Moving on-South Africa test series squad

Feed

Smith not best leader - Jennings Outspoken former South Africa coach Ray Jennings believes there are better candidates to captain the national side than Graeme Smith. More... Former coach hits out There are better captains than Smith - Jennings Cricinfo staff March 14, 2008 159854.jpgRay Jennings: 'I believe there are one or two other guys who are able to lead the team better than he [smith] does' © Getty Images Outspoken former South Africa coach Ray Jennings believes there are better candidates to captain the national side than Graeme Smith. Jennings has no issue with Smith the batsman, who recently posted a new world Test opening partnership with Neil McKenzie, but does have reservations when it comes to him leading the side. "Graeme Smith is a superb cricketer. He has presence and mental toughness," he told The Wisden Cricketer. "From a captaincy point of view I believe there are one or two other guys who are able to lead the team better than he does." When pressed to name his preferred candidates, Jennings replied: "Names aren't really important to me. I believe there are better guys to do the job but that's my opinion. As a batsman there's no doubt I'll have Graeme in my side. He's a solid cricketer and a fighter." When asked to comment on the recent high profile fall out between senior administrators about racial quotas, Jennings said: "South African cricket has to understand that they don't need to put issues like this in the media. They could have had the fight behind closed doors and iron it out there. It has put me and a lot of cricketers in an awkward position. "I'm sad that coloured players in the team could have a stigma attached, where they feel they are underprivileged when that's not the case. It's not about having a 50-50 or 60-40 split between white and coloured players. In our country the sides are picked on their cricketing ability because the players of colour are good enough to play." Jennings, who served a six-month stint as national coach, also said he would take up the post if it came around again, but only under his own terms. "I would definitely take it up again but there would be a few conditions. I would look at the combination of the side: how it gets picked. I would also look at my management staff and how I put that together." In a terse media release, Cricket South Africa said Jennings claimed to have been "misquoted" in the article.

'Beating India one of our main goals' - Arthur Mickey Arthur, the South Africa coach, has said that it is important to be No. 1 in the one-day rankings after blanking Bangladesh but added that what his team really wants is to beat India in the three-Test series. More... South Africa in Bangladesh 2007-08 'Beating India one of our main goals' - Arthur Ajay S Shankar March 14, 2008 256717.jpgMickey Arthur is targeting the top spot next year as well © AFP Mickey Arthur, the South Africa coach, has said that it is important to be No. 1 in the one-day rankings after blanking Bangladesh but added that what his team really wants is to beat India in the three-Test series starting in Chennai on March 26. "We have achieved one of the goals we had set out for the team. And being No. 1 is absolutely great. But it will be better still if we are No. 1 next year too because that would mean we would have beaten Australia in two series," Arthur told Cricinfo. "We will go all out to win the series in India," Arthur said. "The Bangladesh win has set us up nicely for the India series. Frankly, we always saw this (Bangladesh) tour as pre-India tour preparation where we got our game and gameplans right for the big one. It's going to be a fantastic Test series simply because India is a huge team to beat in their own country, and we are not prepared to be just another ordinary rival." Arthur also spoke of setting high standards for the team, which he admitted will be tested in India. "Not many teams go to India and win, so that's one of our main goals for the year." Arthur also said that he has appealed to fast bowler Andre Nel, who was replaced for the India tour by Charl Langeveldt under Cricket South Africa's transformation policy, to play on for the country. "We have spent a lot of time with him because we believe strongly that he is a vital cog as we go forward, especially against England and Australia who are on our calendar this year. So I hope he decides to stay on with South Africa. But ultimately, it's his decision because only he knows what's best for himself." Nel is believed to be in talks with the unofficial Indian Cricket League (ICL) after being dropped in tune with a CSA selection policy that mandates at least six players of colour in a 14-man squad. South Africa swept the two-Test series against Bangladesh and wrapped up the one-day series 3-0 with a seven-wicket win in Mirpur on Friday. The team will leave Bangladesh on Saturday and is scheduled to fly out from Johannesburg for Chennai on March 21.

