Deja Vu?

Gambit

How stange is that? If I am not wrong then wasn't this the same match when Hall scored a century on a debut which then would equal Amla's innings in the current test. Whats dissappointing is that in the last 3-4 years the Indian test team hasn't changed at all and the South African has had a near-enough overhaul. Still the proteas dont shy from giving Indians a hard time on their soil. Given Indias current seam attack I would have thought that this "deja vu" wouldnt have happened. I hope to be proved wrong since I strongly believe that the current attitude and talent prevailing in the Indian bowling camp has a huge potential. Lets hope its harnessed in the bet possible manner and not rushed.

This could turn out to be an Adelaide like pitch and test match...where the team batting first has a real chance of crumbling in the second innings and losing PROVIDED the team batting second gets a substanntial lead. Viru got us out of such a calamity recently in Adelaide where the chances of India crumbling in the second innings under a deficit, despite a good first innings total was real. It all depends on WHEN the pitch starts to take a turn for the worse...we have the spinners to take advantage. Ideally, the onset of real deterioration will set in mid day four with India on a lead. Then we could be in for a result. If it starts early tomorrow and the ball keeps low or breaks through the surface...we could be in trouble instead. Pitch holds the key. Tomorrow's first two sessions critical.

I think India will be better off if they play their usual defensive game coupled with an occassional aggression from the likes of Sehwag and Dhoni. Sachin, as usual, would be the weight that might swing the balance in India's favour. India has to save the 3rd day and avoid the follow-on because any such possiblity has a huge potential to boost SA's hope for a win.

Boring but effective. Although maybe he did it just to be right. I met him a few years ago in Hong Kong (before his boreathon) and we were chatting a bit, including joking about his spectacular 99 not out at Headingley in 2003 - one of my favourite test innings. He did say (a little tongue in cheek) at one point that a 99 not out would be remembered more than any hundred he'd make - so perhaps missing out then wasn't so bad. Really cool bloke though, among the nicest people (and cricketers) I've met, shame the SAF board treated him so shabbily.

Wasn't on a debut. He'd played for some time before' date=' and just got promoted to open there.[/quote'] Oh yes, now i remember. It was his debut match against India. But this fact bears no correlation to Amla. Sorry about that and thanks for the correction.