Crock watch: A number of Indian players suffering from injury of late!

Kumble writes!

It was extremely disappointing to go through the Test match in Ahmedabad because after the first few hours, we were always on the back foot and chasing South Africa. Frankly, when we got shot out in 20 overs, it happened so quickly that we didn’t even realize what was happening, while it was happening. And before we could take it all in, we’d lost all the top order. There was certainly something in it for the faster bowlers right through the game and a bit more early on, but at the same time, given the kind of batsmen we have, we should really have handled it. But this was one of those innings where things just went wrong collectively: The outside edges would go straight to the fielders and the inside edges onto the stumps. Still, we were in with a chance to get back into the game, when we had four batsmen down for 110 but the partnership between de Villiers and Kallis really took the game away from us. Like I said, once you’re behind a team, it’s really very difficult to get back into the game. The only chance is if you get the opposition out for 200-250 and that did not happen here. Well, it’s happened and while it was a loss that hurt all of us badly, now, it’s time for us to look ahead and recoup. We’ve had a couple of days off we’ve been talking about what to do next to try and ensure we put things in perspective and look at the task ahead, winning the Test and squaring the series. The only snag in our plans are the injury worries, we have a couple we have to work around --- unfortunately, my own injury is the major concern really --- and that is giving us some stress but hopefully, everything will be sorted out by Wednesday. Actually, no one is unfit or anything, this has all got a lot to do with the amount of cricket we’ve been playing, not actual fitness woes. There’s not been too much rest in between and under the circumstances, this is bound to keep happening. It’s something we have to deal with. The wicket here has always been slow, with a low bounce and from what I’ve been given to understand, nothing much has changed at the Green Park either in terms of the ground or the conditions. A few local boys who have played most of their cricket here, Kaifi, Piyush Chawla, RP… even if he’s not part of this squad… their inputs will be useful. Let’s see how things pan out. We have a fantastic record at home, and do not want to mar it by losing a series, so how we go about playing this game will be hugely important. We all know the responsibility we carry and realize that the only way to do this is to get a really big score and have the bowlers come up with a special performance. I’m pretty positive that we will be able to do that.
Article I think Kumble wont be playing , Chawala & Kaif might get a chance.. I hope they do ! Do you guys think his injury will depend upon the pitch eh ? I don’t think so but still I guess if it’s a turning track then it'll motivate Kumble to push a little harder to be in the XI

Alex Parker in Johannesberg Times: India’s poor excuses for losing can’t Test the truth The article referred to is here: http://www.thetimes.co.za/Columnists/Sport/Article.aspx?id=744099 While I am inclined to disagree with the article, I cannot find any reason to disagree with it. I think the article was written in an emotional hyperbole rather than in a calm and judicious state. The language reflects that. But, if we remove the pretentious criticism of the Indian team and look for the fundamental reasoning used to criticize our performance as a #2 team (as per the present ICC rankings), I am unable to find anything wrong with the article. Between 1987 and 2000, we remained unbeaten(in test series) at home. South Africa broke that trend. Australia has since defeated us at home. Now, we are potentially facing yet another series defeat at home. But it has to be noted that between 1987 and 2000, our away record had been abysmal at best. Since 2000, we have increased by leaps and bounds. Our batsmen have been able to adjust to the seaming and bouncy pitches. Even more importantly, we have a set of talented fast-medium bowlers who have delivered more often than the bowlers of the 90s. Yet, they have so much more potential. What is the reason for not realizing this potential? Is it complacency? Is it that we are not inclined to praising our bowlers as much as the batsmen? Is there no inspiration? I am not sure. But our bowlers have been aggressive (in more ways than one) and show that the future is bright. So this reasoning makes me believe that the article is far too hostile in regards our dismal performance at the Ahmedabad Test match. Yet, our record indicates that we play to draw rather than to win. We play with a fear of losing, and we play, despite our wins having been a result of our bowlers, as though our batsmen are our saviors. Perhaps, that has to change, though our recent record shows that the team only is confident when we have runs on the board rather than have the tenacity to triumph under any circumstances. We give up far too easily. I do not however agree with the article in its statement that we are a bunch of egotists who are focused toward self-importance rather than the team's victory. I think in recent years, all our victories have been team victories rather than individual brilliance yielding a face-saving result (as it was through out the 90s with only one brilliant individual). I would like to read your views and perhaps correct me as well in my interpretation of our team and the article.

