Tendulkar on Australia tour, 2007-08

Feed

Australians more defensive than before - Tendulkar Though he praised younger cricketers like Praveen Kumar, Ishant Sharma and members of the victorious Under-19 squad, Tendulkar said there was a need to look back to find out how many youngsters made it to the Indian team as teenagers and then went on to play for a long time. More... Sachin Tendulkar reviews the tour of Australia Australians more defensive than before - Tendulkar Cricinfo staff March 13, 2008 331352.jpg Sachin Tendulkar upper cuts over the keeper © Getty Images Sachin Tendulkar has said the current Australian team is more defensive than its predecessors. "In 1991, they did not go on the defensive if an Indian batsman played a couple of shots," Tendulkar told the Hindu. "In the recent series, however, they immediately posted a deep point. This did not happen in 1999 or in 2003. This was the first time they set a scattered field." However Tendulkar, who has toured Australia four times since 1991, said it was nice to play them as the game always moved at a different pace altogether. "I have not had a look at their juniors, but from the look of it that's how they play. The bowlers like to challenge the batsmen even in their domestic competition. There were verbal exchanges as well." As a batsman, the defining moment of the tour for him was his two shots over the wicketkeeper off Mitchell Johnson. Assessing the Australian bowlers he has faced over his career, Tendulkar put Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne at the top of his list, followed by Brett Lee, who, with 24 wickets, was the leading wicket-taker of the Test series, and Craig McDermott. But Tendulkar said Australia's batting had been more of less the same as before and it was the Indian bowlers on this tour who had challenged them more often. "On various occasions their [batsmen's] temperament was tested. We created and sustained the pressure and the intensity was great. Though he praised younger cricketers like Praveen Kumar, Ishant Sharma and members of the victorious Under-19 squad, Tendulkar said there was a need to look back to find out how many youngsters made it to the Indian team as teenagers and then went on to play for a long time. "Ishant had a terrific tour, his future looks very good. But it's equally important not only for him, but everyone else not to get carried away. "We need to strike that balance between staying in the present and also looking at the future. But one cannot forget that the Test team has also tasted success. We should not forget that what the seniors did in the Tests laid the foundation for the tour." Yuvraj Singh and Wasim Jaffer were in poor form during the tour but Tendulkar said this wasn't because the two have trouble playing on bouncy seaming tracks. "Australia is not the only place in the world where there is pronounced seam and bounce and both these batsmen have scored runs on those tracks. It's a case of ups and downs and it was just a coincidence that it happened in Australia." Tendulkar said this tour was the most special of all four he'd bee on because of India's win in the Perth Test. "If one looks back at the series we challenged them more than they did us."

Yes cochise, and that a much more difficult shot than what it looks like. Sachin has mastered that shot now. Look how much he is in control. Its not easy when the ball is sailing way over your head. That could pop up anywhere. But Sachin is in full control.

You can only be elegant when you are fully in control. Elegance is so underrated in sports. People don't seem to understand that it is the mark of mastery that accompanies elegance. Another batsman that you may care to savour for elegance...is the deeply spiritual Laxman.

