket". Cant he see the writing on the Wall ? And Is Rahul coming out and saying such things ?
Thatz Rahul Dravid.

again mm.. it's not that ganguly is taking media's help.. he was approached by ndtv... he was asked to come on ndtv.. and he came.. now ofcourse if Dravid is aproached and is asked by Ndtv same question.. then would he say that "I'm Done from odi cricket." the answer is no.. he won't say.. if he really wanted to say no.. then by now he would have announced his ODI RETIRement..

Guest HariSampath

This is a totally distorted version of what he had said...I read another version where he had said " I cannot comment on that" at least 3 times and just mentioned "my record is perhaps next only to Sachin"..this is hilarious, but his ODI career is over and with good reason, he was always a mediocre ODI player, hiding behind sachin's performance and costing the team more than what he contributed every 2-3 games at his own scoring rate