Music is in Punjabi blood

randomGuy

Nothing quite like dhol beats to get those legs dancing. 

While Punjabi contemporary and folk music is definitely quite popular amongst the masses, there’s def’n been attempts at the various genres of music from hip hop style, rock, soft rock, metal,soft, rap,etc.  At the end of the day, it’s a business like market and most singers will deliver what sells  and seldom like to experiment to kill the monotony.  To find these various forms, you just need to search for it.  In fact,  there’s tons of variety in the indigenous forms of music all the way from qawalis, boliyan, bhangra, mahiya, dhola, tappe, sithaniyan, ghoriyan, qissa,tumba-alghoza ballads, kavishari to the dhadi vaars,etc, etc. Despite the Punjabi pop, contemporary and various classic indigenous forms of music,   there’s  also a  strong foundation of classical music to fall back to i.e the religious hymns (shabads) which resonate at the gurudwaras,etc

There’s a saying something along the lines of music is my religion.  Well, in the literal sense, it applies to Punjabis or at least the Sikhs.  The Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS), the Sikh holy book, gurbani in the form of shabads(hymns)  is classified according to the classical Indian musical scales/moods( raags) from Raag Ramkali, Raag Malkauns, Raag Dhanasri, Raag Bilawal,etc all the way to even Raag Kannada.  You can say, we are blessed to have music (classical) intertwined with gurbani in the form of shabads in the SGGS.  Not to forget the usage of fine instruments from tabla, sarangi, rubab,taus,dilruba,etc.  In fact, some of the popular contemporary Punjabi singers/musicians get their initiation to music at an early age through shabad kirtan learning the table/harmonium either at school or gurdwaras.. 

Anyways, in my opinion, the true essence of music in the end is what touches your heart. There’s enough variety to satiate your music taste buds..no need to be classist or elitist about it.

Edited by PBN

21 minutes ago, PBN said:

Anyhow, going on a tangent.  Back to @randomGuy OP, if you like that song  try this one. same style prolly ignore lyrics/jatt yatt,etc lol.  might be  monotonic if one listens to a lot of punjabi songs but nonetheless try it

Haha. Guess what, this song has been my caller tune for past 3 months now. People call me and say why I picked up and didn't let them listen to the song longer. 

Edit : there's a recent song (well, relatively recent) called laung lachi. What a marvelous song again! I guess it must be close to 750 million on YouTube. It will be 5-10-20 billion views i think... 

Edited by randomGuy

On 4/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, randomGuy said:

Haha. Guess what, this song has been my caller tune for past 3 months now. People call me and say why I picked up and didn't let them listen to the song longer. 

Edit : there's a recent song (well, relatively recent) called laung lachi. What a marvelous song again! I guess it must be close to 750 million on YouTube. It will be 5-10-20 billion views i think... 

haha good one.

Tbh, was surprised that laung lachi has become one of the most popular songs from India though it is quite catchy despite its simplicity and quite well received from all corners of the country and beyond.

I want to highlight Rabbi Shergill’s music especially the first album Rabbi which came out around 2004. The music and lyrics which have been taken from Punjabi literature make it quite special. Probably one of the best albums out there especially considering it has been around 15 years since the debut.  Some notable songs include Bulla, Tere bin sanu sohneya (appeared in the movie Delhi Heights as well), Heer, Ek geet hijar da, Ishtiar (Ik kudi).  That’s quite a lot of top songs packed into one album.  Rabbi did another album, Avengi ja nahi, a couple of years after that from which I enjoyed the title song Avengi ja nahi, Ballo, and Pagrhi sambhal jatta.  Though not quite able to replicate the magic of his debut album.

Bulla

Tere Bin (new version), for the original check out Tere Bin Delhi Heights

Ik Geet Hijar Da

Heer

Avengi Ja Nahin