What about Dravid's/Ganguly's/Sehwag's ODI career now?

I dont understand this, does Ganguly really not understand the reason why he was dropped ? Hasnt he played enough cricket, or for that matter, have enough brains to know that the shorter form of the game is one of youngsters who can field brilliantly and throw themselves around ? Isnt he ignorant of the fact that, with the seniors in the side, the Indian team, in the year 2007, was eliminated in the first round of the world cup and lost bilateral series to England and Australia. Has he forgotten that the new look young team, has so far, won the 20/20 world cup and even better, won the CB series, something that no other Indian team has EVER before ? The worst part is, we all now know that the youth-only policy was blatantly Dhoni's brain-child, especially with the way he openly declared that it was " My team" in the post match celebrations. With Ganguly repeatedly campaigning for his inclusion into the ODI side, its almost like an open challenge he is throwing against Dhoni's policy and vision. And worse, he has literally notified Vengsarkar to take note of his proclamations, like as though selection is done through the media. Shut the fck up Ganguly and just get on with it. We value and respect your contribution to the test side and we would all be up in arms if you left out of the test eleven, but we understand why you were dropped from the ODI team. Its about time you understood that yourself.

As said in the article, ganguly said the above words at the function of IPL knight riders in Mumbai which i m sure would hve been covered by national media since SRK was also present. Had gaguly used the above words, it would have been all over the news channels and in all news websites. None of the news channels reported such matter which brings us to the question of the credibility of news. If other channels like HT,CNN IBN,TOI reports such we could trust the news, which wasnt done. Ganguly is a mature enough person to know that a statement aganist chairman of selectors would cause trouble. I hope and believe that ganguly didnt use such words, and this news is pure BS
The same words attributed to Ganguly have appeared on espnstar.com which is a reliable source. So there is no reason to question the authenticity of the interview. Here is the link: http://espnstar.com/cricket/newsdetails.cmd?id=7032798

Ganguly Out To Emulate Tendulkar Former India captain Sourav Ganguly wants to emulate the recent one-day success of team-mate Sachin Tendulkar and prove his credentials in the shorter form of the game. Tendulkar was in brilliant form in the recent Commonwealth Bank Series in Australia, scripting India's victory with knocks of 117 and 91 in the opening two clashes of the best-of-three final against the hosts.

Sachin_Tendulkar_2nd_CB_final_2008_695295.jpg

He finished as the second highest run-getter in the series behind team-mate Gautam Gambhir. Tendulkar was the only senior batsman to kept in the squad on the conclusion of the preceding Test series against the Australians, with the likes of Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman returning home prior to the CB Series. But Ganguly has taken inspiration from Tendulkar's achievements in the shorter form of the game and hopes to force himself back into the one-day reckoning. He told the Times of India: "Looking at Sachin, there is room for performance. He has shown he has what it takes to win a series overseas. "With lots of cricket coming up, the best way for me would be to take it series by series. The advent of IPL makes the cricket schedule a bit heavier." Ganguly, who averages 41 in one-day internationals, added that he "has never thought of quitting limited-overs to concentrate on Tests". http://www.cricket365.com/story/0,,6575_3315955,00.html

Guest HariSampath

I repeat...Ganguly and Dravid are OVER as ODI players and its not even worth a page in a thread. Its just tests for them now, and if they dont perform big, plenty of youngsters pushing for places and public pressure will get immense.

Guest HariSampath
I guess these T20 leagues should keep older players busy and happy. They will make loads of money and their desire to play for country will die down giving younger players a chance.
True, and most importantly for them, they will remain on TV and be seen by everyone to be playing cricket. This is one of their biggest motivations and also assauges their egos that they are still wanted somewhere as cricketers for a few more years till they come back to the commentary box. IPL is really promoting young talent by offering an exit route for ageing cricketers , with dignity too.

Dada expects a recall? http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Ganguly_looking_forward_to_play_in_ODIs/articleshow/2885771.cms Why in the world is he putting pressure on himself? Going by Indian selectors logic, he'll get a berth in ODI team if he performs well in test! (befuddling, but that's how BCCI selectors operate!) In case he cant deliver in tests, he'll lose his test spot and ODI recall will always be a sweet dream. Why get into the "foot in the mouth" situation?!? Disclaimer: This is a link from TOI and its reliability is highly suspect

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Thursday said he was looking forward to play One-Day Internationals (ODIs) if he is given a chance by the selectors. "I am looking forward to play in the ODIs again, but it is upon the selectors to choose," Ganguly said at a function here to confer upon him the young achiever's award by a chamber of commerce. Asked if he was laying extra stress on his fitness, Ganguly said: "I have always tried to stay fit and the regime helps me to stay away from injuries." Ganguly was conferred the YLF (Young Leaders' Forum) Outstanding Young Achievers' Award by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in recognition of his contribution as a young achiever who made a difference to people's lives. The award ceremony became a platform for Ganguly to take a dig at his detractors as he felt the nomenclature of the honour recognises him as a 'young' person at a time when the youth versus experience debate rages on in the Indian cricket squad. "The word 'young' before the award is very special. I will surely get up tomorrow feeling better," he said. "In a country where there is such a huge debate on young (read youth) and experience it feels great to get an award with the word 'young' before it," he said. In recent times Ganguly has often faced the axe from the Indian team selectors due to their emphasis on newcomers. In the last series against Australia, Sourav Ganguly was dropped from the ODI side even after a phenomenal comeback in both forms of cricket. Ganguly said he was looking forward to playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL) as the captain of the Kolkata Knight Riders. However, he was not all focused on IPL right now and said: "Let the IPL begin first. I am sure I will enjoy my captaincy." Speaking about the forthcoming home series against South Africa, Ganguly sounded confident. He said it would be a good competitive series. "The fact that South Africans are playing at home could weigh upon the performance," he said. Asked to pick the better South African bowlers, he said: "All the bowlers in their side are good. But we have played them before and it should not be difficult."
Ganguly: Shut up about ODIs now, will ya? Each and every function or public event you attend, you have to blurt out some cr.p

Sigh................ Consider this for a clash of priorities, Captain of the Indian ODI cricket team : This is my team, I want young players and its important to send a message across. 35 year old batsman, just dropped from the team : My ODI career isnt over yet, I am hoping to make a comeback.

I have utmost respect for Sourav Ganguly for his mental strength that he's shown to come back into the team and perform so well as he has done. But he has to go into introspection and realize that he's only an average fielder, and though his batting remains solid, it isn't as quick nor is it in the manner that the modern ODI game requires. His strike remains in the 70s and that is not enough when we are chasing long totals (which we often do these days). I hope that he can contribute much more to the test team and help us become one of the best (in terms of the points behind Australia,etc.) rather than keep trying to get into the ODI team despite pretty clear signs that he might not be able to.