Ishant Sharma a potential alltime great ?! Pfft! Ishant won't take 100 test wickets!

CC1981

Guest HariSampath
The amount of workload a modern international cricketer endures is not comparable to the one Imran and Akram were subject to' date=' so not sure if they are the best people to judge the situation.[/quote'] But both Imran and Wasim had made that judgement about Ishant, FULLY knowing the demands on an international fast bowler TODAY...NOT in 1960s....and....if Imran and Wasim, plus Ricky Ponting, Gavaskar, Gilly, Shastri, Fleming et al, dont know anything , who does ? All these folks are saying is that Ishant Sharma is a potentially GREAT fast bowler, and they ALL know a thing or two about fast bowling AND today's demands on a Int'l cricketer....but the OP suggests that Ishant will 100% end up in the garbage pile, and some folks here think that even saying that Ishant is a "potentially" a fast bowling great is hype, and even suggest that CC who says he will end up in garbage "has a valid viewpoint" ?? NONSENSE
But both Imran and Wasim had made that judgement about Ishant' date=' FULLY knowing the demands on an international fast bowler TODAY...NOT in 1960s....and....if Imran and Wasim, plus Ricky Ponting, Gavaskar, Gilly, Shastri, Fleming et al, dont know anything , who does ? All these folks are saying is that Ishant Sharma is a potentially GREAT fast bowler, and they ALL know a thing or two about fast bowling AND today's demands on a Int'l cricketer....but the OP suggests that Ishant will 100% end up in the garbage pile, and some folks here think that even saying that Ishant is a "potentially" a fast bowling great is hype, and even suggest that CC who says he will end up in garbage "has a valid viewpoint" ?? NONSENSE[/quote'] Did u read the Op @ Hari?? or just read the title of the thread??? he sayz the amount of workload on him, if it continuez then he might not be seen anywhere in int'l cricket in coming yearz.. he suggests about rotation policy... which is perhapz the most comman cry of any Die Hard Indian Cricket Fan.. nothing wrong in that.. u gotta read the OP..
Guest HariSampath

^ I read the OP, skimmed thru it, and I know CC said Ishant will endup as garbage....anyways, I dont read CC's posts fully as they are mostly stupid and absolute nonsense, and we all know, and I too think he is a troll

^ I read the OP' date=' skimmed thru it, and I know CC said Ishant will endup as garbage....anyways, I dont read CC's posts fully as they are mostly stupid and absolute nonsense, and we all know, and I too think he is a troll[/quote'] If you can't read something fully and take time to absorb it in, you will keep on making a fool out of yourself like you have here, not to mention, it is the height of retardedness to comment on something you havn't fully read. Wasim, Imran, etc. as some pointed out, did not have ANYWHERE CLOSE to 12-15 tests and 25-30 ODIs per calendar year. You may be a chamchaa to the opinions of big-names, i will just go by precedence. Precedence is that EVERY Indian fast bowler to've come up in the last 10 years, who promised a lot, have been killed off by BCCI due to overworking. Aggy blazed his way to 50 ODI wickets but ended up being worked to death in his formative years. Same with balaji, Zaheer, Nehra, Irfu, etc. It is not a question of whether you are a potential great, it is simply an issue of workload and the workload killing off the bowler. It is important to realize that Ishant is still 19 and his body is growing. He is also a tall, lanky bowler in the Ambrose-Walsh mould and these type of bowlers are the PRIME candidates for back problems and knee problems. Irfan if you'd notice, has a very robust physique- he is well built in the shoulders, wide frame, good strong legs- and even he got injured after playing a retarded amount of cricket for a 19 year old. Mark my words- if Ishant isnt carefully nurtured ( he should NOT play more than 6-7 Tests and 10-15 ODIs per year for atleast another 4-5 years), he will be finished before he starts. And on this, you can suck-up to any number of 'big name' opinions, still wont change the FACT that this has happened way too much in Indian cricket to be dismissed.

