Breaking News: Mohammed Asif caught at Dubai Airport

Some of the responses on this thread are pretty lame. The guy may be a dope fiend but he hasn't been charged with anything while his detention is prolonged without proper cause. There are plenty of honest, hard working Pakistani cricketers just like there are plenty of Indian players who are take bribes for match fixing, cheating etc. To blanketly criticize an entire nation based on the conduct of some small time village chump like Asif is as ass headed as well, carrying around dope in your wallet for months until you get caught in airport security.

Some of the responses on this thread are pretty lame. The guy may be a dope fiend but he hasn't been charged with anything while his detention is prolonged without proper cause. There are plenty of honest, hard working Pakistani cricketers just like there are plenty of Indian players who are take bribes for match fixing, cheating etc. To blanketly criticize an entire nation based on the conduct of some small time village chump like Asif is as ass headed as well, carrying around dope in your wallet for months until you get caught in airport security.
Maybe its the reaction of the board which shows the world that such an attitude is ok in Pak cricket and you can get away with it. I can wager anything that no other board would have let its players go scot free after over-turning a doping ban. It lloks again that asif will go scot free here so please do not be surprised if fingers pint towards Pakistan as a country because international players are reflection fo their countries adn represent their countries globally. For those into cricket in UK or australia, Asif is one of the faces of Pak
^^ do you actually believe he had it in his wallet for months and forgot about it thats total BS
No, I just equated two similar levels of ignorance. One based on an as of yet unproven detainment of Asif and another based on the reactions on this thread.
Maybe its the reaction of the board which shows the world that such an attitude is ok in Pak cricket and you can get away with it. I can wager anything that no other board would have let its players go scot free after over-turning a doping ban. It lloks again that asif will go scot free here so please do not be surprised if fingers pint towards Pakistan as a country because international players are reflection fo their countries adn represent their countries globally. For those into cricket in UK or australia, Asif is one of the faces of Pak
You really think so? Man I respect your opinion but I think stereotyping an entire community/race/country based on individual instances is as bigotted as it gets. It's like saying all the Aussie's are *****holes because Ricky Ponting is a jerk. Michael Holding has some fantastic views on the type of stereotyping that goes on in Asian/West Indian vs other cricketing nations/bodies. For example people go on and on about Asif/Akhtar taking banned substances and are ridiculed even though since then they've been cleared/tested clean. But Warne is mentioned as a cricketing GOD even though he violated the same rules. Pakistan or India lose in the World Cup and everyone shouts match fixing, when South Africa lose time and time again (also to Bangladesh) and everyone says they choked even through they have the likes of Cronje and Gibbs fresh in recent memory. Everyone talks about Wasim/Waqar/Imran tampering with the ball but it was common practice among the legends of fast bowling around the world. Just remember, if you're unfairly ridiculing these people (and different than just telling jokes) based on where they're from then you're no better than that douchebag David Lloyd.

Some excellent points there by Fontaine. Some of the stuff written on this thread has been quite clearly OTT. There does seem to be a certain blase attitude about circumventing rules in Pakistani cricket, though. Asif and Shoaib's exoneration, Afridi's gross misdemeanour while scuffing up the pitch, PCB's nudge-nudge wink-wink attitude to doping, thumbing their nose at WADA in the process (they are "now" WADA compliant, having carefully put such compliance back until both cheats could be cleared on appeal), and finally this episode, where both PCB and the Pakistan embassy in Dubai have been trying to get their best to influence the judicial process in a sovereign country, are bound to leave a bad taste in the mouth. Some fans here find this kind of behaviour an outrage, and overreact. No wonder.

Fontaine, the actions of some Pak cricketers and their board just cannot be condoned or excused any longer. We have seen fiasco after fiasco after fiasco in the past 2 years in Pak cricket. Oval saga, Nandro episode, Actor hitting Asif, Woolmer's demise and now this. Even the most ardent Pak fans would admit that PCB's actions have been as reprehensible in all this as those of the cricketers involved. It doesn't Indian fans to ridicule Pak cricket these days. They do it themselves.

