Sachin's 42nd hundred celebration!

Even Thal will agree though that as good as Rohit might be' date=' nobody can ever replace Tendulkar.[/quote'] Of course. Nobody of that class can be replaced. For what it's worth, plenty would say Vijay Manjrekar could never be replaced. Neither could Gavaskar, or as a leader, Ajit Wadekar. They all left their own marks on the Indian side. Same with Tendulkar. He'll be remembered, celebrated, and someone else will move into his batting spot in the future - but he won't ever be replaced. Rohit isn't going to be another Tendulkar. He'll be Rohit Sharma, and I expect he'll be one of the finest batsmen of the next generation, and another name to add to that batting pantheon with due time.
It's just so demoralising to see people knock his second innings record in ODIs after he's spent his greatest summer in Test cricket in Australia, scoring two big tons when his team needed them the most. It's as if people need the slightest excuse to knock him off his pedestal. If he scores Test match tons, then it's the ODIs. If he maxes it in the first innings of ODIs, then it's his weakness chasing totals. Or finals. Or something.
Yup. Tall poppy syndrome at its best. The man's among the classiest men and players to have graced the game, and while he's enjoying this renaissance any cricket fan ought to be enjoying it. For people to nitpick holes in his record that are ultimately irrelevant is incredibly infantile and churlish and says plenty about their understanding and knowledge of the game.
Doesn't come any better than this, does it? Anchored the innings from first ball to last, going at damn near a run a ball, played some exhilarating shots others can only dream of, and urged an youngster to believe in himself and dream about achieving the greatness on display at the other end of the pitch. And what about his conduct when Brett Lee beamed him? No reproach, not even a stare, just a tacit acknowledgement that a mistake had been made, let's move on, no problem. Class!
Yup. The ultimate role model. Didn't respond with a flurry of curses and invective, didn't whine and complain, just accepted the apology with grace and went back to face another ball. The whole cricketing world should be made to watch and learn from that.

Thal, did you see his reaction when Rohit got out? I think Johnson was bowling. The first shot was a scorching cover drive, with the minimum of effort it seemed, that bissected cover and extracover like a laser beam. The second, to a ball outside the off, measured at 145 kph, was flicked past midwicket for a couple with the same nonchalance with which people turn a page.

I never knock Sachin down. I know he is the only guy who can win us games consistently. But i am worried about the rest and with Dhonis preference with 5 bowlers. The other batsmen are not performing all that well. I dont think we can depend on Sachin again, in the next game. Someone else has to step up.

My thoughts, Gilly said something to Little Master when he appealed for caught behind. There was some tension. Sachin's reply was inside out shot off Hogg. And from there he never looked like getting out. You aussies, learn not to sledge Little Master else you will pay dearly.

Nothing changes. Some will criticize him if he fails in the next game. Some will say he didn't average as much as Gambhir or Hussey did so he's not that good. Expect some to post average for 7 days before this game and mention he's not consistent :D
Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, the knock doesn't change anything. Even if Tendulkar had gotten out for a duck, it wouldn't make a difference. He has reached a stage in his career where even if he makes zeros for the next year, he would still be the greatest batsman India has ever produced. The true cricket enthusiasts who know what they are talking about will always appreciate his efforts (he has plenty to show for in the 2nd innings), and the whiners and p akis will b itch, moan and whine about him no matter how many runs he scores. I'll bet when he gets out for 12 in the next final, he will be sh it again. My point - retarded critics are incurable and class doesn't diminish, even after 20 years.

Actually I am not sure the purpose of this thread, though I must say I am not surprised. Heck I am even happy that this was started by a cricket buff like Salil and not some Sachin-is-my-God-and-I-am-blind-as-a-bat fan. Sachin's critics, and that would include me, are NOT Sachin's critics itself as such. They are more often than not a proponent of a change of guard. It is not that Sachin is desired to be dropped but Dravid(or for that matter VVS, Ganguly etc) are to be played. No. The old guard should make place for the new. And in this series,both Test and LOI now, the young guns have made India proud, prouder than the older order. Men like Ishant, Dhoni, Rohit Sharma etc have all put their hands up and counted. I would definitely love to see Sachin keep up his good form, only good for India, but what elates me more is how quickly Indian young guns are coming up. It is not the performance only but the sheer comfort they bestow on the highest level in arguably the toughest series one plays.

Actually I am not sure the purpose of this thread, though I must say I am not surprised. Heck I am even happy that this was started by a cricket buff like Salil and not some Sachin-is-my-God-and-I-am-blind-as-a-bat fan. Sachin's critics, and that would include me, are NOT Sachin's critics itself as such. They are more often than not a proponent of a change of guard. It is not that Sachin is desired to be dropped but Dravid(or for that matter VVS, Ganguly etc) are to be played. No. The old guard should make place for the new. And in this series,both Test and LOI now, the young guns have made India proud, prouder than the older order. Men like Ishant, Dhoni, Rohit Sharma etc have all put their hands up and counted. I would definitely love to see Sachin keep up his good form, only good for India, but what elates me more is how quickly Indian young guns are coming up. It is not the performance only but the sheer comfort they bestow on the highest level in arguably the toughest series one plays.
The purpose of this thread is very clear. Gloat when your idol stikes. It is no different from any thread started by his critics when he fails. He has failed miserable at times and has succeeded even more times. That is the reason he has been selected to play for India for almost 18 years now. There is no point in criticisng him anymore as he has done enough. Hanging his boots is left to him. If has bought the rights to that issue. He should play as long as he likes to play. I hope he does continue and retire when he feels like, contributing in which ever way he can.
Hanging his boots is left to him. If has bought the rights to that issue. He should play as long as he likes to play. I hope he does continue and retire when he feels like, contributing in which ever way he can.
Thats where I dont disagree. It should be left to no individual player to decide when he wants to go. Why should it be?? I can agree to better players being given longer rope etc but I fail to see why any player, no matter how big he may be, gets to decide when he should retire. Thats plain demigodery, or whatever is the correct word.
Thats where I dont disagree. It should be left to no individual player to decide when he wants to go. Why should it be?? I can agree to better players being given longer rope etc but I fail to see why any player, no matter how big he may be, gets to decide when he should retire. Thats plain demigodery, or whatever is the correct word.
And if he is batting like Sachin is at the moment, why ever not?

when you say youngster have done well?? you are confusing batsman and bowlers. all of our pacers are young and they have contributed well, But our young batsman still are not upto it. They will need couple of senior pro to guide them. Rohit did play well today and I am sure he will agree it was Sachin's influence.

Exactly. In the grand scheme of things, the knock doesn't change anything. Even if Tendulkar had gotten out for a duck, it wouldn't make a difference. He has reached a stage in his career where even if he makes zeros for the next year, he would still be the greatest batsman India has ever produced. The true cricket enthusiasts who know what they are talking about will always appreciate his efforts (he has plenty to show for in the 2nd innings), and the whiners and p akis will b itch, moan and whine about him no matter how many runs he scores. I'll bet when he gets out for 12 in the next final, he will be sh it again. My point - retarded critics are incurable and class doesn't diminish, even after 20 years.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: This is the funniest post I have ever read. From the guy who was slamming him 12 months ago and slating him left right and center. You were calling for him to be axed and retire. The master silences another critic. :hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: This is the funniest post I have ever read. From the guy who was slamming him 12 months ago and slating him left right and center. You were calling for him to be axed and retire. The master silences another critic. :hysterical:
I said he should have been dropped from the test side. Made sense back then 'cos he wasn't scoring any runs. Never said he should retire. I am glad you found it funny