What happened in our lower middle order?

We were 2/144 at 30 overs ... they say with wickets in hand, you double your score at 30 overs. We should have made minimum 288, possibly even 300. Instead we finished 9/258. 114 in the last 120 balls, thats ridiculous Yuvraj played a shot very similar to the one he got out in Adelaide, which annoyed me. He needs to take more responsibility in his batting and bat for at least 15-20 overs each game, especially since Uthappa is opening now. Sharma and Sachin threw their wickets away with half shots. However, I can guarantee you that Sachin will never ever get out that way again ... still dissapointing though. I think this is something we really need to work on. Last 10 overs do not require all out slogging, but rather , just woprking the ball around for 1s and 2s, with the occassional boundary. Doing that, you can add 70 or 80 runs in the last 10, instead of 5/52 in the last 10. Guys like Praveen Kumar, Irfan Pathan, and Piyush Chawla are all all-rounders, but they need to focus on being able to score even when boundaries are difficult. This is where a Mohammad Kaif, was very underrated.

I wouldnt blame Yuvraj. It was a poor shot, but we could have still put up a very good score considering, we were 207/4 after 40. What followed next was an absolute nightmare. A run a ball from there would have gotten us 270. Reminds me of the first ODI vs Pak back in 2005, when we hobbled to 250+ after being all set for 300. Fortunately in that instance Tendu bailed us out with a 5-fer i think

I dont know why Uthappa is opening ? The move completely baffles me. He did the job alright, but thats hardly the right use of Uthappa. We might as well pick Jaffer if steady start is all we need from the opener. Gambhir must open at Adelaide.

I dont know why Uthappa is opening ? The move completely baffles me. He did the job alright' date=' but thats hardly the right use of Uthappa. We might as well pick Jaffer if steady start is all we need from the opener. Gambhir must open at Adelaide.[/quote'] no game @ adelaide

Im not blaming Yuvraj alone. It was practically everyones fault from 4-9. One thing India need to change is this mentality that slogging means hitting everything for 6. Thats ok against some teams, but Australia will cut you up if you try to hit everything for 6. You need to try to score something off every ball, and put the odd one away here and there. That will get you to 70 or 80 in the last 10 pretty easily, that would have given us about 280 - 290 to defend. I was annoyed with Yuvraj because, he got out that way in Adelaide, and everyone criticised the shot, and then he comes out and plays the same shot, and once again loses his wicket that way. Its frustration moreso than blame. Yuvraj needs to know that he is not just out there to keep up his reputation as a hitter, but that he needs to bat 15-20 overs each match if India are to post a large total.

The pitch isn't as easy as many of you think. Tendulkar just made it look a lot easier when the pace was taken off the ball. Australia will struggle unless there's dew to help them out a bit...
No dew until mid night. Aussie innings begins at 6:30 EST. Unless we have a terrible over rate, i dont see us succumbing to the dew. D/L might be a factor, i heard there was rain in the predictions. Early wickets are very important