Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains

DesiChap

NEW DELHI: With the World Cup around the corner and the top eight teams gunning to lift the most coveted trophy in the West Indies, there is good news for Indian skipper Rahul Dravid. Statistics show that the 'Wall' is India's most successful One-day captain among all those who have captained India in at least 20 matches. Under Dravid, India have won 32 of the 58 matches that have produced results during his tenure. That's a success rate of 55%, just a little higher than the 54% success rate that Sourav Ganguly, Mohammad Azharuddin and Kapil Dev had. This may seem like a fine point, but the statistics actually understate how much more successful Dravid has been than his predecessors. That's because, of the 62 One-day matches in which Dravid has captained, only two have been played against a traditional minnow ? Zimbabwe in 2005 ? while the rest have all been against the top teams in world cricket. In contrast, Ganguly had 31 wins against the likes of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Namibia and Netherlands boosting his success rate and Azhar had the benefit of 20 wins against the whipping boys of international cricket. Exclude matches against the minnows and Dravid's success rate drops to 54%, but Ganguly's goes down to 43% and Azhar's to 49%. Only Kapil Dev, with a 51% success rate against the better teams, comes close to matching Dravid's record. Kapil, in fact, has a better record leading away from home ? excluding minnows ? than even Dravid. On foreign soil, Kapil won 49% of the matches he led in, whereas Dravid has won 10 out of 23 completed matches for a 43% success rate. That put's him in third place behind Gavaskar, who had a 46% success rate with 11 wins in 24 matches. Ganguly's record abroad (23%) is the worst among the six captains who have led India at least in 20 matches each. Azhar has the best record at home (excluding minnows) with a 65% win rate, but Dravid is not far behind at 61%. On this list, Ganguly finishes in fifth spot, ahead of Gavaskar, who could captain India to only 14 wins in 35 completed matches. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Dravid_has_best_ODI_success_rate_/articleshow/1653872.cms
so ppl are once again doing the jig at having TOIlet paper reflect their homespun agendas. Let me warn you tho, you trust TOI's faithfulness for your cause at your own peril. that said lets look at what is being dished out: 1. when SG captained India to wins against Zim, they were for the most part hardly minnows. In contrast, WI should be justifiably clubbed as minnows since 2004/5. 2. One of the wins against Kenya was in the WC semis. Surely a team that reaches the semis [if only for one tournament] cannot be clubbed as a minnow [if only for that tournament] 3. the winning spell against the SL at home in 2005 was against the weakest SL team in years, minus many stalwarts. 4. gangs lead India to the finals of every important tournament — performance when it matters most is not luck!

Feverpitch, it seems like you can't digest the results Rahul Dravid is able to produce as captain. That's a bit strange really. I thought the Indian cricket fans by and large are fairly happy with the historical series win. :confused_smile: BTW there is no point discussing Ganguly's captaincy anymore as he is not going to lead India anymore. In fact he has suggested few times he is not keen to captain India anymore. I heard him in an interview all he wants from the rest of his career is to be a part of the winning combination. In fact his contribution has been major in these wins. I'm sure he's enjoying his cricket now minus the pressures of captaincy.

Feverpitch, it seems like you can't digest the results Rahul Dravid is able to produce as captain. That's a bit strange really. I thought the Indian cricket fans by and large are fairly happy with the historical series win. :confused_smile: BTW there is no point discussing Ganguly's captaincy anymore as he is not going to lead India anymore. In fact he has suggested few times he is not keen to captain India anymore. I heard him in an interview all he wants from the rest of his career is to be a part of the winning combination. In fact his contribution has been major in these wins. I'm sure he's enjoying his cricket now minus the pressures of captaincy.
well... i did not bring up the comparison to start with , did i?
so ppl are once again doing the jig at having TOIlet paper reflect their homespun agendas. Let me warn you tho, you trust TOI's faithfulness for your cause at your own peril. that said lets look at what is being dished out: 1. when SG captained India to wins against Zim, they were for the most part hardly minnows. In contrast, WI should be justifiably clubbed as minnows since 2004/5. 2. One of the wins against Kenya was in the WC semis. Surely a team that reaches the semis [if only for one tournament] cannot be clubbed as a minnow [if only for that tournament] 3. the winning spell against the SL at home in 2005 was against the weakest SL team in years, minus many stalwarts. 4. gangs lead India to the finals of every important tournament — performance when it matters most is not luck!
So WI since the 2004-05 season have been worse then what Zimb were five years back?? gosh..what do you smoke FB?? And kenya made it to the WC semis riding on the political boycott of a few teams..so that makes them a non-minnow as well..awesome :two_thumbs_up: SL in 2005 were the weakest team in years..I understand MM and Vaas wernt travelling so they lose 6-1 to India..it would eba insult to call SL a two man team..do not think your point is valid. Gangs had a pretty good run as a captain..he did well..but hes past..RD is the present and pretty much the future too..lets celebrate the wins under him now..hopefully the WC fiasco wudnt be repeated. try enjoying the spirit of the new Team India dude..instead of feeding on hatred.
you are making TOIlet paper look good with your own homespun agenda. :haha: