Hypothetical, what if Australia threatened to go home?

Nah but they are more pragmatic and sane minded I would say. Though I also hate to pigeonhole people based on region. I am reminded of the Chennai Test where Pakistan beat India by 15 odd runs(the one in which Sachin scored hundred in second innings). At the end of the game the Chennai crowd gave a standing ovation to Pakistan which stumped Wasim Akram completely and till date he mentions that as one of his favorite experience on cricket field. Now would Mohali do that to Pakistan in 90s at the height of Kashmir and Kargil? Fuggedabout it. xxx
seriouzly i doubt if they would do.. few passionate cricket fanz might stand up and applaud the oppositionz.. but not sure if majority of ppl would give any ovation.. may be yes to any other team like Nz or someone.. but i don't think they will applaud pakistan much :haha:
Exactly the same deal' date=' substitute Warne for Harby (not that hard) and Ganguly for Symonds..now...Warne says to Ganguly something with which Ganguly takes racial offense to. Subsequently Warne is charged and suspended under racial villification for which there is no real proof.....Ponting says we're going unless the decision is overturned...[/quote'] Mate, I think the result would have been left to the match referee and subsequent appeals committee. But i dont get the point in your questioning
All I know is' date=' Pakistanis cherish the moment. A year ago I was chatting with a Pakistani, we were getting to know each other, I said I was in chennai [he was from NWFP']... as soon he heard that, he started talking about the Chennai test match, and he talks about it a lot.
Yes Pakistanis have a lot of goodwill towards Chennai. I am reminded of the time when Pakistan toured India recently and Inzzy was "hit" by a stone by an Indian spectator/fan. Pakistani fans were up in arms, and rightly so. Do bear in mind that when India had toured Pakistan after a lull in 2003/04 they received great support and so Pakistanis were quite peeved. I remember sitting in some hot discussions with my Pakistanis colleagues but they would all cool down the moment I mentioned Chennai Test. Chennai single handedly generated a lot of goodwill for India.
but not sure if majority of ppl would give any ovation.. may be yes to any other team like Nz or someone.. but i don't think they will applaud pakistan much
Me neither. In fact I am pretty darn sure that if Pakistan defeats India there is a good chance Mohali stadium would be half, or more, empty even before the result is over! :giggle:
rofl now next question a northy can ask u quoting ur post is "are southiez loserz or cowardz??" :hysterical::hysterical: may be rahul_is_god might just ask u that..
Well just like Lurker just blindly stereotyped all southies as "more sane" and "pragmatic" then the stereotype of southies being "lazy" and "nerds" will hold true too; jab khoon hi na ho toh garmi kahan hogi obviously our across the border neighbours love that laid back no action attitude
Nah but they are more pragmatic and sane minded I would say. Though I also hate to pigeonhole people based on region. I am reminded of the Chennai Test where Pakistan beat India by 15 odd runs(the one in which Sachin scored hundred in second innings). At the end of the game the Chennai crowd gave a standing ovation to Pakistan which stumped Wasim Akram completely and till date he mentions that as one of his favorite experience on cricket field. Now would Mohali do that to Pakistan in 90s at the height of Kashmir and Kargil? Fuggedabout it. xxx
That was a Test match of the highest quality. Fast and Furious bowling, great spin bowling, one of the best Indian fightback (inspite of a weak back).. very hight quality Test match... I bet, anywhere in India, if a test match of that quality is played, they would applaud both teams and especially the winning team.
That was a Test match of the highest quality. Fast and Furious bowling' date=' great spin bowling, one of the best Indian fightback (inspite of a weak back).. very hight quality Test match... I bet, [b']anywhere in India, if a test match of that quality is played, they would applaud both teams and especially the winning team.
Errr no. In the very next Test, at Kolkatta Pakistan won by 46 runs in another closely faught game. This was the same game where Srinath took 13 wickets for 150 runs and in the first innings Pakistan were 6/26. And of course which Indian cricket fan can forget Akhtar's best spell where he simply blew away Sachin and Dravid in two successive deliveries. The Eden Gardens crowd went all quiet, and not as you predict applaud Akhtar. Nor did they applaud towards the end. There is no need to get defensive about it. Chennai and Bangalore crowds are amongst the most sporting in the nation, Mohali/Calcutta are not. xxx
Errr no. In the very next Test, at Kolkatta Pakistan won by 46 runs in another closely faught game. This was the same game where Srinath took 13 wickets for 150 runs and in the first innings Pakistan were 6/26. And of course which Indian cricket fan can forget Akhtar's best spell where he simply blew away Sachin and Dravid in two successive deliveries. The Eden Gardens crowd went all quiet, and not as you predict applaud Akhtar. Nor did they applaud towards the end. There is no need to get defensive about it. Chennai and Bangalore crowds are amongst the most sporting in the nation, Mohali/Calcutta are not. xxx
arey lurker bhai, the next game after that chennai test was ThAT DELHI TEST.. THe Jumbo Test.. when he turned it on and took 10 on day 4.. this was a 2 match series.. 1-1 that kolkata test which u talking about was played later that year in asian test championship which had lanka as third test team

"Mate, I think the result would have been left to the match referee and subsequent appeals committee. But i dont get the point in your questioning" From my point of view, I didn't want to see India leave 1. because we miss out on good cricket, 2. CA loses a whole lot of money. The Indian Cricket Board held the game for ransom by threatening to leave so saying it was left to the ICC/match referee/appeals committee is a load of crap, yes India would have been fined a couple of million but that pales into insignificance against the lossess aust cricket would have made not to mention that the ICB is absolutely flush with money after selling its 20/20 comp. If India was placed in a similar position, i.e. looking down the barrel at losing millions of dollars what would they do........there would be no way they would let the aust cricket team leave. I ask the question to see what would be your (India's) reaction to that type of threat, your answers would tell me whether or not posts made on this board are made based on emotion or common sense. BTW, there is nothing hypothetical about car bombs in Pakistan, it is not a perceived risk, it is an actual risk, I personally wouldn't go under these circumstances nor should we expect any else to. I don't know what you guys over there consider normal in terms of adequate security but suicide bombers aren't an everyday normal event over here.

