Any player in Cricket can be picked out with Statistical holes.

These observations are more profound than StatsGuru. He says Sachin should bat like Sehwag after a 100, while Sehwag should have batter like Sachin till he reached 30s. But unlike Sachin, didn't have the luxury of knowing there is a fab4 MO coming after him. :giggle: so he could go all out.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29557357/kapil-dev-sachin-tendulkar-never-became-ruthless-batsman

Kapil Dev: 'Sachin Tendulkar never became a ruthless batsman'

A comparison between Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag: 'To Sachin, I used to say, "You must watch Sehwag"'
"Sachin had so much talent, we hadn't seen it in anyone. He was born in an era where he knew how to score hundreds but he never became a ruthless batsman. Sachin had everything in cricket. He knew how to score hundreds but didn't know how to convert those hundreds into double-hundreds and triple-hundreds. Sachin had the talent to make at least five triple-centuries and another 10 double-hundreds because he could hit fast bowlers and spinners for a six or a four every over. However, he got caught up in the Mumbai cricket [mindset]: when you score a hundred, make a line and start from zero again. And that's where I said no, you are such a ruthless cricketer, be like Virender Sehwag.

"I used to tell Sehwag to be like Sachin: you have so many shots in your armoury that if you wait for 30-odd minutes, you will get to a hundred. To Sachin, I used to say, 'You must watch Virender Sehwag', who, upon reaching a ton would aim for at least one boundary an over if not two. So in the next 20 overs, he was close to his double-hundred. That was the difference. At times, you don't have people around you to point things out to you and, at times, you are not aware of your own strength. Sachin's strength was par excellence and incomparable, but after reaching a century, he would often take a single and get off strike."

That line about Mumbai cricket is from the likes of Gavaskar. They are obsessed with 100s and 200s! 

@Mariyam It's not like we don't enjoy the moments of magic. We live and aspire to see individual brilliances and relish it, especially if it comes from your favorite player or cry if it comes from your least favorite player (like Barbie 500). It is not a binary that if we are discussing stats and comparing ATGness, it doesn't mean we don't enjoy the game in the moment. After the game is over, we want to relive the performances and look back how others didn't show the same brilliance in similar match conditions and gloat. It's another aspect about how we enjoy the sport.  

We all know about 175 from Kapil Dev and what a momentous situation it came in and we appreciate. But after that, if we check if he had scored any other century in ODIs, you will not find. That is the only 100 he has scored in ODIs. Not to take away his greatness, but something to ponder and wonder. There were not many similar situations where our top order collapsed and he had to bat in as early as in the 8th over. Also, that game was for 60 overs, which was reduced to 50 overs after the WC. So, he had like 50 overs to play out which he did .  Such analysis will give a different aspect of the sport, when we go above the game and look at a span of time. 

One thing I hate to do, is analyze a series and say if you take out one brilliant innings, he had an ordinary series. Well, you can't. There is no way to analyze a performance, by taking out good brilliant innings, just to fit in your theory. I have done that too, but I hate it.

Edited by coffee_rules
5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Yeh kya chutiyapa hain. That is why it is wrong to compare players across generations. He is bowling every ball the same place and all are getting out in the same way

That is good bowling! .... Those are wkts taken highlights, which does not take into consideration, the pressure he must have created .... In most such clips including of quick bowlers, you will find similar ways where batsmen get out by nicking the ball, getting out hoolking, lbws, and so on 

Below is Hirwani's 16 wkts for e.g.