South Africa Test series set to trial TV referrals

Feed

The Summer Test series between England and South Africa is set to be the first to extend the television umpire's role, allowing him to rule on lbws and catches as well as run-outs and stumpings. Simon Briggs reports. More... By Simon Briggs Last Updated: 11:13pm GMT 17/02/2008 Next summer's Test series between England and South Africa is set to be the first to extend the television umpire's role, allowing him to rule on lbws and catches as well as run-outs and stumpings. According to proposals that will go before the International Cricket Council at next month's board meeting in Dubai, a referrals system is to be trialled during the four-Test series, which starts at Lord's on July 10. Each team will be allowed three chances to appeal to the TV umpire if they disagree with any decision made on the field. A similar system was trialled during last summer's Friends Provident trophy and flopped badly, with not a single on-field decision being overturned. But an investigation by the MCC's World Cricket Committee has decided that the problem did not lie in the idea itself, but in its application. The regulations for last summer's trial required that decisions should be altered only if "a clear and obvious mistake" had been made - a standard of proof that was difficult to reach given the limited technological aids available through Sky's county coverage. For a Test match, far more data can be accessed, especially if a high-speed camera that collects thousands of images per second can be brought on stream. The problem with this technology has always been that it takes several minutes. But the experts on the MCC's World Cricket Committee reckon they have found a camera that can make even the faintest feather of an edge visible to the TV umpire within seconds. They also hope that players who get a thin edge will 'walk' more often if the system is brought in, as any attempt at gamesmanship is likely to be exposed. "From what I have heard, the people on the MCC panel are on the point of delivering something new in terms of technology," said David Morgan, the incoming president of the ICC, who has been looking into the whole area of TV-assisted umpiring. "There is definitely a mood for change. I was in Australia during the Test series against India, and I said then that we have to embrace technology to make umpires' decision-making safer. We do not want to take any authority away from them, but this system will give them more information. "The plan still needs the approval of the ICC executive board, as well as the captains and national boards of England and South Africa. But if it goes through, it will be trialled across the whole series. "We have already seen one trial in one-day cricket, where the field is pretty well spread. But there may be more call for TV referrals in a Test, where you have more spin bowling and fielders clustered around the bat." The MCC have also written to their members, saying they have no plans to merge with Middlesex, despite reports in certain newspapers.

So is the incompetent umpiring era going to end? It doesn't say anything about challenge system which means that umpires will have the sole right to refer it to the TV umpire IF they feel they've doubt about something. But are the umpires going to leave their pig-headedness and ask the third umpire? For example has Bucknor found something doubtful in the huge nick of Symonds which he supposedly didn't hear? If he didn't hear it, why will he ask the third umpire? Can someone explain what the MCC is trying to do here?

Chandan, Read again... "which starts at Lord's on July 10. Each team will be allowed three chances to appeal to the TV umpire if they disagree with any decision made on the field."
Brilliant idea!!
Chandan, Read again... "which starts at Lord's on July 10. Each team will be allowed three chances to appeal to the TV umpire if they disagree with any decision made on the field."
Looks like I missed those lines: thanks finey! I suppose that'll be a brilliant idea but we need a bit more clarity here. Can a team use three challenges in the entire match, ie, two innings of batting and two innings of bowling? What if the team gets the decision in its favour? Will he retain the right to the challenge as many times or will he lose one? I suppose it'll have to be defined clearly.

finally sanity prevailing ... let the best team win ... not the team assisted by the umpires charm and randomness ... no surprise that teams which invariably get the short end of the stick will be inclined to trial this out. You see there is nothing in this for the Assies

Aah... Excellent. This is what I had wanted. Even though I have somehow coerced myself into aligning with the idea of using on-field referrals, I am silently hoping the idea proves to be a miserable failure with both the players and viewers rejecting it outright after some time. Mark my words, it will look really cool to start with, but beyond a point, all of us will hate referrals. The solution is not to expend or override the on-field umpire but rather, help him to get his decisions right

Aah... Excellent. This is what I had wanted. Even though I have somehow coerced myself into aligning with the idea of using on-field referrals' date='[b'] I am silently hoping the idea proves to be a miserable failure with both the players and viewers rejecting it outright after some time.
More miserable a failure than what happened at Sydney? :hysterical:

i wonder how this will work...surely there will be TV sets in the dressing rooms. Hawkeye takes no time to appear on the screen so i'm sure they could see that and appeal it straight away, therefore knowing that they are right. as much as we complain about technology...i think this is too much. It's just gonna add up the minutes to the game and so we'll see 10 hour games instead of the usual 8.5

Referral system will be used for the State final New Zealand Cricket will continue to trial a player referralsystem in the State Shield final between State Auckland Aces andState Otago Volts at Eden Park Outer Oval on Sunday More... Player referral system for State final Print | Send to friend | Email update Related Articles McCullum blasts Volts into final Sponsored Links Researching Property Experience the BIG little City Feb 29, 2008 New Zealand Cricket will continue to trial a player referral system in the State Shield final between State Auckland Aces and State Otago Volts at Eden Park Outer Oval on Sunday. With the assistance of Sky TV, NZC will extend the project which was in place at last month's State Twenty20 final and implemented in England's Pro40 Cup last year after consultation with the International Cricket Council. "Players will be entitled to request the referral of an on-field umpire's decision to the TV umpire," said New Zealand Cricket CEO Justin Vaughan. "New Zealand Cricket is keen to trial the use of technology in assisting decisions and is supportive of this trial of the Player Referral System. "This trial is designed to assist umpires and although player referrals may occur, the authority of the umpires is fully maintained. NZC will report back on the outcomes of the trial to the ICC. "We are extremely grateful to Sky TV for their assistance. Without them, we would be unable to continue with this project."