@OP: For the hypothetical situation that you have put forth, I would say that the majority of the fans would have looked at it rationally and the BCCI would have stepped in as well. The counter-measures in Mumbai last year was enough proof that the guests were taken reasonable care of. Besides, the money-hungry BCCI would have gotten everyone from the ICC to the Queen to the Pope involved, to stop the Aussies from flying back home.

That was a Test match of the highest quality. Fast and Furious bowling' date=' great spin bowling, one of the best Indian fightback (inspite of a weak back).. very hight quality Test match... I bet, [b']anywhere in India, if a test match of that quality is played, they would applaud both teams and especially the winning team.
Siddhu, I don't quite agree with that mate. Losing to Pakistan and in such close circumstances (not to forget the high political tensions between the two nations) would have surely seen all hell being let loose by the crowd. Credit to the Chennai crowd for showing such maturity. (BTW, I'm not from Chennai or TN). On the flip side, anyone remember that Ind-SL game last year at Vishakapatnam? Man..I raved all through the game about that fabulous stadium, lush outfield, elimination of the pesky fencing etc. After India cruised home with plenty to spare, shockingly the water bottles started to rain down onto the field. Twats did not know how to celebrate the win I suppose. Wonder how a defeat would have gone down with that lot. :nervous: I got to agree with the earlier posts that such acts (like in Chennai) bring people closer and "Cricket diplomacy" indeed works. It worked in Chennai on that day and similarly the Karachi crowd displayed excellent spirit during the first ODI in the '04 series. Apparently Indian supporters were thrown chocolates their way. Unlike that Rajesh Chauhan 's Karachi game of the 90s, the crowd did not fall silent or head out once Pakistan's defeat was imminent. They kept applauding the teams for a great game of Cricket! Boy, you really gotta love that attitude! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
The Indian Cricket Board held the game for ransom by threatening to leave so saying it was left to the ICC/match referee/appeals committee is a load of crap, yes India would have been fined a couple of million but that pales into insignificance against the lossess aust cricket would have made not to mention that the ICB is absolutely flush with money after selling its 20/20 comp
1. Its BCCI. Not ICB 2. India is only reciprocating what the ECB/ACB have been doing for the better part of the last century- holding the game at ransom and driving it like their personal feifs. To put it simply, the pendulum has swung the other way and it will keep swinging the other way before it finds the balanced 'neutral' spot.
If India was placed in a similar position, i.e. looking down the barrel at losing millions of dollars what would they do........there would be no way they would let the aust cricket team leave.
You are forgetting one critical aspect to all this speculation: over 80% of all money generated in cricket comes directly from India. This is discounting the contribution of the nearly 40 million NRIs( Non-resident Indians) who generate money for cricket by watching it over the internet/satellite. And BCCI controls the rights to Indian cricket. To put it simply, Australia won't DARE withdraw from the tour-or even threaten to withdraw- unless there is some very genuine reasons for it. Its true that a visiting team cutting short a series and pulling out will result in millions of dollars in losses for the BCCI. But the BCCI backlash at that team ( all BCCI has to do is say ' we are suspending all tours to Australia for the next 10 years) will destroy its economy. Or, if you really piss off BCCI, it may decide to withdraw alltogether from the ICC and form a seperate league- the financial monopoly it has over Indian cricket gives it the clout to do so and pull it off. So in short, all these scenarios are purely academic, because no team is going to threaten to withdraw from a tour of India barring a genuine threat against the visiting team's life. To do so would be to nuke your own cricketing infrastructure, for BCCI is not going to take that lying down.

Don't get me started on stable economys, let me know how India compares to Australia in terms of GDP per capita, it's a shame that you think that cricket is so important when you have bigger issues such as obvious disparity of wealth

Hey, I'm not the one who started talking about destroying economys Check my other posts on other topics, I have total admiration for Indian cricket teams, if Australia gets rolled by a better team so be it. If you can't accept objectve opinion then you are dillusional and unreasonable, what's the point of having a forum at all if it is a one sided discussion all the time

I wasn't aware that Australia's economy is driven by cricket tours' date=' BTW thanks for making my point that the BCCI is holding world cricket for ransom.[/quote'] Hmmm...I thought you were looking for genuine views from fans about your hypothetical situation rather than...well... flogger350x450.jpg Please search the forum to entertain yourself on that topic...
If Australia was playing in India and something happened which led to Ponting to say, do something about it or we are abandoning the series and going home.......what would be India's reaction? Would Indian cricket fans care? There were mixed vibes when India threatened to do this over here, just curious to see if the tables were turned
Depends. 1. Did the match referee act like an obnoxious SOB and refuse to hear both sides of the story? 2. Were all the evidences hear-say as in yes, he did tell that it happened as opposed to yes I did hear/see it happen? 3. Was the charged player provoked in any way or form? 4. Did the accuser breach a prior agreement not to fack with each other?