Has anyone ever scored a triple hundred on a green top or a raging turner?

I would love to see or read about that innings. I watched the entire Sehwag show last night, sleep walked through work today and while browsing the net reading various articles, sites, and forums came across this all too frequently(or it's variations), "Yes it was a flat track, but even then to score 300 is a great achievement and that too at better than a run a ball". The qualifications surrounding the description of the innings are either downright stupid and lame or I would like to know of triple hundreds scored on green tops and raging turners. Hell, I would even say probably all double hundreds have been scored on flat tracks as well. To score so many runs, so many things have to go right and when the pitch has life in all probability things won't click for you for 300+ runs at a strike rate of more than 100. What distinguishes this effort from any other triple hundred scored in test cricket is the pace of it. It's a clear 70-80 deliveries quicker than the nearest competition against a world class bowling attack. As far as 300+ run scores go, this one has got to go down as the best effort.

Not only should we keep in mind the 100+ S/R but also the sheer environment he did it in. So much heat, so much humidity. He showed a lot of composure, maturity, and it was a phenomenal effort. I saw a lot of Sachin's innings and Dravid's innings. Prior to this, 233 by Dravid at Adelaide was my favorite innings because of the magnitude and the result of the game. No matter what happens now, this has been a pleasure to watch and I consider myself lucky to have caught this game. It is my favorite right now. Such disdain towards all of the bowlers who were hyped to run through us is awesome. Perhaps the pitch had something to do with it. It doesn't matter. it was an awesome innings and he should get all the credit he deserves without the pitch and everything else coming into the equation.

Good points. Building tall scores requires incredible concentration, impeccable shot selection, some amount of luck, audacity to play aggressive shots when required, fitness among other things. On a live track, more than one of the above factors wont align with the batsman. However, one BIG knock that i consider classy is VVS' 281. It didnt come on a road (after VVS's efforts, the Aussies were bowled out for a sub 300 total). Also the attack was world class backed up by an excellent fielding unit. Add the fact that it came under dire circumstances, there is nothing that can compare with that knock. Truly a master class from Laxman. On an aside, IMO, Veeru's ability to pile on & on so consistently, after he surpasses his ton, is attributable to his scant care for numbers. Veeru never thinks 150 or 200, after reaching his 100. He plays the same way *thru out* his innings. If anything, he only gets more reckless as he approaches a milestone. This often means, there is very little or no pressure on Veeru, as he approaches his milestones. And having such a superb hand eye coordination and ability to hit high percentage boundary shots help too. It would be interesting to see his approach in the morning. But methinks, he'll come out swinging. He wont care if he gets out at 325 or 400. Infact thats his best chance of breaking world records. Long live Veeru! Whatta playah!

The strike rate at which the 300 was scored nullifies the flat track argument. Ask any of the top batsmen from any era they will mention it takes far too much effort to score 300 once let alone twice. Otherwise the likes of Afridi would have had 300s against their names too.

Yeah VVS' 281 is right at the top. Coming back from a 270+ deficit in the first innings and to pile on such mountain of runs against McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Co. was super special. The fact that India won the test and the series made it even memorable!!