Laxman picks up minor finger injury VVS Laxman injured his finger while taking Manoj Tiwary's catch during South Zone's Deodhar Trophy encounter against East Zone. More... East Zone v South Zone, Deodhar Trophy, Hyderabad Laxman picks up minor finger injury Cricinfo staff March 14, 2008 With the first Test against South Africa less than two weeks away, VVS Laxman injured his finger while taking Manoj Tiwary's catch during South Zone's Deodhar Trophy encounter against East Zone. Though the injury prevented him from batting during South's unsuccessful chase of 275 at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad, Laxman was confident he would recover in time for the next game. "The injury occurred while I took the catch to dismiss Tiwary. There was a cut in the webbing region. So I didn't want to take a risk while batting," he told Cricinfo. "I should be okay in a couple of days. The next match is anyway on the 20th [when South take on Central Zone], so I should be fine by then." Rahul Dravid made a valiant century for South but, with little support coming from his team-mates, they finished 23 runs short.

India shouldn't lose momentum New Delhi: Celebrated cricket writer Peter Roebuck today said the rise of limited overs captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his side marked the latest phase of India’s elevation in world cricket. Roebuck said Dhoni and his young team-mates heralded a new era for Indian cricket, which has emerged as a force which wanted to prove its worth.

ms-dhoni_313_feb-01-2008.jpg

“The first major stage was Sunil Gavaskar. He was seen as the voice of protest, ‘we will do it the Indian way.’ The next stage was Sachin Tendulkar, ‘I am comfortable with what I am.’ He is a great player who is graceful as well. “The third phase was in Sydney (Test) with Dhoni, (Irfan) Pathan, Ishant (Sharma) and such people, who came from villages, backyards and outstations. It was an expression of democratic, passionate, committed and self-dependent India. It was a sense of true independence, not any protest against anybody,” Roebuck said at the India Today Conclave here. The Australia-based Englishman said the Aussies and the Indians have a lot of things in common. “They are rivals but also partners. They speak the same language.” Roebuck, however, cautioned India against getting overboard in their celebrations and thereby losing the momentum for the future. “The challenge before India is to sustain their success and maintain their long cricketing culture. There should not be any delirium and going overboard in success. No confident nation does that. Dhoni did not get carried away in Brisbane (in tri-series final) as he knew it was a matter of three balls.” Making a passing remark on the Indian hockey team’s debacle in the Olympic qualifiers in Chile, Roebuck said Indian cricketers were looking forward to prove their worth in Australia. “They thought ‘we expected the success, it was not a surprise.’ But the hockey team is not saying that yet.” Roebuck said the media which went overboard about the Sydney controversy should show some restraint in handling contentious issues. “Sydney got a little bit carried away. The media, including me, should have shown some control. We pick up stories and the 24 hour TV channels also have not helped. We should be careful in handling contentious and aggravated issues,” he added. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/india-shouldnt-lose-momentum-roebuck/30317-13.html

Langeveldt pulls out of India tour South Africa in India 2007-08 Langeveldt pulls out of India tour Cricinfo staff March 18, 2008 Charl Langeveldt won't be on the three-Test tour of India © Getty Images Charl Langeveldt, the South Africa fast bowler, has opted out of the Test series in India beginning next week, saying the controversy over the selection of the squad so upset him he feels he won't be in the right frame of mind for the matches. Langeveldt was picked ahead of Andre Nel in the 14-man squad for the three-Test series, a move seen by many as pandering to Cricket South Africa's transformation policy. Nel was reportedly disappointed after his exclusion, and there was speculation over his future with South Africa. Gerald Majola, the CSA chief executive, said Joubert Strydom, the convenor of selectors, had accepted Langeveldt's request to withdraw from the touring party, and that the selectors were considering a replacement. "Charl Langeveldt called me today in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour of India so that he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind," Majola said. "He said that the public controversy over the selection of the Proteas team to tour India had upset him to the extent that he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best." 300099.jpg?alt=3 "Charl said he wanted to use this time instead to consider his future in international cricket in a cool and calm manner. "I have assured Charl that he is very much in the plans, and is regarded as one of our best fast bowlers in both ODI and Test cricket. "We will have in-depth discussions with him, and hopefully he will continue to be available for international selection." No replacement has been named as yet for Langeveldt in the squad, which arrives in India later this week. © Cricinfo http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvrsa/content/current/story/343060.html