Is this the reason for India's poor performance? Overpaid but overworked and fatigued Anand Vasu, Hindustan Times Kanpur, April 09, 2008 First Published: 23:13 IST(9/4/2008) Last Updated: 00:28 IST(10/4/2008) If you think India’s cricketers are deliberately hiding injuries, pushing themselves to the limit before finally breaking down, think. At times when the focus is sharply on fitness, as it is with Anil Kumble being a doubtful starter for a must-win Test, there will be a few conspiracy theories hatched. Just why are India’s players getting injured so often? The answer, it turns out, is rather unglamourous and straightforward: They’re tired. In a 15-month period, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India’s busiest cricketer, had been through five continents, eight countries, taken more than 50 flights and clicked over 100,000 air miles, a report in cricket website Cricinfo suggested. And yet somehow, he hadn’t picked up a major injury. Others were not so lucky. Niggling doubts At the end of the recent tour of Australia, John Gloster, the outgoing physio had listed each players’s injuries and it made for shocking reading. The report, a copy of which is with the Hindustan Times, lists out in detail just what injuries and niggles each player suffered from. Almost every player was recommended rest followed by strengthening and reconditioning, and in some cases even surgical intervention. But, given the way cricket is scheduled these days, the time players have to recuperate in non-existent. In Ahmedabad, after practice on the eve of the Test an Indian batsman looked so drained that you wondered how he would even take the field. “Playing in India at this time of the year is like this. There’s nothing you can do about it,†he said. “Best is to play 20-over matches in the evening.†Unnecessary IPL debate There has been plenty of noise over whether players have been distracted by the IPL and debate over whether this could have caused them to be shot out for 76 in Ahmedabad. This is churlish and uncalled for, as none of this criticism was being levelled during the first Test in Chennai when batsmen were clattering runs all over the place. Kumble, writing in his recent column has said, “it was one of those innings when everything went wrong. The outside edges went straight to slip fielders and the inside edges back onto the stumps,†which really sums up what happened. But the point is that when a team is losing, and spectacularly, it doesn’t look good that its players have just been away at glamourous promotional events with film stars, especially when the opposite team has forbidden its players from doing anything not directly related to Test cricket. But then, for the players, it’s not about looking good. It’s about doing a job. And for India, that job has been made tougher by the spate of injuries. Tired and tempted Should the players then be forced to take rest? “It’s really tough,†says Andrew Leipus, the former Indian physio. “Fatigue in cricket, unlike other sports, is very difficult to quantify. The cricketer himself is probably the best judge but it’s difficult for them to ask for a rest because they want to play as much as possible. It’s a career that lasts 10 or 15 years and everyone wants to make the most out of it. It’s very tricky.†But if there’s so much burn out, and such busy schedules, why are the players queuing up to add to their calendars playing in tournaments like the IPL? “It’s a really tough call,†Jacques Kallis said recently. “The money on offer makes it very difficult to refuse. Yes we are playing a lot of cricket, but then an opportunity like the IPL is hard to say no to.†Kallis stood to lose more than $ 200,000 if he missed the first week of the IPL and went back home to play in the semi-finals and final of the domestic Pro20 competition. It’s all well to say that these are highly paid professionals, and must do their job, day-in and day-out. They’re trying to do just that, but no matter how many extra millions you pay, a crocked knee is still a crocked knee. ------------------------------------------------------------ This could be reason for lack of energy and extra enthusiasm in the field and lack of motivation too. But then, what should they do? Should they vacate the place for the next set of players who might be less experienced but at least will be full of energy and motivation to prove themselves. Still didn't Kumble, Dravid, Laxman, Jaffer, Ganguly and RP Singh get a rest of more than two months before this series started? What excuse do they have for the poor performance and fitness? Why are they increasingly looking like lost kids who do not know the way to destination? I just don't get it!

I don't reckon too much cricket can really be blamed for the loss. The likes of Sehwag, Jaffer, Rahul Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Kumlbe have hardly had any cricket over the last couple of months. Half the team has been resting and most have enjoyed a break while Sehwag and Rahul batted in the first test match too. If any it was the bowlers that are over worked but it was not because of the bowlers India lost the test match. If anything India must have lost because majority of the batsmen haven't had much international cricket since the Aussie test series. What is wrong with these writers? Don't they ever analyze rather than just write the hearsay. Saffies have been on road for quite some time now but they are winning. Aren't they as tired as the Indians? In fact they play 3 pace bowlers usually. Pollock has retired and Nel was dropped.