CC you will be made to eat your words yeh there is a lot of cricket, but that could work as practice for him to improve all international players need to play similar amounts and if he gets tired/injured, he could always have time off maybe there will be a time, where he isnt bowling that well and is dropped

^ I read the OP' date=' skimmed thru it, and I know CC said Ishant will endup as garbage....anyways, I dont read CC's posts fully as they are mostly stupid and absolute nonsense, and we all know, and I too think he is a troll[/quote'] If you don 't read them but comment on them. Ah like Michael Clarke
The amount of workload a modern international cricketer endures is not comparable to the one Imran and Akram were subject to' date=' so not sure if they are the best people to judge the situation.[/quote'] What crap. Imran, Wasim, Kapil, Donald, Waqar, Botham and others used to bowl in every domestic match when they weren't playing International cricket. These days you rarely see an International cricketer playing too many domestic games and still they get injured.
What crap. Imran, Wasim, Kapil, Donald, Waqar, Botham and others used to bowl in every domestic match when they weren't playing International cricket. These days you rarely see an International cricketer playing too many domestic games and still they get injured.
Mate, if you look at the volume of cricket played, Imran, Waqar, Wasim,etc. played the same amount of cricket as modern international cricketers do today ( in terms of days spent in the middle per year). But the KEY part you are missing is that back in the days of 7-8 tests and 10-12 ODIs per year + first class cricket obligations, the players didn't travel much. Those were the days where ODI series wern't seperate. You'd play a test in Lahore, rest 3 days, play an ODI in lahore, then move to Karachi and repeat the same process ( and so is true for most countries). In First Class/county cricket, you are like 2 hours flight/4-5 hrs in bus away from your longest destinations and the bulk of matches you play at home. In today's cricket, you are playing in Melbourne one day, catching a flight to Perth the next, playing in perth 2 days later, catching another 1500 mile flight to Sydney, etc. doing that for a whole 2 months, taking a breather in the weekend, flying 10 hrs back to India, playing in Mumbai on Monday, Kolkata on Wednesday, Chennai on Friday, then 2 weeks later, catching a 12 hour flight to London,etc etc. I've travelled a lot in my time and it is this non-stop travelling, changing timezones, essentially living out of a box in a hotel that wears on you in the long term. Half the time you are sleep deprived, trying to continuously adjust to 3 hours lost/4 hours gained etc. The other half of the time, you are eating crap food on flights & midnight snacks from the vending machine. Yes, you are going to say 'but nutrition is much more tightly regulated today!', but thats not the point. Yes, your food-Nazi coaching sidekick will make sure you eat exactly 1.5lb of chicken breast, 0.5lb of carbs etc. but the important thing is, most of the stuff when you are on tour is commercially prepared food, not the zesty home-cooked food. Add to this the far far heavier commitment towards the media and fans ( how many interviews did Imran give in his playing years ? I am willing to wager that the # of interviews Imran gave in 20 years cricket is nothing compared to the # of interviews Tendy has given since the last worldcup!), it is a very weary lifestyle that leaves you emotionally and mentally drained, physically on edge and overall a ticking timebomb of collapse. I've led this kind of lifestyle for a while and I am sure Dhondy will validate my stance on this- when you lead a lifestyle like this, your body weakens, your immune system weakens and you are far more prone to injuries, niggles, flu/cold etc. This is precisely why the modern international cricketers break down far more than the ones of yesteryears, even when they are playing less # of days of cricket per year. It is onething to be a vagabond of global scale for 10 months a year. It is totally another thing to be living in a cozy place for half the year and having the matches held 1 hour drive from your little cozy home.
the argument has taken a turn now. its not the number of matches you play now...its travelling.
Its more like the # of matches you are playing while travelling all over the place. I find it no coincidence that this travelling aspect is the biggest difference between a 1990s-present cricketer vs a 1970s/80s cricketer. PS: Yoda, thats a pretty silly comment- its not like Imran/Wasim are oracles, correct on everything.
I am sure sharma and Rp can form a good pair... not sure if Zak can hold up . But if we have Zak , Sharma and RP even on Sub Continent conditions they would be challenging. I said it earlier Glen Mcgrath has come back but with a slight change , now he is playing for India. :icflove:
yeh definitely liked the look of RP singh and sharma leading the attack. not sure where that leaves sreesanth.. zaheer might start to feel the pressure to play sharma. question: does india always need to pick 2 spinners for home games these days ?
yeh definitely liked the look of RP singh and sharma leading the attack. not sure where that leaves sreesanth.. zaheer might start to feel the pressure to play sharma. question: does india always need to pick 2 spinners for home games these days ?
I think India can afford playing 5 bowlers on Sub Continent pitches,the only Question is self belief which they showed at Perth by playing 5 Bowlers , 5 Batsman , 1 wktkpr .If they can do it at Perth why can't in India. If we have 5 bowlers all of them can have a break so that no one is over bowled.And Anil can have more options.
i also liked irfan pathan. i wondered why he wasnt getting a game at the start of the tour. he bowled superbly at the waca. looking at your pace bowlers perhaps your pitch currators should start making hard' date= bouncy wickets ;)
as if thats ever gonna happen.