Ive all bats with which I scored centuries: Tendulkar Sachin Tendulkar has more bats than any sport goods shop as he has kept all the bats with which he scored 81 Test and ODI centuries. More... I’ve all bats with which I scored centuries: Tendulkar Agencies Posted online: Thursday , March 13, 2008 at 1606 hrs IST New Delhi, March 13:: Sachin Tendulkar has more bats than any sport goods shop as he has kept all the bats with which he scored 81 Test and ODI centuries so far. The master batsman, who has scored 39 hundreds in Tests and 42 in one-day internationals, however, said he did not know how many bats he had collected so far. “I have all the bats with which I have scored hundreds (in Tests and one-dayers). I don’t know how many bats I have but I have kept all of them,” he said. Tendulkar, who scored three centuries -- two in Tests and one in the tri-series finals -- on the recent tour of Australia, singled out two shots against paceman Mitchell Johnson as his ‘defining moments’ of the tour Down Under. “Probably, the two shots that I played over the wicketkeeper’s head off Mitchell Johnson during the first final in Sydney,” he said. “Similarly, off Brett Lee in the Perth Test. Also, those straight drives off Lee in the Melbourne one-day which we won,” he told ‘Mid Day’. The 34-year-old cricketer, with a career spanning over 18 years, said his obsession with the game had only increased with time. “Yes, it has. I am enjoying everything and it is fantastic.” Tendulkar said foundation for the Perth Test win was laid in the second Test in Sydney which was the “turning point” of the series. “That partnership (with Rahul Dravid at Perth) was extremely important. That sent a strong message to the Australian dressing room. But it was the Sydney Test which changed things and caused the turnaround. We just carried that momentum into the next Test at Perth and in Adelaide. It was from Sydney where things started working differently,” he said. Tendulkar’s advice to team-mates for the Test at the WACA, touted to have the fastest pitch in the world, was to spend time in the middle. “The only thing I told my team-mates was that if you spend some time at the crease in Perth, it is the toughest place for bowlers... There are always opportunities to put the ball away and that’s the way I would approach it... is what I told them.” Tendulkar agreed that a “couple of more” warm-up games in Australia before the start of the Test series would have helped the Indian team. “Ideally, one would have liked to have a bit more practice. The one warm-up game we played was washed out. That was tough but you don’t make excuses,” he said.

