Simon Doull: Ajinkya Rahane has had his time

The Realist

Looks it needs somebody from outside the cesspit of cronyism and nepotism to tell simple truths

Simon Doull has said that India’s current stand-in captain Ajinkya Rahane should be dropped for their second Test against New Zealand in Mumbai.

Speaking on Byju’s Cricket Live, the former Kiwi-seamer highlighted the fall in Rahane’s batting average over the last few years and the competition for places in the India side as a reason for the vice-captain to be left out. “Loyalty lasts a certain amount of time,” he said. “They’ve shown an immense amount of loyalty to [Cheteshwar] Pujara and Rahane. His average has gone from almost fifty to under forty. I think he’s had his time”,  Doull said.

Rahane is currently captaining India in the absence of Virat Kohli, but Kohli will return for the second Test match against New Zealand. Shreyas Iyer, on debut, has scored a century and a fifty in in Kohli’s absence, whereas Rahane has only managed scores of 35 and 4. “You cannot deny a player like Shreyas Iyer a Test match after he’s just got a hundred and a fifty, so for me, unfortunately, Ajinkya Rahane misses out. Stick with Pujara for this Test match, he bats at three, Kohli bats at four and Shreyas Iyer at five. If they don’t do that then I think the selectors are making a mistake.”

https://wisden.com/series-stories/new-zealand-v-india/simon-doull-ajinkya-rahane-has-had-his-time-shreyas-iyer-has-got-to-play

Edited by The Realist