India represent the future, Aus the past: experts

Feed

Leading commentators feel Australia's cricket glory days are over and the team must face up to a tougher future. Sachin for youth and age More... Australia glory days over, say pundits 0207517e-41c4-4f8c-9351-5bb371e0045fAutoThumbStory.JPGHistoric win: Indian players hold the trophy as they celebrate their victory after defeating Australia. Sydney, March 08, 2008 First Published: 11:34 IST(8/3/2008) Last Updated: 17:16 IST(8/3/2008) Australia's cricket glory days are over and the team must face up to a tougher future, leading commentators said on Saturday after India's euphoric one-day series win over the world champions. India's 2-0 tri-series finals win over Ricky Ponting's aging team has triggered an inquest into Australia's performance and fears the axis of global cricket supremacy had finally shifted. Australia are now only fractionally in front of South Africa on the International Cricket Council rankings as the world's leading one-day nation after losing the best-of-three finals. And with the retirement of wicketkeeper-batsman Adam Gilchrist, after last year's departure of bowling greats Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath, there is a sense the era of Australian domination is over. One commentator noted that Australia, with an average age of 33, were confronted and affronted by a younger version of themselves in Mahendra Singh Dhoni's confident Indian team. "If Ricky Ponting had ever wondered what tomorrow would look like, now he knows. It is staring Australian cricket, and its leader, in the face. The era of domination that it seemed might never end is over. The future has arrived," The Age's Tim Lane said. "Australia will continue to have the measure of most. The days are gone, though, of endless, predictable crushings of mismatched opponents," he added. The Sydney Morning Herald's Peter Roebuck said India's economic boom has released a new sort of cricketer -- tough, independent, materialistic and confident. "Suddenly, India seemed to represent the future, Australia the past. Australia were confronted and affronted by a younger version of themselves. "Australia have always had a strong and democratic cricketing culture. India used to depend on players steeped in the ethics and traditions of the game. Not any more." Much has been made in the local media about the fall-out from the Australian team's racism charge against controversial Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh for abusing Andrew Symonds during the second Sydney Test in January.

I'd like all of you to give your objective views here. Isn't this too much of a brou ha ha over just a one day series win? Are these so called experts implying that Australia's glory days are over in tests too? If so, then they can't be analying things objectively. I agree that Australia might not have days when it'll win 15-16 tests on trot. But it'll still be better than the rest. Its attack is still one of the best (which is a shame) and its batsmen are still one of the best--even after the greats like Waugh, Langer, Martyn and Gilly have retired. Tell me which country has a batting line-up better than Hayden Jaques Ponting Clarke Hussey Symonds Haddin You might say India's. But don't we have these glorious batsmen in the twilight of their career? Won't they be retiring within next two years? Then? I don't think four of Australia's above batting line up be retiring in next two years. Hence this call that Australia's glory days are over are wide off the mark! It is true that Australia's attack looks a bit vulnerable right now especially without any spinner in their ranks. But is England's attack better? Is SA's attack better? And what about India? Our fitness is not top notch and our pacers keep on getting injured. That doesn't let our attack have a settled look. And what will happen after Kumble? So I just don't believe that Australia is past and India is future. Your view?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/packed-with-battlers-india-is-the-new-australia/2008/03/07/1204780070681.html
Packed with battlers, India is the new Australia Peter Roebuck March 8, 2008 Page 1 of 2 | Single page AUSTRALIA was swept aside by an ambitious, fit, young, fresh and superbly led Indian side. Bound together by a sense of injustice, enraged by the coverage in local papers and egged on by their own strident media, the Indians became formidable. India's economic boom has released a new sort of cricketer — tough, independent, materialistic and comfortable in his own skin. Suddenly, India seemed to represent the future, Australia the past. Australia was confronted and affronted by a younger version of itself. Australia always has had a strong and democratic cricketing culture. The captain is a tough nut from Mowbray and his predecessor grimaced more than he grinned. India used to depend upon players steeped in the ethics and traditions of the game. ...
http://www.theage.com.au/news/cricket/future-now-for-australia/2008/03/07/1204780070690.html
Future now for Australia Tim Lane March 8, 2008 Page 1 of 2 | Single page IF RICKY Ponting had ever wondered what tomorrow would look like, now he knows. It is staring Australian cricket, and its leader, in the face. The era of domination that it seemed might never end is over. The future has arrived. Of course, there still will be many Australian victories, for one of the afflictions of international cricket is its paucity of genuinely competitive nations. Australia will continue to have the measure of most. The days are gone, though, of endless, predictable crushings of mismatched opponents. ...
I'd like all of you to give your objective views here. Isn't this too much of a brou ha ha over just a one day series win? Are these so called experts implying that Australia's glory days are over in tests too? If so' date=' then they can't be analying things objectively.?[/quote'] YES ! We've seen all this before. Gavaskar's comments after the '04 tour of AUS being the perfect example. He talked about how he was seeing "cracks developing" in the Australian side and once the test series was over, he claimed that India had finally dethroned the Aussies to become the #1 team in the world. If you don't believe me, check out the quotes section in the Sportstar magazines which were published at the time. Turns out that the only crack developing was the one in Gavaskar's posterior. In Indian cricket, everything can fall apart in a matter of months. Let's see the team win regularly (both home and away), over an entire season or longer. Then we'll know that they are a good side capable of being the best in the world.

