Three Cheers For Vengsarkar

Three cheers for Vengsarkar Monday , March 05, 2007 I had no intention to write this hurried piece, but am compelled to do so, courtesy some extremely asinine comments made by typical fuddy-duddy bureaucrats who administer Indian cricket, and certain senile ex-cricketers who corroborate their rapid mental deterioration from time to time in media spotlight. I refer to the unusual brouhaha over Chief National Selector Dilip Vengsarkar?s comment on a TV channel that Virendra Sehwag was strongly backed by his skipper Rahul Dravid, albeit the selectors were not necessarily unanimous on selecting the Nawab of Najafgarh for the World Cup team. At the time of writing, a couple of ignorant, ineffective and incompetent officials who occupy key positions in the BCCI are actually working overtime contemplating strictures against Vengsarkar, whose cricketing achievements adorn the Lord?s Pavilion, and who is remarkably taciturn, essentially a low-key character. In fact, Dilip has violated NO internal selection discussion norms. Let?s be bluntly honest; the majority public opinion all over India , including those of maverick gad-flies like Bishen Singh Bedi, was against Sehwag. Most retired cricketers were hugely circumspect on the stocky man?s return. So what has Vengsarkar said which should cause such a national disturbance? In fact, Dilip needs to be congratulated for being so utterly transparent and crystal candid. The most critical, honest confession made by Vengsarkar in the TV interview has been totally clouded over by these bumbling buffoons. Vengsarkar admits ruefully that when he was captain, he was virtually powerless , with the selectors practicing their injudicious whims into a fine souffl?. Dilip was perhaps naturally empathetic when Rahul Dravid stood fighting for the struggling Sehwag, and conceded that the captain naturally knows best. It is this open-minded flexibility that is the need of the minute. Just when the World Cup is round the corner, we will have the ridiculous spectacle of the BCCI , which is nothing but a quasi-multiplex-mall like commercial and business enterprise and power centre, planning on humiliating the Chief Selector through the national media, of course. Does anyone in BCCI realize how such grossly stupid actions on such a respectable former cricketer will demoralize the Indian team in the Caribbean islands? I have always suspected that BCCI officials were slightly deficient in intelligent thinking, but with several failed experiences even the monkey learns to behave himself. On the flip side, I feel on the contrary Virendra Sehwag will doubly appreciate his captain?s faith in him, and rebound with remarkable flourish. There is no better motivator than a captain that inspires his crew against all odds. Take my word, but unwittingly perhaps, but Dilip Vengarskar may have actually helped team-bonding, ensured more open communication, introduced some fresh air in selection policy, and created a less despotic selection chief ( unlike his predecessor, Kiran More) who respects the captain?s views. Check the ground reality; aren?t we all happy that Rahul Dravid has got the team he wanted? Shouldn?t we say hats off to Dilip for not behaving like an egotistical selector but instead understanding his captain?s preferences, and acceding to it, even if he did so reluctantly? And having the courage to say so? It?s time the paunchy administrators of BCCI who know as much about cricket as Amitabh Bachchan?s much advertised knowledge about crime rates in his beloved Uttar Pradesh, kept their verbal dysentery under strict observation. Colonel, I salute you!

Re: Three Cheers For Vengsarkar Vengsarkar IMO is one attention seeking fella. I have no time for a selector that goes around saying "We don't have enough talent in this country to pick". He was a classy batsman but that's about it. He's a man that suffers from lack of attention and to get one he tries to make some really silly comments every now and then. Even Rahul Dravid has been dealt with similarly when he had a go at the Team Manager recently. I think the BCCI is stupid enough not to give out a job description to these guys. They seem to operate in their own style and everyone wants a piece of media. In the same logic Greg Chappell is the best coach since sliced bread, he has an interview to give out on a daily basis. If you are happy with Vengsarkar then you ought to be happy with Greg Chappell. Even Greg Chappell said Irfan is suffering from mental makeup but is a fantastic cricketer.

Re: Three Cheers For Vengsarkar

In the same logic Greg Chappell is the best coach since sliced bread, he has an interview to give out on a daily basis. If you are happy with Vengsarkar then you ought to be happy with Greg Chappell. Even Greg Chappell said Irfan is suffering from mental makeup but is a fantastic cricketer.
Can't stop laughing at this, Ravi. Well said! :wtg: Birbal, Who has written the article, and can you give us a link?

Re: Three Cheers For Vengsarkar

He's a man that suffers from lack of attention and to get one he tries to make some really silly comments every now and then. Even Rahul Dravid has been dealt with similarly when he had a go at the Team Manager recently.
I concur with that. I must say I have been surprised by the willy nilly comments coming out of Indian team and Administration of late. Everyone from Vengsarkar to Sehwag seems to have an opinion these days. Every single day you open a media with some comments from a person within the team or outside. And these when Indian team has hardly done anything of note in past few years. As the saying goes, "Khaaya peeya kuch nahin, glass tora baarah aana". :doh: Can you imagine what these chaps would be upto if India actually won the WC? xxx