Guess who was declared the winner of this match?

Yes' date=' indeed![/quote'] Oh My... !! Imagine the prospect of sharing the room with Arun Lal ! Even contemplating that prospect sends the shudders through my spine.. All night, all day, he will go on endlessly about vegetarianism, how the eagle is a wonderful animal and how he did a state-of-the-art sophisticated experiment in his academy, with a piece of thread, to prove that if a ball bowled by a right-arm bowler, from over the wicket, has to swing in to hit the stumps, if it pitches in the line of the stumps ! Its miracle those players somehow summoned the courage and patience to endure him and yet keep playing cricket !
Actually' date=' Lal was a terrific bat for Bengal for many years... his talents though never translated to the int'l level where he had a pretty average record.[/quote'] Was he ever made captain ? Imagine him, winning the toss, opting to bat first and telling the batsman - " The pitch is green and moist, but the ball will not swing. Its hard underneath, but it wont bounce. The pitch will break-down, but it wont be unplayable". After all, isnt this the same nonsense everytime he blurts in the name of a pitch report ! And if the match is a tense situation and players in the dressing room are very nervous, Lal will suddenly go " Aaah ! what a wonderful bird in the sky. Thats called the blue-billed sparrow. It was first discovered in 1520 by Greek philosopher named Timistotle. It weighs about .8 lbs, is 17 cms long.....................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... *20 mins later*.. So thats why everyone must preserve birds"
Bengal was declared the winner on some points obscure basis.
Not *that* obscure actually, and not points in the first place. This was a knockout game, and as Bengal and Karnataka had played different numbers of games in the leagues (that too in different divisions), points couldn't be taken. Per Ranji rules, in a draw, the team with the first innings lead took the extra points and advanced - but Bengal hadn't completed their first innings. Had Karnataka taken that last wicket they'd have advanced. Instead equal points were awarded to both teams in keeping with the rules - but to see who advanced, the run rates of the teams were taken. Bengal had a RR of 3.26 for the game, Karnataka were 3.17 so Bengal advanced. http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1990-91/IND_LOCAL/RANJI/RANJI_1990-91-RULES.html Either way, wouldn't have mattered - the winners would have played Haryana (as Bengal did), and ONLY Bombay at the time could stop Haryana (Bengal had the batting, but not the bowling to match). Haryana had a stacked side with guys like Kaypee (major domestic bully), Jadeja, Vijay Yadav, Kapil Dev and Chetan Sharma - ended up outplaying Bengal comfortably in the semi to advance. That of course led to that EPIC Bombay v. Haryana semi final - the one where Vengsarkar and Tendulkar went for broke on the final afternoon with the spectacular 'death or glory' partnership, before Bombay collapsed and eventually fell 2 short despite one of the all time great f/c innings from Vengsarkar - who was left crying on the field when Kuruvilla was run out.
Instead equal points were awarded to both teams in keeping with the rules - but to see who advanced, the run rates of the teams were taken. Bengal had a RR of 3.26 for the game, Karnataka were 3.17 so Bengal advanced.
I think Bengal also won their first Ranji on the basis of RR against Delhi.
[ That of course led to that EPIC Bombay v. Haryana semi final - the one where Vengsarkar and Tendulkar went for broke on the final afternoon with the spectacular 'death or glory' partnership, before Bombay collapsed and eventually fell 2 short despite one of the all time great f/c innings from Vengsarkar - who was left crying on the field when Kuruvilla was run out.
It was the final. Haryana won the Ranji trophy by 2 runs. Their first and only time that they won. Kapil Dev's crowning glory, I think.
Oh My... !! Imagine the prospect of sharing the room with Arun Lal ! Even contemplating that prospect sends the shudders through my spine.. All night, all day, he will go on endlessly about vegetarianism, how the eagle is a wonderful animal and how he did a state-of-the-art sophisticated experiment in his academy, with a piece of thread, to prove that if a ball bowled by a right-arm bowler, from over the wicket, has to swing in to hit the stumps, if it pitches in the line of the stumps ! Its miracle those players somehow summoned the courage and patience to endure him and yet keep playing cricket !
I don't really get you dude. Although probably trying to be funny and sarcastic, some of you have been making a lot of fuss and needless jokes over Arun Lal's praiseworthy effort to save the environment while idolizing proven cheats even by OZ standard, well done :hatsoff:
I don't really get you dude. Although probably trying to be funny and sarcastic' date=' some of you have been making a lot of fuss and needless jokes over Arun Lal's praiseworthy effort to save the environment while idolizing proven cheats even by OZ standard, well done :hatsoff:[/quote'] Ana, you are terribly mistaken, thats all I can say. Making fun of Lal's comments on environment preservation while during commentary doesnt make me a nature-hater. Nor does defending some of the Aussie actions make me a default Aussie admirer. I sincerely hope you get this.