Gambhir or Jaffer for tests?

Kartikey

The guy is obviously in great form, and we don't have an opener in form to go with Viru so this combo fits perfectly at the moment. Gambhir can partner Viru at the top with the Fab 4 and Dhoni going down to 7. The only problem is our pacers have played so well, who are we going to drop. Say Jumbo and Bhajji play, then we have only two spots. But we have Zaheer, RP (if both recover, Irfan, Ishant and Sreesanth. Its going to be difficult for Jumbo.

I say play with 5 bowlers... bhaji , jumbo, Zaks,Irfan,Ishant. Irfan batting at no 7 is ideal... so 5 batsmans / 5 bowlers (irfan - alrounder,Jumbo,harbhajan,Zaks no mug with bat ) 1 wkp. On Indian pitches playing 6 bats is luxury given the form we showed this tour.

I say play with 5 bowlers... bhaji , jumbo, Zaks,Irfan,Ishant. Irfan batting at no 7 is ideal... so 5 batsmans / 5 bowlers (irfan - alrounder,Jumbo,harbhajan,Zaks no mug with bat ) 1 wkp. On Indian pitches playing 6 bats is luxury given the form we showed this tour.
thats fine but who will open and who will be dropped??
GG Viru Rahul SRT VVS MSD Irfan Anil bhajji Ishant Zaks SG 12th Man - Drinks
I agree with you MHR. SG should retire from both forms of the game. hes a better ODI player than tests, so if anything ganguly should of been kept for ODIs rather than tests for me the line up should more look like this Gambhir Sehwag Laxman Tendulkar Dravid Dhoni Pathan Kumble Harbhajan Sharma Zaheer Khan

gambhir should play tests. he has done well in tests before as well. the test team for the sa series should look like - gambhir sehwag laxman tendulkar dravid rohit sharma/raina - 1 young batsman needs to be given a chance dhoni(w) kumble© harbhajan zaheer ishant in indian pitches, we should go in with 2 spinners on turning tracks. also go in with 7 batsmen to start developing batsmen for the future. dravid & ganguly will retire by the end of this year. only tendulkar & laxman will be around for 2-3 more years

Though I agree GG should be brought into the test side asap, I would like to see him as Middle Order batsman rather than an Opener, where IMO he is most likely to get success. Though he is having a dream ODI run, I still am a little skeptical about his Technique to survive in the Test Opening slot. And to me he is the best player of spin bowling in the available pool of players we have.

Gambhir will make into the test squad, but into the test-eleven just as yet. I reckon Jaffer will get one last chance. There no way a player can be dropped after 3 bad tests. And anyways, good performance in ODIs does NOT mean an automatic inclusion into the test side. Test spots dont come easy, they have come the hard way. I think the eleven for the first test will look like this, Sehwag Gambhir Dravid Sachin Ganguly Laxman Dhoni Kumble Pathan/Bhajji/Sreesanth Ishant/Zak RPS

I agree with you MHR. SG should retire from both forms of the game. hes a better ODI player than tests, so if anything ganguly should of been kept for ODIs rather than tests for me the line up should more look like this Gambhir Sehwag Laxman Tendulkar Dravid Dhoni Pathan Kumble Harbhajan Sharma Zaheer Khan
another thread maligning ganguly- the guy who did the most for indian cricket is swatted like a fly now by some knobs, reflects the posters poor character really