RSA v Bangla

Gambit

Give Amla slow tracks and spinners and he'll average lots. Give him a bit of bounce, three pacers capable of cranking it above 140 with swing and that wrist position of his is going to see him average Not always. I cant put my numbers on stats right now, but he has coming up with a series of good scores in the home test series'. After his dismal performance against us during end 2006 and early 2007, he has really come of age as a batsman. Since that series against Ind, Amla has had a productive time, as his record shows. In his last tests, he has averaged 49, with 2 100s and 2 50s 8 13 1 589 176* 49.08 These matches have been against Pakistan, NZ and West Indies, all with decent pace attacks.

Scores from Amla's last 10 games: V. Pakistan: 5, 16, 2, 3, 71, 0, 10, 17 V. New Zealand: 12 when Bond was fit, 176* when Bond broke down, 103 in the next game when trundler Iain O'Brien came in instead. V. WI: 29, 8, 32, 37, then 69 in the one test where Taylor and Edwards were both not fit and still picked. v. Bangla: 25 here. Interesting trend that the two hundreds you speak so highly of came against crap New Zealand attacks. As for the fifties, one came on a painfully slow pitch at Karachi where Shoaib Malik was ripping the ball before lunch on the first day. The other against WI in a game where Bravo was missing and their pacers were unfit and exhausted. Eh, back your horse. I'll just hope India play to his weaknesses (and their strengths) and don't offer him any flat, slow wickets where he can pile up big scores.

His runs, in his last 8 tests, have been made against bowlers like Asif, Gul, Bond,Martin, Gillespie, Darren Powell, Fidel Edwards, and most of those tests have been played in the bouncy tracks of S.Africa. So, I dunno where you got your "Give him a bit of bounce, three pacers capable of cranking it above 140 with swing and that wrist position of his is going to see him average

His runs, in his last 8 tests, have been made against bowlers like Asif, Gul, Bond,Martin, Gillespie, Darren Powell, Fidel Edwards, and most of those tests have been played in the bouncy tracks of S.Africa.
Misconception 1: Bond was fit for the tests where he made runs. Wrong. Bond was fit in the first innings (where coincidentally Amla failed), then bowled in the second injury with a fitness problem at half-****, then didn't bowl in the next test. Amla made 176 when Bond was unfit and 103 when Bond wasn't there. Read my post. Misconception 2: Asif and Gul were over 140 when he made runs v. them. Wrong again. Of those knocks I mentioned, his 71 came on a very slow pitch. You obviously did not watch that match, else you would remember that Asif and Gul barely clocked above 135 at times on a pitch where they either were unfit or not putting in any effort due to its sluggishness. Misconception 3: Martin and Gillespie clock over 140+ regularly. They don't. Maybe in ODIs, but they're not capable of sustaining that pace so regularly over tests. Misconception 4: Amla made runs v. Powell and Edwards when they toured. 2 scores in the 30s, one in the 20s and a fifty in the final test when the attack was completely gone due to the schedule and injuries. Did you watch that match and take note of the pace either of those bowlers was clocking? I'd go on, but I'll just wait until Amla comes up against some quality pace bowling and fails again.

Mohammad Ashraful to de Villiers, OUT, what a bizarre dismissal! Ashraful dishes out a rank half tracker which bounces twice to de Villiers, he stays back and tries to pull and gets a thick top edge which is taken easily by Ashraful. Now de Villiers believes it is a dead ball and stays at the crease. After a few anxious moments Bucknor gives him out and de Villiers walks back dumbfounded

Mohammad Ashraful to de Villiers' date=' OUT, what a bizarre dismissal! Ashraful dishes out a rank half tracker which bounces twice to de Villiers, he stays back and tries to pull and gets a thick top edge which is taken easily by Ashraful. Now de Villiers believes it is a dead ball and stays at the crease. After a few anxious moments Bucknor gives him out and de Villiers walks back dumbfounded[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

cricinfo says : Law 24: Ball bouncing more than twice or rolling along the ground: The umpire at the bowler's end shall call and signal No ball if a ball which he considers to have been delivered, without having previously touched the bat or person of the striker, either (i) bounces more than twice or (ii) rolls along the ground before it reaches the popping crease.