You really think so? Man I respect your opinion but I think stereotyping an entire community/race/country based on individual instances is as bigotted as it gets. It's like saying all the Aussie's are *****holes because Ricky Ponting is a jerk. Michael Holding has some fantastic views on the type of stereotyping that goes on in Asian/West Indian vs other cricketing nations/bodies. For example people go on and on about Asif/Akhtar taking banned substances and are ridiculed even though since then they've been cleared/tested clean. But Warne is mentioned as a cricketing GOD even though he violated the same rules. Pakistan or India lose in the World Cup and everyone shouts match fixing, when South Africa lose time and time again (also to Bangladesh) and everyone says they choked even through they have the likes of Cronje and Gibbs fresh in recent memory. Everyone talks about Wasim/Waqar/Imran tampering with the ball but it was common practice among the legends of fast bowling around the world. Just remember, if you're unfairly ridiculing these people (and different than just telling jokes) based on where they're from then you're no better than that douchebag David Lloyd.
Actually i should have said Pakistani team and PCB instead of Pakistan as a country. Many countries do look at Pakistani players with eyes askance, they believe PCB is a tool and that Pakistani team does not have any integrity. All this not only becuase of the action of a couple of players but the attitude of the board towards those violations
Fontaine' date=' the actions of some Pak cricketers and their board just cannot be condoned or excused any longer. We have seen fiasco after fiasco after fiasco in the past 2 years in Pak cricket. Oval saga, Nandro episode, Actor hitting Asif, Woolmer's demise and now this. Even the most ardent Pak fans would admit that PCB's actions have been as reprehensible in all this as those of the cricketers involved. It doesn't Indian fans to ridicule Pak cricket these days. They do it themselves.[/quote'] I'm not talking about condoning or excusing. I'm talking about making blanket statements about a nation/race/community based on the actions of a few like tinynuts over here did:
Quote by marirs_mania Seriously, why are the Pakistani cricketers so intent on embarrassing their country and fellow country-men? They merley reflect the society and people they come from!
I'll address some of your fiascos now: -The Oval saga? Where Daryl Hair produced NO EVIDENCE of ball tampering? -Shoaib hit Asif and got banned correctly. What about Lillee kicking Miandad ON THE FIELD? How long was his ban for? -Woolmer's demise? How was that on the Pakistani team or PCB? The PCB literally left their cricketers to the local police and let the investigation take it's course. -Nandro episode? Warne/Asif/Akhtar got banned but here I do agree that it shouldn't have been overturned. So again what does the above have to do with judging the nation/race of Pakistan?
Actually i should have said Pakistani team and PCB instead of Pakistan as a country. Many countries do look at Pakistani players with eyes askance' date=' they believe PCB is a tool and that Pakistani team does not have any integrity. All this not only becuase of the action of a couple of players but the attitude of the board towards those violations[/quote'] Fair enough. But the same could be said of the BCCI trying to bully other boards and the ICC (Harbhajan Singh race abuse) because they're such an influential body. Hey, all I'm saying is that there are levels of hypocrisy present in this game. When a bomb explodes in Pakistan everyone says it's unsafe even though there's no history of violence against cricketing events. Bombs go off in London/England in the past because of the IRA or presently because of terrorists and no big deal right? It also comes down to the minor sh*t. A decent bowler like Sidebottom is being touted as one the best in the world by english journalists while someone like RP Singh gets no publicity even though he outbowled Sidey in the same conditions with a better average and more wickets in less overs in the SAME CONDITIONS and even showed the long/curly haired bum how to bowl over and around the wicket. Or when you look at some of the things David Lloyd has said about Wasim Akram and how he imitates him by putting on a lame APU from the QuickiMart accent. That sh*t just annoys the **** out of me so I refuse to be part of that bullshit. Just because Asif/Akhtar might be chumps it's doesn't mean someone like Inzi/Tanvir/Afridi are.
I'm not talking about condoning of excusing. I'm talking about making blanket statements about a nation/race/community based on the actions of a few. I'll address some of your fiascos now: -The Oval saga? Where Daryl Hair produced NO EVIDENCE of ball tampering? -Shoaib hit Asif and got banned correctly. What about Lillee kicking Miandad ON THE FIELD? How long was his ban for? -Woolmer's demise? How was that on the Pakistani team or PCB? The PCB literally left their cricketers to the local police and let the investigation take it's course. -Nandro episode? Warne/Asif/Akhtar got banned but here I do agree that it shouldn't have been overturned. So again what does the above have to do with judging the nation/race of Pakistan?
Where am I pronouncing judgements on their country or their people? I am strongly condemning actions that seem to have become a habit for their cricketers and their board. And there is no way one can excuse Pak cricketers and PCB for what has transpired over the past few years. And the Asif/Akhtar banning was a joke. Atleast Warne served a year. Atleast other boards take action on their cricketers but PCB seems to look the other way. These two were back in no time with sentence being reduced every other day. Look at Akhtar's ban. From 5 years, it's down to 18 months. Give it another week and it will be down to a day.
Where am I pronouncing judgements on their country or their people? I am strongly condemning actions that seem to have become a habit for their cricketers and their board. And there is no way one can excuse Pak cricketers and PCB for what has transpired over the past few years.
Don't worry about bro. I edited my original post to show who I meant and you didn't make any such judgements. You're cool with me.
