Australia postpone Pakistan tour : Tour unlikely until at least 2009

There's one massive thing people are missing: The Australian cricket team isn't a target. Nobody in Pakistan has any interest in attacking the Australian cricket team. Even then, they have been assured security that can best be described as suffocating (just ask SA, they demanded it and they got it). Like I said earlier, it's not as if they security issue is just being pulled out as cover to just go and play IPL, the security issue is totally valid. The line of thinking I imagine from the Australians though is "It would be great to earn some extra cash with this IPL thing. Oh, a tour of Pakistan. Jeez, I hate touring that wretched place, cabin fever here I come. Plus, it sounds pretty unstable, might as well go play IPL."
These are high profile people, K, and somebody might just get the damnfool idea of highlighting their cause by slaughtering them. At least that's how their wives and children would be thinking. It's a worrying time for cricket. If Pakistan lose their home Tests, the whole cricket calendar is thrown into jeopardy.
I have no sympathy for the AUS cricketers -If England , Saffies can visit so can they. Indians probably politically Pakistans (most under threat from terrorists) rivals can visit without any harm.. Aussies are cowards.
Walking into a war zone is called foolishness, nothing to do with cowardice.

The feeling here in Australia is that the tour will go ahead.All this threatening not to go is simply politics. It enables CA to get whatever they want. The safety card is a the biggest trump card to hold and AC know it. They will threaten to pull out for another month or so and in the meantime Pakistan will spend a fortune on security measures. AC will then declare it OK to tour with restrictions and conditions. AC will come out the big winner. The real threat to the cricket team is less than the rest of us in this age, and the threat to us mere mortals is very very low. The trouble is the media pounces on disaster wherever it happens in the world. These threats are simple politics.

I travel the world frequently and through Pakistan as well. One of the tragic legacies of the Howard government was to put us all in a state of fear and expectation that we will all be bombed. It just isn't true. there are dangers around every corner in the world and 99.99% of us get through a day without being harmed.You can either sit at home and be totally safe( and even there there are hazards), or get out there and enjoy life...which involves some risk. I would most definitely be encouraging my son to go and play if he was on the Aust team.

I have no sympathy for the AUS cricketers -If England , Saffies can visit so can they. Indians probably politically Pakistans (most under threat from terrorists) rivals can visit without any harm.. Aussies are cowards.
Did any team tour after Bhutto assassination ? Aus didn't play in SL in WC 96. That was before 9/11 and the war was just in 1 part of the country and Aus had no connection to the war. But internal Pak struggle has , in small parts, to do with the whole "islam being oppressed by the west" esp in Iraq. Aus, which has troops in iraq, has the chance of being targeted. It would be stupid to tour Pak now for any team,and not just Ind,Aus and Eng.
how about pcb ask ACB to send over Aussie troops to pakistan to firm the security for aussie playerz i really want this seriez to happen. can't wait to see aussiez beat the hell out of sadak paar log.. why can't pcb bloody ask that favor from ACB send over their troopz
..then you can surely see some attacks PCB - is a cricket board, OK Mushy is the chief! what more can they do besides guarantee superioir security? Remember the same fear Indians had back in 2004, we imagined snipers around the ground with a security guard standing right next to the umpire. If India can tour there, any country can! Oh wait even England toured there, it's too much drama from the Australians

All the bomb blasts are happening in the oppositions rallies not in the pro Musharaf political groups or camp. Benazir was killed on 2nd attack, while there were 9 attempts have been made on Musharaf, almost 7 attempts on Sherpao ( Ex CM of NWFP), 3 on Shaukat Aziz and nothing happened to these people. Australian team would be more safe in Pakistan than being in Australia, because people who usually attack or working as so called terrorists are the one going to provide the security to them in Pakistan.

