Munaf doesn’t deserve a place in the team: Gavaskar

Kartikey

Adelaide: A livid Sunil Gavaskar today lashed out at Indian seamer Munaf Patel for his lackadaisical attitude on the field and suggested he should not have been included in the side that lost to Australia in the tri-series one-dayer here today. Furious with the pacer's sluggish fielding, the former captain said he had no problems with Munaf as a bowler but felt the pacer could neither really bat, nor did he give his best in the field. In such a situation, leg-spinner Piyush Chawla or all-rounder Praveen Kumar, who can bat a bit, would have been a better choice as the fourth bowler, Gavaskar said. "If he is among the three regular bowlers, it's okay but Munaf does not deserve a place as the fourth bowler. Because he cannot bat, he is useless as a fielder and in one-day cricket you need to do well in at least two aspects," Gavaskar said. ``I do not have anything against him. He is a good bowler. But his attitude on the field is just not right," Gavaskar said. Fielding at mid-wicket, Munaf cut a sorry figure when Michael Clarke worked a Harbhajan Singh delivery and ran three before the pacer could get to the ball. Munaf could be blamed for squandering at least one run out chance as well. While bowling, Munaf was nowhere in the scene to receive the point fielder's throw with James Hopes well short of his ground. In the 42nd over too, Irfan Pathan collected a ball at third man and threw it at the bowler's end. But Munaf again was not sighted anywhere near the stumps and Clarke was home. 'I couldn't refuse tempting offer from ICL' | Full coverage: India in Australia However, later captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni defended his decision to field Munaf, saying he needed a bowler "who does not think too much and bowls according to the field." "Munaf is a bowler who bowls according to the field which was important. He does not think too much. But with Sreesanth it is difficult when you need the bowler to bowl as per the field," Dhoni said. I agree with Sunny. I have also been saying this for ages that he should not be in the team. He cant do anything, well he does keep good players like Chawla out, he kept Irfan out against Pak before he got injured again. So kudos to Sunny:hatsoff::hatsoff:

i am not sure if piyush chawla is too great a fielder either.. have seen him drop and mis good ones easily.. during that england odi series in eng last year.. that said i won't mind seeing chawla get a chance.. he is another promising young lad.. but i won't blame Munaf here.. he bowled well yesterday.. his performance was decent last night..

i am not sure if piyush chawla is too great a fielder either.. have seen him drop and mis good ones easily.. that said i won't mind seeing chawla get a chance.. he is another promising young lad.. but i won't blame Munaf here.. he bowled well yesterday.. his performance was decent last night..
atleast Piyush can bat as shown by his performance in the Ranji Trophy.
Adelaide: A livid Sunil Gavaskar today lashed out at Indian seamer Munaf Patel for his lackadaisical attitude on the field and suggested he should not have been included in the side that lost to Australia in the tri-series one-dayer here today. Furious with the pacer's sluggish fielding, the former captain said he had no problems with Munaf as a bowler but felt the pacer could neither really bat, nor did he give his best in the field. "If he is among the three regular bowlers, it's okay but Munaf does not deserve a place as the fourth bowler. Because he cannot bat, he is useless as a fielder and in one-day cricket you need to do well in at least two aspects," Gavaskar said. ``I do not have anything against him. He is a good bowler. But his attitude on the field is just not right," Gavaskar said.
SMG is talking abt daadaji munna bhai patel's fielding (not his bowling). He is right abt the fielding aspect. Daadaji MP is about AS LAZY as they come on the field.
Munaf Patel fields better than Ganguly!? :omg:
Ganguly is like playing with a 10-man fielding team. P.S - I am being overly sarcastic.
Munaf's fielding is not Ganguly class. Ganguly still has a safe pair of hands while being a slow mover in the field.
When was the last time Munaf Patel dropped a catch ?
When was the last time Munaf Patel dropped a catch ?
When was the last time Munaf Patel played a test? Kolkata v. Pak. Very costly catch in fact. Pak were 293/5 chasing India's 616, and the new ball was 4 overs old. Had Munaf held onto the catch Akmal offered him, India would have had a crack at the tail with the new ball which could have yielded very different results.

Listen guys, a good bowler is worth its weight in gold--pure gold. We can't discard a good bowler for bad fielding. And it is the task of the fielding coach to bring Munaf on track while fielding, asking him to be awake after he has bowled a delivery and bring his fielding level to an acceptable one. One should not forget the background he has come from and the difficulties he might be facing in a world where everything moves so fast. Will you discard a natural talent because he is from village and did not take fielding as carefully in his formative years? It'll be ridiculous!