Here is the original interview, if you like: Rhythm and Blue Author: Clayton Murzello Date: 13 Mar 2008 Sachin Tendulkar on what made him and Team India tick on the recent tour Down Under image_gallery?img_id=1040608 Tendulkar takes a break from a commercial shoot yesterday. PIC/SURESH KK SUCCESS means the world to Sachin Tendulkar. Team success, the universe! No wonder he appeared forthcoming and fulfilled. The Australian summer was a controversial, but memorable one. Not many teams have shown the nous to come back and put a Test series in the balance against Australia. India went into the last Test with a chance of squaring the series after being two-down. Tendulkar played his part with tons in Sydney and Adelaide. Rarely have Australia been shown the door in a tri-series in recent times. India did, aided by two grand knocks from the maestro which lit up Sydney and Brisbane last week as the curtains came down on the battle. It was a day of work for Tendulkar yesterday a commercial shoot in suburban Mumbai. The location would be tough to find, he warned. It was. Here’s what he told MiD DAY: Sachin Tendulkar has not ceased to surprise the cricketing fraternity. It has been another great tour of Australia… First of all, I don’t play to surprise people. Right from my childhood days, it has been a terrific dream that I have been living. I just want to go out there and enjoy, not to prove something to someone. The ultimate dream was to play for India and I am living it. What did the Indian team prove on their tour of Australia? We proved to many guys who tended to think that Indians cannot play fast bowling on hard and bouncy tracks. Hopefully, they got their answer when we won the Perth Test. That’s what we needed to convey and sent our message out very strongly. What was your approach to your supposed last Australia tour? I kept things normal, very simple. I was not thinking about all these things (talk/emotions of my last tour Down Under). I noticed the standing ovation I got wherever and whenever I walked out to bat. It was overwhelming and truly special — something I will remember throughout my life. There were a few guys who told me that I must keep the camera footage of those moments. It was so special. But then, from a cricketing point of view, the job had to be done. I was approaching every match, every innings the way I always do. image_gallery?img_id=1040696WOW! Tendulkar celebrates after India clinched a historic win in the Perth Test at the WACA ground in January. pic/afp How we conquered Perth Do you think the Perth partnership with Rahul Dravid was one of the highlights of the Test series for you from a batting point of view? Yes, that partnership was extremely important. The way we scored runs was even more critical. That sent a strong message to the Australian dressing room. But, it was the Sydney Test, which changed things and caused the turnaround. We just carried that momentum into the next Test in Perth and the last one in Adelaide. It was from Sydney where things started working differently. Before Perth there was talk about the Tait threat and chin music. Do you remember going and saying something to you teammates? The only thing I told my teammates was that if you spend some time at the crease in Perth, it is the toughest place for bowlers. Because, the good length spot becomes smaller and smaller. You pitch it up and the batsmen can hit on the up. If you falter by a couple of feet on the shorter side, you can cut. If you look at it from a negative point of view, you will notice the bounce, the pace, the movement – everything. There are always opportunities to put the ball away and that’s the way I would approach it. Here’s an opportunity to score and that’s how we should look at this game, is what I said. image_gallery?img_id=1040616Sachin Tendulkar in a relaxed mood yesterday. pic/suresh kk You scored two Test hundreds in your supposed last tour of Australia just like your first tour there in 1991-92. Did you take your batting to a new level? (Laughs) I don’t know if I took my batting to a new level or not but I enjoyed it. I felt comfortable, I felt I had time to play the fast bowlers. And above all, I loved the free swing of my bat. I was very happy with the way I batted. Did the Sydney controversy help when it came to fuelling the Perth comeback? Honestly, it did not matter much. We were very determined to turn things around. That required courage and character. We were prepared to face all sorts of challenges on and off the field. Our focus and energy were in the right direction and that is what mattered. All the things, which were happening around the cricket, was not important. Once we crossed the boundary line, it was cricket and nothing else. The support we got from the BCCI was tremendous. The Board members really stood behind us. Ponting said that the series would not need a third final…I don’t read the newspapers and neither do I hear anything. I play. And that is what we did — went out and played. Do you think it is a matter of great concern that a team goes to Australia and plays only one tour game before the first Test? Ideally, one would have liked to have a bit more practice. The one warm-up game we played was washed out. That was tough but you don’t make excuses. Only one tour game — that too washed out. Then lose the first two Tests and come back… did the true character in this side emerge here? Exactly. We had a meeting after the loss where a lot of positive things were said. That meeting was useful and our comeback was tremendous. You said a few years ago that I am still obsessed with this game. Has the obsession level risen? Yes, it has. I’m enjoying everything and it is fantastic. Have the NSW cricket association informed you that they are changing the name to Sachin Cricket Ground (light-hearted question) (Laughs heartily) I saw that banner! Can you explain this love affair with Sydney? It is a fabulous ground — my favourite one outside India. I like the atmosphere, the setting. Everything is just fantastic. Do you bring home something from each Test? I have all the bats with which I have scored hundreds with (Test and one-dayers). I don’t know how many bats I have but I’ve kept all of them. The defining moment of the tour for you? Probably, the two shots that I played over the wicketkeeper’s head off Mitchell Johnson during the first final in Sydney. Similarly, off Brett Lee in the Perth Test. Also, those straight drives off Lee in the Melbourne one-day which we won. And you did not want to have Adelaide as your last destination…Obviously, because someone told me that Ponting had said the series would be over in two finals. (I’m only joking). It was good to finish off in Brisbane.

Typically selfish Sachin.
He didn't say what he's going to do with all the bats eventually...he might give them to you. I suspect though, that they will be auctioned for charity, when his career draws to a close. Wait and see. He's a long term thinker.
Guest whineleg

No surprise. SRT keeps all batz with which he scorez centuriez for HIMSELF, but what about batz used in gamez India WON?? Just showz that SRT thinkz only abt his own milestonez and recordz and not the team. But he is GOD so his worshipperz won't allow that to be criticized.

No surprise. SRT keeps all batz with which he scorez centuriez for HIMSELF, but what about batz used in gamez India WON?? Just showz that SRT thinkz only abt his own milestonez and recordz and not the team. But he is GOD so his worshipperz won't allow that to be criticized.
:haha::haha:
:hysterical::hysterical::two_thumbs_up:
Guest Hiten.
Do you bring home something from each Test? I have all the bats with which I have scored hundreds with (Test and one-dayers). I don’t know how many bats I have but I’ve kept all of them.
.....psssstttt. If owning 81 bats is not many, then i don't know what 'many' is :haha::haha: