Dale Steyn is a GTB?

First, congratulations to South Africa for a thumping win. Their domination of this match was epic. With the niceties out of the way, let me pose this question - is Dale Steyn a Green Track Bully? 4/103 at Chennai followed by 3/91 on an eased-up A-bad pitch. Average of 28. His prize scalps? Harbhajan and RP twice each, Kumble, SCG and Dhoni once each. Point? He is a good bowler who excels when conditions are completely in his favor, but quickly turns into a mediocre performer when there is no juice in the wicket. His real mettle will become apparent against a full-strength Indian line-up on a decent pitch. If this argument sounds ridiculous, I hope it is never used to describe Virender Sehwag's worth as a batsman either.

If one has any kind of cricket knowledge then he would know that the kind of shots sehwag plays, he just can't be defined as FTB.. no track is for him to dominate or to pressurise him.. His shorts are same for both tracks.. and he might fail/pass on both kind of tracks..

It is pretty ridiculous. Did any bowler get any serious boost from playing in the Chennai test? That pitch was completely dead even by indian standards. On a normal Indian wicket' date=' he'd get atleast 6-7 wickets per match.[/quote'] By the same token, did VS get any serious boost from the 1st session wicket on Day 1 of the A'bad test? To ridicule VS (or any Indian bat) for failing under those conditions is just as ridiculous. Not calling you out in particular - just making a comment on the general over-reaction to one bad session. Why are Indian batsmen expected to play under all conditions, but other teams' bowlers are anointed "great" after one session in highly favorable conditions? The hypocrisy is appalling.
By the same token' date=' did VS get any serious boost from the 1st session wicket on Day 1 of the A'bad test? To ridicule VS (or any Indian bat) for failing under those conditions is just as ridiculous. Not calling you out in particular - just making a comment on the general over-reaction to one bad session.[/quote'] I never ridiculed VS, but just said that it isnt fair on Steyn to judge him on the Chennai wicket. Of course batsmen get out for low scores on greentops/minefields, thats perfectly normal even for the best of the best. Similarly there are very few bowlers who would have got any meaningful wickets on such a graveyard.
I never ridiculed VS' date=' but just said that it isnt fair on Steyn to judge him on the Chennai wicket. Of course batsmen get out for low scores on greentops/minefields, thats perfectly normal even for the best of the best. Similarly there are very few bowlers who would have got any meaningful wickets on such a graveyard.[/quote'] Like I said - I wasn't calling you out. Looks like we agree that the argument can go both ways. If someone claims VS is an FTB, then he/she should agree that (on current evidence) Steyn is an GTB.
Why are Indian batsmen expected to play under all conditions, but other teams' bowlers are anointed "great" after one session in highly favorable conditions? The hypocrisy is appalling.
Steyn isnt annointed as "great" after just one session. Noone says that he's great at all (not yet, atleast). Yes, he eventually needs to learn how to get wickets on surfaces that are completely unhelpful. Only then will he be termed as a great. Same applies to any batsman. If you can perform extremely well, consistently, under all sorts of conditions, then you're a great. sorry: 2 posts because of the edit.
Noone says that he's great (not yet' date=' atleast). Yes, he eventually needs to learn how to get wickets on surfaces that are completely unhelpful. Only then will he be termed as a great. Same applies to any batsman. If you can perform extremely well, consistently, under all sorts of conditions, then you're a great.[/quote'] Well ... I've seen the "Steyn is a great bowler" posts here, and heard it from Kepler Wessels etc. The hyperbole gets old sometimes.

i dont knw if hes a GTB or wat but he has taken 12 wkts in the series 9 against tailenders 2 against struggling dravid and jaffer 1 against ganguly-bad decision the whole saf pace battery has blew the indian batting Ishant sharma needs to tell kumble hes ready wth these arseholes are coming into our own den and embarrasing us they're making steyn into mcgrath