RSA v Bangla

Gambit

Even this match carries more interest for me than all the IPL games put together. No Nel or Harris- SA's two best bowlers on the Pakistan trip. The much fancied Morne Morkel gets a look in, while Gibbs is banished to the sidelines. Shape of things to come for the India series?

Because some of us get more enjoyment out of a test match unfolding as part of a bigger tour than we do from a Mickey Mouse Twenty20 played by a bunch of ad hoc contrived teams. Although Dhondy, I wonder if Nel and Harris are being rested for India. I can't imagine both would be left out, especially after the fine job Harris did against India and Pakistan at home and in Pakistan recently. Botha in just doesn't make sense though/ Gibbs' removal could be a huge own goal, especially if India play two spinners in the tests (likely, given the venues). Today's play ought to be fascinating. Bangladesh could really be in this if they get a couple of early wickets. I suspect that in the new, post-Pollock age, South Africa might be a lot easier to roll over from 6 down than they've ever been (although in this game we'll say 7 down, given that Botha's a nightwatchman). Botha, Morkel, Ntini and Steyn is the weakest lowest order they've had with the bat for a while now.

Botha's action still looks like ass. Him and Harbhajan in the same test should have the purists drooling. Habitual Bashar annoys me more than the younger Bangla bats. 50 tests, ex-captain, and he still bats like he's got someplace to be. I don't know why the Bangladesh batting unit find it so difficult to get the cowboy mentality out of their heads. It's frustrating to watch. I wouldnt be surprised to see Ntini sit out the whole of the test series against India. Despite the great service he's given to SA over the years, he's listless on the subcontinent.

Botha - no surprise. Then again, I won't complain about him being in the SAF side as I rate him as a real pie chucker (in all senses of that term) compared to the much better Harris, and hope some of the middle order bats tear him to pieces. With Ntini, the key thing is that he adds to the quota players list. [sAF selector] Surely that's more important than how he bowls on the subcontinental wickets! [/sAF selector]

Because some of us get more enjoyment out of a test match unfolding as part of a bigger tour than we do from a Mickey Mouse Twenty20 played by a bunch of ad hoc contrived teams. Although Dhondy, I wonder if Nel and Harris are being rested for India. I can't imagine both would be left out, especially after the fine job Harris did against India and Pakistan at home and in Pakistan recently. Botha in just doesn't make sense though/ Gibbs' removal could be a huge own goal, especially if India play two spinners in the tests (likely, given the venues). Today's play ought to be fascinating. Bangladesh could really be in this if they get a couple of early wickets. I suspect that in the new, post-Pollock age, South Africa might be a lot easier to roll over from 6 down than they've ever been (although in this game we'll say 7 down, given that Botha's a nightwatchman). Botha, Morkel, Ntini and Steyn is the weakest lowest order they've had with the bat for a while now.
Oh yeah, no doubt Gunther & Harris will both figure against India. It would be mad to leave them out. Interesting to see how long this McEnzie experiment lasts. So far, in the limited turnouts he's had, he's been a complete failure as an opener. And yes, with Pollock gone, that tail looks quite prehensile.
Oh yeah, no doubt Gunther & Harris will both figure against India. It would be mad to leave them out. Interesting to see how long this McEnzie experiment lasts. So far, in the limited turnouts he's had, he's been a complete failure as an opener. And yes, with Pollock gone, that tail looks quite prehensile.
First time in years I can remember SAF looking this brittle down the order. In the past they'd have Brian McMillan at 7 and Richardson at 8, later Symcox and Craig Matthews and eventually Pollock and Klusener.
With Ntini, the key thing is that he adds to the quota players list. [sAF selector] Surely that's more important than how he bowls on the subcontinental wickets! [/sAF selector]
Ahh, of course. Silly me. Gibbs also counts towards the quota, doesnt he? Christ, from an Indian POV, I'm a whole lot more comfortable with Ntini in the squad than Gibbs. The way Smith's going, he's going to need some face paint to stay in the SA test side. And not before time....a more gargantuan twat on the cricket field I am yet to see.
The way Smith's going' date=' he's going to need some face paint to stay in the SA test side. And not before time....a more gargantuan twat on the cricket field I am yet to see.[/quote'] Hence why I suspect Neil MacKenzie's in the side, Dhondy. Smith's struggling with the bat and there aren't many people likely to replace him if he's dropped - as an opener or as skipper. McKenzie's got a lot of good press from SAF as a good captain in domestics, and I get the feeling that if Smith's form gets to the point that he can't keep his spot, McKenzie would replace him as skip.

All you connoisseurs are a strange bunch ! Why you guys condemn 20/20 cricket as some sort of farce I dont understand. Is it because you see it as a direct competition to the traditional forms of the game ? Such an outlook is flawed to begin with. Why cant we embrace 20/20 as just another form of cricket, played in a different way. Anyways, dont want to hijack this debate with another T20 Vs test cricket talk. Vis-a-vis the OP, I would definitely like to keep tabs on whats going on, esp with the Saffies touring Ind next.

What makes you think we're just blindly condemning it? I've seen a ton of T20s ranging from what's been offered on the international scene, English domestic and Australian circuit, and very little has really impressed me. I'd rather watch Kallis bat for a day. (And this tour might be the ideal opportunity for him to get that elusive double. Hope he at least gets it at Chittagong, then piles up another 2-3 in England.)

Don't get me started on this, Sriram. Even my shaggy, flea infested, hernia ridden, tapeworm filled dog wouldn't p1ss on IPL.
I know I know. I rather keep mum on this topic, for now. Getting back to the OP, It will be fascinating to see how the Saffie pacers perform on this tour. Guys like Steyn have been blitzing opposition batsman like they were supposed to be there, on the green turfs of S.Africa. Will he able to replicate his performances in the sub-continent too ? Steyn relies a LOT on swing, contrary to his image as a tearaway quick. If the cant swing the ball on the brown-tops of Asia, that will be an important weapon missing from his arsenal. Morkel is also an important man to watch out for. Amongst the batsman, I tip Amla and Prince to prosper. Amla has been threatening to enter into the VERY good batsman category, after being relegated in the decent batsman category for long. His game is well suited for play in Asia. Prince and Amla will thrive in Asia, I reckon.