Jan 1 - Jan 5 1992. Sydney. Hero: Ravi Shastri

Surprisingly I have not seen a mention of this match in discussions of great matches/innings. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-australia-1991-92-62295/australia-vs-india-3rd-test-63565/full-scorecard

Aus:  313. 

Ind 483 Shastri (206).  Tendulkar (148). 

Aus 176/8 (narrow escape).    

For all the flak that Shastri gets (a lot of it deserved), he also deserves credit for one thing - maximizing one's own abilities.  His batting ability was maybe ... maybe ... on par with Ashwin's, and he was a bit of a strokeless wonder when he first started, but he had a rare grit and confidence that he could do anything.  And he achieved more than most players at that level. 

He was also a total team-man.  Played every batting position, including opening the batting for a long time with Srikkanth.  He was of course a very good spinner (which is how he started) and a decent fielder too.  

He still has that grit (khunnas) and unwavering confidence, which, when the team is struggling, sounds cocky or stupid or annoying, but that is who he is.  Ever the optimist, and it has served him well over the years.  

Other side-notes:

India went with 4 seamers - a rarity in those days - Kapil, Prabhakar, Banerjee, Srinath.  This was Subroto Banerjee's only test match - India missed a trick by not selecting him again.  I can't remember if he was hurt a lot, but if not, I think he could've served the team very well during the '90s pace drought.   

Grit and confidence doesnt mean batting like Pujara in an ODI innings. This was the early 90s but still 10 off 63 and 17 off 50 :facepalm: he was the main reason we lost the WC match v AUS at you know where - GABBA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very true.  He did some super-frustrating things, getting into a shell in ODIs. 

In fact (and I've said this a few times here already, but WTH):  often we'd turn on the TV a few minutes late for an ODI, India would be batting, score 10/1.  Vengsarkar facing.  Bowler at the top of run up.  And we'd be intently looking to see who the non-striker was and literally praying that it would be Srikkanth and not Shastri!