My view is that the domination of Australia is coming to an end. That does not mean they will not win...they will just not sweep all before them as they used to. And gradually, they will be in a bracket of competitive teams of equal calibre. All good news for cricket, as games will be keenly contested. India have a lot of work ahead of them to pip Oz at the top, but they have the talent and the will to do it. Whether they do or not, remains to be seen. But things are in place...what is required is good management of the team(s) from hereon in. With IPL/ICL shenanigans and all the media attention and money players get, particularly the new ones, this may turn out to be a problem. Some may struggle with the change in their lives due to fame and fortune and not play the same way again and have to go the comeback route like Pathan. But the plus point is that the bench strength at the moment is the strongest I have seen it. With lots of players to choose from, those in the team will have be kept on their toes. And if they aren't, then someone else more deserving comes in. What we may not see again, are towering colossi like Tendulkar, Laxman etc as the structure will be different, with a flatter hierarchy and more teamwise performances than individual performances.

I'd like all of you to give your objective views here. Isn't this too much of a brou ha ha over just a one day series win? Are these so called experts implying that Australia's glory days are over in tests too? If so, then they can't be analying things objectively.?
I think the significance is not because of the ODI series...that was just the cap. It is particularly because Oz was really pushed hard in the tests by India, at home, that people are thinking along these lines.

I think the reason people are getting excited is because we have a young side now and Aus have a fairly old side ... however, as Predator_05 said , with India we have seen it all fall apart in a matter of months. Lets hope it doesnt happen this time. Lets concentrate on beating SAF first.

I have been following India for a long time...so I know where you guys are coming from. However, I am optimistic. There is a definite air of change about the side and they way they approach the game. This series against SA is going to be fascinating, from many aspects including selection. Here it is...I am backing India for a 2-0 series win. You can bump this thread and make me eat humble pie if I am wrong.

I think the significance is not because of the ODI series...that was just the cap. It is particularly because Oz was really pushed hard in the tests by India' date=' at home, that people are thinking along these lines.[/quote'] That is what I'm also saying. Does India reflect the future in tests too? Five of its main players will be gone within next two years. And we don't know about their replacements and their performance. 4 new middle order players and a new spinner--certainly India's own test performance will fall. Isn't it?

Not necessarily...the new players are now being inducted, albeit through one day cricket. Before this, the young talent had no place to showcase their ability, because they were practically locked out of test and odi squads for lack of places. I think from what we have seen, there are already a few players amongst the youngsters in the odi squad that are test material...Rohit Sharma for instance. They are probably more in the wings that have not yet been given an opportunity. The depth of talent is palpable. The U-19 squad is evidence of this...there may be a few there too, if honed correctly, are test material as well. So things, by my reckoning, are looking good. But it needs to be managed well by the sporting authorities. In the long term, that will make the difference.

last time around when the aussies had their back to the wall, they were able to rely on Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist, Langer to complement Ponting and Hayden. This time they do not have that comfort. I think South Africa is a real threat with their bowling. they may compete equally with the aussies and i would not be suprised at all if they can bat Aussies in the next series between the 2 teams. India is doing fine with their established middle order but have to sort out the opening spot- Jaffer has to give way to Gambhir and Yuvraj should perform in the next away series if he harbours any hope of becoming a permanent test player.I am confident that India will beat Aussies and regain the Gavaskar-Border trophy this tear in october-Nov. Pakistan is a mercurial team. a fully fit Shoaib Akthar, Gul ,Asif,( ok that could be an oxy moron) attack will trouble any batting line up, with danish kaneria and afridi for support in bowling.But their batting needs to fire for any realistic fight against Australia. Younis, Mo Yo, Misbah are as good as any middle order bats in any team but the openers let them down big time. If Akmal regains his touch behind the stumps and complements the bowling, then they too can trouble Aussies in subcontinent. England is getting in to the groove- cook & Vaughaun are reliable. Bell, KP, Colly,a resurrected Strauss,a batsman WK would be a good batting line up. Bowling starts to look good with Sidebottom,Anderson, young Broad,Panesar.... they also have the potential to trouble ny opposition. Windies have found what they were lacking- an inspirational captain who can lift the team and make them play as a team. Chris Gayle fits the bill. Darren Ganga,Sarwan, Chanderpaul,Ramdin,edwards,Jerome taylor,Darren powell, are very good players and can form the core of the team.they have a problem in getting the other spots filled up with consistent players who can push the established ones for place. Dwayne smith, Devon smith,Runako morton, tino best,Omari Banks and a few other players have to be motivated to bring up Windies team again to challenge the best. Sri Lanka looks the only team which is on the decline. Vaas is not the same bowler he was. may not be around for long. Their opers will be exposing Sanga and Jaywardena early. except Murali and Malinga the bowling looks innocuous.they have a talenr crucnh. they would depend on Fernando, Sanga, Jayawardena, Chamara silva for any wins against the big 4. so, Aussies do not have the same opportunity to go on another 16 straight wins at all. No way. Hayden may not be playing cricket for more than 2 years. I think CA will tap him on the shoulder before they identify squad for next world cup . Stuart Clark is not McGrath. Johnson is no Gillespie. Mcgill may replace hogg but he is way too inconsistent. he is not getting any younger. Aussies may continue to win a series against west indies, NZ,SL,England but the whitewash may not happen as frequently as they had done earlier. against India, SA, Pak, they have to be ready for bitter dog fights. no more walk overs. INHO,the throne is up for the grabs.India is as strong a contender as SA and Aussies.

