The Day of the Jackal (1973)

zen

The Day of the Jackal (1973) .... Based on the book by  Frederick Forsyth .... Holds up very well even today .... One of the greatest thrillers of all time and among my favorites .... A cat and mouse game b/w an assassin & the police 

It is the early 60s in France. The remaining survivors of the aborted French Foreign Legion have made repeated attempts to kill DeGaulle. The result is that he is the most closely guarded man in the world. As a desperate act, they hire The Jackal, the code name for a hired killer who agrees to kill French President De Gaulle for half a million dollars. We watch his preparations which are so thorough we wonder how he could possibly fail even as we watch the French police attempt to pick up his trail. The situation is historically accurate. There were many such attempts and the film closely follows the plot of the book.

IMDB

Is this among your favorites? Which are the similar films that you like?

Additionally, the restoration by Universal and Arrow gives it a new life:

Edited by zen

My favorite scene is where the jackal may need to abort his mission. He is at a crossroad where one road leads to Paris & the other to Italy. He decides to take the challenge of the French police on .... That reminds me of the scene from Heat where Robert de Niro turns his car back. 

PS

i009498.jpg

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

I enjoyed the book better, there were lotsa of changes made and some errors as well. But a great book turned to a not so great movie.

Why the comparison with the book? As a book even The Godfather could read better than the film to many.  

More appropriate comparison could be with similar films

Edited by zen

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Why the comparison with the book? As a book, even The Godfather could read better than the film to many.  

It is natural to compare when the Film says it is adapted from a novel/book. Godfather in its two parts was faithful to the book, to the core. I liked them both. Of course, the film toned down the sexual scenes, description to everybody's senses.

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

It is natural to compare when the Film says it is adapted from a novel/book. Godfather in its two parts was faithful to the book, to the core. I liked them both. Of course, the film toned down the sexual scenes, description to everybody's senses.

The more appropriate comparison would be with similar films .... Not every film based on a book would use 100% of the material as writers adapt the material to a different medium (and presumably a larger audience).  Also not everyone reads the book and/or are watching the film for the book

Edited by zen