FDA approves bivalent boosters that target new Omicron variant(s) in addition to the original strain

BacktoCricaddict

https://www.statnews.com/2022/09/01/your-questions-on-the-new-covid-vaccine-boosters-answered/

How is this shot different from the ones we’ve had before?

All previous Covid shots have only targeted one version of SARS-2, the original strain sequenced in early January 2020. As you know, the virus has mutated a lot since then, with a variety of variants and sub-variants having emerged.

Omicron — which has splintered into multiple families of variants and sub-variants — is so different from the original virus that it can get around or escape the protection the vaccine generates. So this shot contains a version of Omicron as well as the original vaccine.

It’s the first update of Covid vaccines, but it won’t be the last.

Who is eligible for the new boosters?

The Pfizer-BioNTech booster was authorized for people 12 years of age and older. The Moderna booster was authorized for people 18 and older. People who are fully vaccinated against Covid — those who’ve had a primary series — and people who’ve had a primary series plus one or two previous boosters are eligible to get one of these new shots.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Do we go about seeking the booster ourselves or the doctor would recommend based on earlier vaccination records? Such a naive question! Lazy to Google.

You go about it on your own.  Within a week (if not already), pharmacies will have them listed for appointments. If I recall correctly, you were Omicron-positive and have been vaxxed/boosted?  You could probably hold off until the winter unless you are immunocompromised in other ways. Given that I work among students, I'll probably get mine Oct-end.