..then you can surely see some attacks PCB - is a cricket board, OK Mushy is the chief! what more can they do besides guarantee superioir security? Remember the same fear Indians had back in 2004, we imagined snipers around the ground with a security guard standing right next to the umpire. If India can tour there, any country can! Oh wait even England toured there, it's too much drama from the Australians
yeah but the Aussies always take the safety route. They did not even go to Sril Lanka during the world cup. And that was before the **** happened.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/336217.html Former Pakistan Under-19 cricketer shot dead Cricinfo staff February 12, 2008 Rahatullah, a right-arm seamer who played for Pakistan Under-19s, was shot dead by unknown assailants in Peshawar while he was on his way to join the North West Frontier Province squad for a domestic tournament. According to a report in the Geo News website, Rahatullah died on the spot after he was attacked while en route to the Arbab Niaz Stadium. Rahatullah, who played for Peshawar, claimed a match haul of 7 for 145 on his first-class debut against Quetta in the 2007-08 edition of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. He went on to play two more matches, ending up with 16 wickets at an average of 19. Earlier, he had represented the Pakistan U-19s on tours to Australia and India. He played one U-19 Test against India, failing to take a wicket, and three ODIs against Australia, the most recent being in October.
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/336217.html Former Pakistan Under-19 cricketer shot dead Cricinfo staff February 12, 2008 Rahatullah, a right-arm seamer who played for Pakistan Under-19s, was shot dead by unknown assailants in Peshawar while he was on his way to join the North West Frontier Province squad for a domestic tournament. According to a report in the Geo News website, Rahatullah died on the spot after he was attacked while en route to the Arbab Niaz Stadium. Rahatullah, who played for Peshawar, claimed a match haul of 7 for 145 on his first-class debut against Quetta in the 2007-08 edition of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. He went on to play two more matches, ending up with 16 wickets at an average of 19. Earlier, he had represented the Pakistan U-19s on tours to Australia and India. He played one U-19 Test against India, failing to take a wicket, and three ODIs against Australia, the most recent being in October.
Damn terrorists :((

It'll be extremely unfortunate if Australia doesn't tour Pakistan. This'd have been the first instance when their bowling attack would have been tested on dead flat track after the retirement of the two stalwarts of their attack. Also, probably Hussey would have faced the sub-continent conditions for the first time along with many such players.

This whole thing screams of an excuse to get out of the series so the players would be free to play IPL. The security issue is relevant, but it's not as big a deal as CA is making it out to be. If that is the case, then it's quite disappointing.
Kablooee, I don't think Australian players can participate in IPL even if the Pak tour is cancelled. Don't they have to play in WI from the first week of May itself with the first tour match starting from May 16th? And IPL will have its final on 30th May, IIRC. So IPL just can't be the reason. They are sounding concerned about IPL contracts because CA has not cleared them as yet and if they don't sign by 17th Feb then they can be out for next 3 years. I don't think playing in Pak or not, is going to make any difference to their participation or absence in IPL.
Kablooee, I don't think Australian players can participate in IPL even if the Pak tour is cancelled. Don't they have to play in WI from the first week of May itself with the first tour match starting from May 16th? And IPL will have its final on 30th May, IIRC. So IPL just can't be the reason. They are sounding concerned about IPL contracts because CA has not cleared them as yet and if they don't sign by 17th Feb then they can be out for next 3 years. I don't think playing in Pak or not, is going to make any difference to their participation or absence in IPL.
In that case, I am officially confused. All the quotes I hear from Australian cricketers talks about participation in the IPL. All the fuss about the sponsorship issue (surprise, finances stealing the focus again) is being talked about as if it's the only hurdle.
In that case, I am officially confused. All the quotes I hear from Australian cricketers talks about participation in the IPL. All the fuss about the sponsorship issue (surprise, finances stealing the focus again) is being talked about as if it's the only hurdle.
CA hasn't cleared them because they want to give global protection to their sponsors while IPL has refused to accept it. Another point CA is concerned for is that instead of putting hard yards for the state or country, players would be hanging boots early to earn more than what they do in one year while playing for Australia or state, in just 44 days of slam bang cricket in IPL. So quite validly they need protection from all these kind of threats before permitting them to play for IPL. If the Aussie players sign by sunday, they get huge amounts as base money even if they don't participate due to national duty. But if they don't sign, they won't get opportunity for next 3 years. Players don't want to miss such a huge chunk of money and are impatient for their board to clear them.