Ultra rich and land ownership

gattaca

3 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Looks like few ultra rich in US own lot of land. One being a vaccine guy the other being founder of CNN. Now they can control what we eat. Does that worry you ? We can talk about sustainable agriculture and all but they can control lot of things in our diet now. @BacktoCricaddict 

Do you have a link so we can assess what is being said?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/05/bill-gates-climate-crisis-farmland

Maybe this article^^?

Total agricultural land in the US:  470,000,000 acres.  Bill Gates owns 242,000 acres --> 0.0005:1 or 0.05 %.  

So, if the size of all ag land in the US is 1 acre (43000 sq ft), the size that Bill Gates owns will be 22 sq ft (20% of the size of the room I am sitting in typing this.   

Ted Turner does not own land for crop cultivation.  He owns 2 million acres of grazing land for cattle where little else will grow.  He cannot force you to eat beef, if you don't want it.

I am not worried.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

1 minute ago, gattaca said:

I was super-curious ... so I looked it up and found it.  See my comments above.

Truth of the matter is that you cannot feed the world with old, traditional, native farming methods (with those methods, 1 farmer fed 2-4 people).  With today's farming methods, 1 farmer feeds > 100 people.  So, you and I can sit and argue on the internet instead of pulling weeds on our subsistence farm.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

1 minute ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/05/bill-gates-climate-crisis-farmland

Maybe this article^^?

Total agricultural land in the US:  470,000,000 acres.  Bill Gates owns 242,000 acres --> 0.0005:1 or 0.05 %.  

So, if the size of all ag land in the US is 1 acre (43000 sq ft), the size that Bill Gates owns will be 22 sq ft (20% of the size of the room I am sitting in typing this.   

Ted Turner does not own land for crop cultivation.  He owns 2 million acres of grazing land for cattle where little else will grow.  He cannot force you to eat beef, if you don't want it.

I am not worried.  

But water is going to be a scare resource who can own the water rich land will be mostly rich. The drought in US western regions is evident it is going get worse.