IPL: The Great auction thread

Feed

Exactly, Sameer. Nothing about fair and not fair. The teams here spend money to make money. Right now Uthappa, Dhoni, Jayasuriya and co. will bring people in as they're all active, high profile players. No need to spend that money on a Badrinath or Sangwan because most people will not bother going to see them, they aren't like to become big draws. Warne's retired formally, played his last test over a year ago and has stuck to lower profile cricket since. He's no longer a major draw in the same sense. This isn't about money being spent for talent or ability, it's for sheer market value. Jayasuriya, Symonds, Ponting, etc = Marketable. Uthappa, Kaif, Yuvraj, Dhoni = More Marketable, because the Indian public is even more familiar with them. Badrinath, Sangwan, etc = "Who?" to most people bar a very small minority of serious fans.

Good Points Salil. The other reasons which might have influenced the bidders could be 1) 20-20 is essentially a game for the young and fit, so some young Indian players got bid for more than some legends of the game. 2) Plans for three years not just this year(some players are I guess are too old to last three years at the top of their game if they have retired from International cricket and Obviously not even playing much domestic cricket) 3) Indian Cricket Calendar will ensure that all Indian players will be available to play all the matches, unlike players from other countries, where their boards would not be that keen to alter their schedule as per IPL schedules.

Plus, many other random factors, like which team had how much money left, what players they had picked before etc. $9,75,000 for Jayasuriya is just nonsense, he is just a batsman, a not so good one at that, his bowling and fielding isnt that great. The best performers of 20/20 are those who can do 2/3 aspects of cricket well, or be truly outstanding at one. Sanath is niether. BTW, this auction has just confirmed that Dhoni is, currently, the biggest saleable star in Indian cricket. $1.5 for him is just staggering, so is the $1.35 for Symmonds. Symmonds will probably throw a lavish party to his mates tonight, so will Sanath. Imagine, Sanath, now 38 and DROPPED for his his own one day team for the next series, getting a windfall like this. I am beginning to think not becoming a professional cricketer is the biggest mistake of my life. The way its going at the moment, I may not be too averse to a late career change either.
Sanath Jayasuriya is arguably the best ODI all rounder ever. He's safe in the field, a destroyer with the bat, and bowls handy left arm spin.

In my opinion, Chennai will win. They have MS Dhoni who is a very good captain and also a very good wicket keeper and batsman. He is capable of hitting whilst being adept at nudging twos and threes. Hayden and Muralitharan need no explaining. Stephen Fleming does not have the greatest T20 record but is vastly experienced at the game and has five fifties under his belt. Hussey has a good T20 record as well as being a good fielder. Jacob Oram has a superb T20 batting record (though his bowling record is shocking). Albie is a solid all rounder. Suresh Raina has the ability to be a quick scorer as well as being a very good fielder who helps to fill one of the U22 criteria.

it does so dhoni has earned six crores without even playing a match . baith baithe 6 crore kamaliya easy money ...kya naseeb hain:haha:
wow i thought the money goes to BCCI then yeh it is kinda unfair on these players they join IPL in hopes of big $$$ and end up with nothing

wow i thought the money goes to BCCI then yeh it is kinda unfair on these players they join IPL in hopes of big $$$ and end up with nothing
David got paid $250 million for next 5 yrs when he signed up with LA galaxy. Did the money go to English soccer board or USA football league ? :P

Badrinath' date=' Sangwan, Pujara etc. are going to make 10-50000$ whereas Tiwary is going to make 600,000$. I don't care about the overseas players...they are here to make free money anyways. But the domestic guys should not be humiliated like this.[/quote'] well if you made international cut by the time the auction was held you are in a different league. i agree that the difference shouldn't be this much. but the team which picked tiwary for 600k deserves him.

I can confirm now that ALL the bidding money goes to the players' date=' the BCCI gets nothing[/quote'] Wrong. BCCI makes 20% of the difference between the bidding price and the base price. So if base price for Dhoni was 200,000 and he was bid 1.5 million. Dhoni gets 1.25 million and BCCI pockets 260,000. That is why they encouraged the bidding to go on and on and they make more money out of it.

In my opinion, Chennai will win. They have MS Dhoni who is a very good captain and also a very good wicket keeper and batsman. He is capable of hitting whilst being adept at nudging twos and threes. Hayden and Muralitharan need no explaining. Stephen Fleming does not have the greatest T20 record but is vastly experienced at the game and has five fifties under his belt. Hussey has a good T20 record as well as being a good fielder. Jacob Oram has a superb T20 batting record (though his bowling record is shocking). Albie is a solid all rounder. Suresh Raina has the ability to be a quick scorer as well as being a very good fielder who helps to fill one of the U22 criteria.
who is going to bowl for them?

who is going to bowl for them?
Muralitharan will be critical based on the effect of spinners in past T20s. Albie Morkel could chip in his four overs too. However, I am sure that a few of the star bowlers will be unknown domestic players, as has been the case in past domestic T20 tournaments where the star bowlers (such as James Anderson in England) have been expensive due to either having pace on the ball or flighting the ball too much in the case of spinners. The pitches have been specified to be fast, flat batting friendly tracks and in that case, it will be the role of the bowlers to be accurate and steady, rather than spectacular. However, it is a valid point that Chennai have weak bowling.