Moving on-South Africa test series squad

Feed

Kumble, Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman declared fit for SA series Skipper Anil Kumble and veteran teammates Rahul Dravid, V V S Laxman and Sourav Ganguly were declared fit for the upcoming Test series against South Africa starting on March 26 in Chennai. More... Kumble, Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman declared fit for SA series Agencies Posted online: Saturday , March 08, 2008 at 1505 hrs IST Bangalore, March 8:: Skipper Anil Kumble and veteran teammates Rahul Dravid, V V S Laxman and Sourav Ganguly were declared fit for the upcoming Test series against South Africa starting on March 26 in Chennai. Pacemen Rudra Pratap Singh and V R V Singh also passed the fitness test at the National Cricket Academy but Rajasthan bowler Pankaj Singh was advised rest for three weeks. Pankaj, who suffered a back strain in Australia, has now developed a hip strain. He was put through the three hour-long fitness assessment by trainer Paul Chapman and physio Paul Close, under the watchful eye of NCA Director of coaching Dav Whatmore. Each of the six players, who were later declared fit, underwent a medical examination, beep test, body strengthening and fielding practice. Ganguly, who was in good batting form in Australia, took the test on Saturday morning after arriving on Friday night. Media men and sports lovers were waiting for three hours to get a glimpse of the former captain. The findings of the tests were sent by the NCA to the BCCI on Saturday. The BCCI had instructed all players who featured in the Test series in Australia but not in the tri-series that followed to undergo the fitness tests. Hitherto, injured players were tested by Dr Anant Joshi and after they are given specific advice for recovery, the players used to collect a certificate of fitness from their personal physician and forwarded the same to the BCCI.

This has happened in other places as well. People are creatures of habit, and eyes tend to 'glaze' over "sticky" threadz sometimes. I have seen that non-sticky can get as much attention as sticky. Anyway, if a few more get to read the OP article becos of this thread, then good. If not, I guess I am the only one who missed the sticky!

Zaheer back in India ‘I’ll be back only when fully fit’ G.S. Vivek Posted online: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 0018 hrs With India facing no dearth of fast bowling options, Zaheer says he won’t risk rushing back into action New Delhi, March 10: A running theme through all of India’s recent success stories was a young pace attack’s ability to overcome the massive hole his absence left in the tour Down Under. Zaheer Khan had to leave the series midway, troubled by the left heel, and made way for Ishant Sharma. The left-arm seamer is back from Johannesburg after intense rehabilitation at the Centre of Sports Medicine, and in an exclusive interview to The Indian Express, speaks about the frustration of sitting out with injury, the delight of seeing the younger crop taking centre-stage and the impending competition for the fast bowling slots. Excerpts: What is the status of your heel injury? Will you be available for the upcoming South Africa series? •I will be going to Bangalore the day after to meet the physio and will allow him to take a decision on that front. From my side, I have started running and slowly started to bowl at the nets, though not at full pace. The doctors whom I consulted abroad have advised me to build up slowly. Having fought with injuries, you made a fantastic comeback last season; so how frustrating was it to break down again in middle of such an important series? • Any injury at any time is very frustrating. But when you are doing well, you wouldn’t want to sit out at any cost. For a player, it’s always frustrating to sit out either because of performance or injury but one has to take it in his stride. But having gone through it earlier, I have learnt to be patient. How have you planned your comeback? • The important thing is to take your time to recover and not rush back. You have to be not just 100 per cent, but 120 or even 200 per cent fit when you return to action. I don’t want to have any doubts running in my mind when I am playing an international game because it’s a pressure game and you cannot let your team down. Personally, I would like to play some domestic games or even club games to be sure about myself. That’s what the doctors also said, you need to build it up, because you lose a lot of strength in the area of injury and one has to get it back slowly and not injure other muscles. The entire country has been raving about this new lot of fast bowlers who have done well in your absence. What do you see your role as once you come back? • I have always said that performance is the key to selection. That’s what is in your control and one should not be thinking of anything beyond that. You can only focus on things you can control. There’s no such thing as ‘a player’ in the team, it’s always about the whole team. Through the whole Australia series, there were doubts about certain fast bowlers and their capabilities. And see how well they have done and proved themselves. We now have a great fast bowling back-up and all this is good for Indian cricket. We have been developing fast bowlers for the last five years and all this competition will only raise the level of performance of all bowlers. As for what’s in store immediately, I am just looking at playing at some club games to be sure of myself first. Finally, as a senior in the side, how do you look at the performance of young fast bowlers? •I am proud of what they have achieved. Look at Sreesanth, he has been doing consistently well for the last one year. If you remember last year in Bangladesh, I was asked about Ishant and I said he’s got a great future. Look at how he’s shaped right through this Australia series. I am very happy with the way Irfan has come back as well. He’s been bowling well and has been among wickets too. Overall, it’s great for Indian cricket as we now have a lot of good players waiting for their chance. --------------------------------------- This means that Zaheer won't be available for the SA series. Well, he shouldn't rush in any case. It is better if makes himself available after recovering completely and proving his fitness in domestic matches too.