the days of aussie dominance r over & the days of indian dominance have just started. we have a young team which is already playing well & will only improve with time. in the cb series squad, only 2 members of the team were over 27 years. this just goes to show what a huge bright future india has. on the other hand, aus had only 2 players below the age of 30 in their squad and clearly they r a bunch of old people now. also, some of their cricketers have already announced retirements recently like mcgrath, langer, gilchrist, hogg, tait and worst of all, they couldnt even beat zimbabwe last year in the 20/20 wc. aus might win a few more series against teams other than india, but they wont be able to dominate anymore like they have done since 1999. and within the next 5 years, india would have broken the aussie record of 16 straight test match wins after mr defensive dravid gets dropped

I liked this part:

The Age's Tim Lane said: "Australia will continue to have the measure of most. The days are gone, though, of endless, predictable crushings of mismatched opponents," he added. The Australian newspaper also attacked Symonds, urging him to curb his "big mouth." "Symonds' big mouth either on the field or in print has been a significant cause of grief and embarrassment for Australian cricket in recent months," it said. "It would be a great relief to everyone if he let his at times spectacular batting and fielding do the talking."
YES ! We've seen all this before. Gavaskar's comments after the '04 tour of AUS being the perfect example. He talked about how he was seeing "cracks developing" in the Australian side and once the test series was over, he claimed that India had finally dethroned the Aussies to become the #1 team in the world. If you don't believe me, check out the quotes section in the Sportstar magazines which were published at the time. Turns out that the only crack developing was the one in Gavaskar's posterior. In Indian cricket, everything can fall apart in a matter of months. Let's see the team win regularly (both home and away), over an entire season or longer. Then we'll know that they are a good side capable of being the best in the world.
Yes. We had one good tour, thats great, but, lets see consistency before pronouncing 'India the future, Aus the past" etc.

Its a typical overreaction from the media & the fans after an Australian loss. It happened everytime in the past, after an Australian loss. It happened in 2003/04, happened in 2005 Ashes, happened after Aussies's loss to Eng & NZ before the world cup & its happening now. Aussies were a victim of their own aggression, in this series. They refused to respect the young Indian bowling attack. They refused to play conventional cricket on low scoring pitches. Inspite of being out of form, most of their top order opted to blitz the opposition, which they have done so well all these years. In this series it didnt come off, because for the first time in many years, India managed to get many of their players firing together. Our opening bowlers got wickets. Our slow bowlers kept up the pressure in the middle and our death bowling too was great. Such performances, had been wasted by our batsmen in the past, but in this series, we saw even our batsmen firing to support our bowlers. The result was a hard and well earned series win. Now coming back to the Aussies, I think they will still be a very good team in both forms of the game, for their ability to make the most out of their talent. However they will no longer be the dominant force that they are today. In ODIs, Aussies have won a plethora of BIG games, by either blitzing their opponents with their aggressive batting or by running thru sides with their great bowling lineup. With the likes of McGrath, Gilly, Hogg & Hayden (soon to follow) retiring, the Aussies will have too many boots to fill too quickly. The Aussie top three is the key to their batting fortunes. Once you shake their top order, their batting powers will be reduced by half. With Gilly & Hayden gone, they will no longer to be able to post 300+ totals as easily as they used to. In Tests too, Gilly's & Hayden's retirement will hurt (more so by Hayden's). Hayden more often than not, manages to get on top of the opponent bowlers & quickly saps the morale out of their opponents. His big presence in the middle & his bullying batting have played a huge role in keeping the winning streak of the Aussies going. Lack of a quality spinner & lack of a McGrathesque bowler will hurt their chances in subcontinental conditions. I dont expect their 'hit the deck hard' type bowlers (Johnson), to do well, on lifeless subcontinental pitches. Even Stuart Clark who depends so much on gentle seam movements for his success, will struggle in dead wickets. Because this bowling lineup is inexperienced, they will start doubting themselves when things arent going their way. Thats when the character of their young bowlers will be truly tested. In short, Aussies will continue to be a very good team, a benchmark for success and an example for other teams to follow, but will no longer be the invincible team they used to be. Opponents now know that if they bring their A-game to the table, they can beat the Aussies in both forms of the game, as the Aussies no longer have a McGrath or a Warney or a Gilly to call up on to pull them out of the woods.