Langeveldt pulls out of India tour South Africa in India 2007-08 Langeveldt pulls out of India tour Cricinfo staff March 18, 2008 Charl Langeveldt won't be on the three-Test tour of India © Getty Images Charl Langeveldt, the South Africa fast bowler, has opted out of the Test series in India beginning next week, saying the controversy over the selection of the squad so upset him he feels he won't be in the right frame of mind for the matches. Langeveldt was picked ahead of Andre Nel in the 14-man squad for the three-Test series, a move seen by many as pandering to Cricket South Africa's transformation policy. Nel was reportedly disappointed after his exclusion, and there was speculation over his future with South Africa. Gerald Majola, the CSA chief executive, said Joubert Strydom, the convenor of selectors, had accepted Langeveldt's request to withdraw from the touring party, and that the selectors were considering a replacement. "Charl Langeveldt called me today in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour of India so that he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind," Majola said. "He said that the public controversy over the selection of the Proteas team to tour India had upset him to the extent that he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best." 300099.jpg?alt=3 "Charl said he wanted to use this time instead to consider his future in international cricket in a cool and calm manner. "I have assured Charl that he is very much in the plans, and is regarded as one of our best fast bowlers in both ODI and Test cricket. "We will have in-depth discussions with him, and hopefully he will continue to be available for international selection." No replacement has been named as yet for Langeveldt in the squad, which arrives in India later this week. © Cricinfo http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvrsa/content/current/story/343060.html
so is Nel coming back now yeh mental state kuch zyada hi ho raha hai aajkal cricket mein

SA Cricket Langeveldt pulls out of India tour Charl Langeveldt, the South Africa fast bowler, has opted out of the Test series in India beginning next week, saying the controversy over the selection of the squad so upset him he feels he won't be in the right frame of mind for the matches. Langeveldt was picked ahead of Andre Nel in the 14-man squad for the three-Test series, a move seen by many as pandering to Cricket South Africa's transformation policy. Nel was reportedly disappointed after his exclusion, and there was speculation over his future with South Africa. SACA fears South Africa may lose Nel and Langeveldt South Africa Cricket Association (SACA) chief executive Tony Irish said South Africa could lose two of its premier fast bowlers, Charl Langeveldt and Andre Nel, because of political interference in selection. "Charl Langeveldt's request to be removed from the squad to tour India is the desperate unhappiness of a player who knows that he has been selected for this tour for quota reasons," he said. Langeveldt, absent from the Test side since early 2006, replaced Nel, who took 13 wickets at 26.23 in the three Tests against West Indies earlier this year, under Cricket South Africa's transformation policy, which mandates at least six players of colour in a 14-man squad. "As players we all have a good idea of when we are clearly in the running for selection and when we aren't," Langeveldt said. "You just have to look at Andre's Test record compared to mine and the fact that he has been part of all the Test match plans while I haven't played a Test match for two years. this sucks, they need to sort things out quick

The Ideal 11 For India has to be Virender Sehwag (Averages Better in Tests Than ODI's) Wasim Jaffer(deserves One last Chance) VVS Laxman(very very Special) Rahul Dravid(Hope the wall does not fall) Sourav Ganguly(Recently has been playing ODI's Like Tests) Sachin Tendulkar(No Team Is Complete Without Him) M.S.Dhoni(Wicket keeping Dasher) Anil Kumble(Captain Courageous) Harbhajan Singh(Great on turning wickets) R.P.Singh(Comeback Man) Sreesanth(would Prefer Him For Pathan) With Such a strong batting line up I dont think we will need Pathan's Batting Crdentials Sreesanth adds a couple of yards of pace and swings it where as pathan nowadays has lost swing and is more of variations rather than swing....Ganguly,sehwag and sachin are more than useful bowlers too...