As Kumble said they had one terrible and possibly series losing session. Before they can even think what to do, they were all out in 20 overs. It happens in cricket and sports. They have to come back hard and I am sure they will. Once they start to win again, everybody will STFU

These are just excuses' date=' I am afraid, Chandan.[/quote'] I know Dhondy. At this moment, it'll seem like excuse and as a cricket fan, I'm not hunting for those. In fact I'm just trying to figure out the reason for Indian players forgettable performance in this series.Why has India performed so poorly since the series in Australia, which even if lost, showed that Indians were as strong as the Aussies? They are not looking anywhere near that team just two months ago. As Ravi said, even South Africans are overworked. But even if I've not counted, I can bet that SA has NOT played 14 tests, 37 ODIs and God knows how many T20s since May 2007. Can anyone help me here in telling me how many internationals SA has played in last 11 months?
Thanks. So this certainly is much more than what SA has played--3 tests and 13 ODIs more. Apart from this, India has faced the stronger opponent in every series (England was #2 then and Australia was #1),bar BD while SA has faced only the softer and weaker opposition. It'll be worth seeing how the south Africans fare in the coming 8-9 months when they'll face stronger teams. Even then their numbers won't match with that of India. I'm sure fatigue is one of the reasons for the poor performance but it is only an excuse as of now--the taste of sour grapes!
I know Dhondy. At this moment, it'll seem like excuse and as a cricket fan, I'm not hunting for those. In fact I'm just trying to figure out the reason for Indian players forgettable performance in this series.Why has India performed so poorly since the series in Australia, which even if lost, showed that Indians were as strong as the Aussies? They are not looking anywhere near that team just two months ago. As Ravi said, even South Africans are overworked. But even if I've not counted, I can bet that SA has NOT played 14 tests, 37 ODIs and God knows how many T20s since May 2007. Can anyone help me here in telling me how many internationals SA has played in last 11 months?
Chandan, you are overlooking one VERY important aspect of all this and its that we almost a totally different team for ODIs and tests. Guys like Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman havent played an ODI or 20/20 for a while on one hand, and guys like Yuvraj, Rohit Sharma, Praveen Kumar, Gambhir, Uthappa, Chawla play exclusively limited overs stuff. And we can literally count with our fingers the number of matches played by guys like Ishant. Of the team members, only Dhoni and to an extent Sachin, RPS and Bhajji have had to play constant cricket in the last 12 months. Even Sachin didnt play 20/20s. So, contrary to popular perception, I think most of our players are well rested.
I think most of these articles are a case of being wise after the event.
I don't think so. I'm sure you've not read the complete report from Gloster, his weekly reports on each player during the series vs Australia. Of course I could not understand all that technical language and medical terms, but it was enough to give me a clear picture. I'm giving you the links. Perhaps you might understand something which I didn't. Or in any case, I'll ask Dhondy to have a look at it and explain it to us. India's tour of Australia: Investigations/Medical Interventions India's tour of Australia (ODI Series): Weekly injury report India's tour of Australia (ODI Series): Injury/Illness Summary India's tour of Australia: Post tour rehab advice and protocols We'll certainly need Dhondy's help here in explaining all these things. Finally, I'm leaving you one of Prem Panicker's comment. I don't agree with his every point but I agree with the gist of his post!

We trust our senior players over fitness matters: BCCI Rajkot:The Indian cricket Board today said they had no hesitation in going by words of senior players on their fitness as they had full faith in them. "If Sachin says he was fit we believe him. He is one of the senior most players of the team and we don't have any reason to verify his statement," he said while responding to a query if Sachin Tendulkar played with an injury. "It was not an issue to verify his fitness. BCCI does not want any comment to be made against senior players over their fitness," he said. The Board secretary also brushed aside allegation that Indian players were distracted because of the cash-rich IPL Twenty20 tournament. "Players concentrate on one game at a time. When they play Test, they concentrate on Test when IPL begins (next week) they will concentrate on IPL," he said. http://www.cricketnirvana.com/news/international/2008/April/news-20080410-200.html