Cool :top: BTW why such hatred for David Lloyd? I think he's the best of the lot amongst commentators along with Nasser.
Lloyd is a mental midget who's a patronizing screwup. Wasim Akram and some other Asian Bowlers who have a great grasp of the English language are imitated (on air) by Lloyd as Apu's accent from the QuickiMart. This is what I DON'T UNDERSTAND. The players between India/Pakistan share a common history/culture. They respect each other and call themselves Afridi Bhai, Shaoib Bhai, Dada, Sachin Ji etc so why the bitterness towards Pakistani players here? I mean compare that to the recent tour India went through England where an unkown, talent less, wicket jockey like Matt Prior was tauting RP Singh when he was batting saying "I drive a porsche to work, what do you drive?" and juvenile ******s like Bell/Cook throwing jelly beans at Zaheer Khan? If you want to get geniunely pissed off at a bunch of no talent whiners and sore losers then do it against England who have over rated cricketers publishing autobiographies when they're still in their early 20's, get over hyped and over exposed, and as soon as they win anything (Ashes) they declare themselves great only to have their over inflated egos pounded black and blue soon after. I mean seriously, how the funk does an average bowler like Sidebottom who's fattened up his stats against New Zealand get hyped as one of the best swing bowlers when his average skyrockets against decent teams? Only the dumbass English press/media and team.
Lloyd is a mental midget who's a patronizing screwup. Wasim Akram and some other Asian Bowlers who have a great grasp of the English language are imitated (on air) by Lloyd as Apu's accent from the QuickiMart. This is what I DON'T UNDERSTAND. The players between India/Pakistan share a common history/culture. They respect each other and call themselves Afridi Bhai, Shaoib Bhai, Dada, Sachin Ji etc so why the bitterness towards Pakistani players here? I mean compare that to the recent tour India went through England where an unkown, talent less, wicket jockey like Matt Prior was tauting RP Singh when he was batting saying "I drive a porsche to work, what do you drive?" and juvenile ******s like Bell/Cook throwing jelly beans at Zaheer Khan? If you want to get geniunely pissed off at a bunch of no talent whiners and sore losers then do it against England who have over rated cricketers publishing autobiographies when they're still in their early 20's, get over hyped and over exposed, and as soon as they win anything (Ashes) they declare themselves great only to have their over inflated egos pounded black and blue soon after. I mean seriously, how the funk does an average bowler like Sidebottom who's fattened up his stats against New Zealand get hyped as one of the best swing bowlers when his average skyrockets against decent teams? Only the dumbass English press/media and team.
Lloyd is so bad, it is staggering how he's managed to hang on to the SKY job for so long. Non-stop uninformed chatter, pre-meditated, seriously unfunny jokes and just the occasional look into his grumpy, garrulous and misanthropic self such as the pitch tampering allegation that came out of nowhere against McCallum in the only Test where NZ did well, and was shot down by Ian Smith with the scorn it deserved. If that ain't enough, his fawning when Sir Botham is around can make your skin break into a sprint, let alone a crawl. On the subject of Indo-Pak amour, or lack of it though, I have some information to impart Fontaine. Without showing off, I can tell you that some of the admins here regularly entertain ex-Test cricketers, who have donned Indian colours. The story from the horses' mouth is that the brotherhood on show on the field towards their counterparts from across the border from Pakistani cricketers is just a facade, and no sooner have you turned your back, you are liable to find a sharpened knife in it...buried to the hilt. Also passed on was information that steroid abuse has been rife in Pakistan cricket for many years- only now has it come to the surface through ill conceived tests performed by PCB, who then made a laughing stock of themselves by repudiating their own findings, the equivalent of a man staring at the axe he had driven through his feet with a rather surprised expression, wondering how it had got there. As for sledging, and swearing, the Pakistanis led by Miandad were some of the worst around, targeting the members of the Indian team who felt were less seasoned, until Aamir Sohail discovered to his chagrin that he was in danger of suffering the same fate that had befallen Sidhu's adversary in the road rage incident. Wasim Akram, who now makes a lot of dosh in India, is on record as saying that whenever his side were out of form, all they had to do to get back on song was play India. This, despite having played a handful of matches versus India. And who can forget the smarmy, glib and self indulgent advice by the underachiever Aqib Javed to Indians to eat more red meat, imputing that factor as the reason for Pakistan's historic superiority over India in the pace stakes. Lot of love there, eh? Among the newer lot, I still remember the send off Tofee Kumar gave to a player of Tendulkar's stature after that innings in the 2003 WC. A clear eff-your-mother salute if ever there was one. I don't know whether you are a Pakistani or an Indian, Fontaine, and it doesn't really matter, you do make some very good points, but your views on how India-Pakistan interactions should be on fan forums is impossibly naive and utopian. There is bad blood among fans, and there's a very good reason for it.
Lloyd is so bad, it is staggering how he's managed to hang on to the SKY job for so long. Non-stop uninformed chatter, pre-meditated, seriously unfunny jokes and just the occasional look into his grumpy, garrulous and misanthropic self such as the pitch tampering allegation that came out of nowhere against McCallum in the only Test where NZ did well, and was shot down by Ian Smith with the scorn it deserved. If that ain't enough, his fawning when Sir Botham is around can make your skin break into a sprint, let alone a crawl. On the subject of Indo-Pak amour, or lack of it though, I have some information to impart Fontaine. Without showing off, I can tell you that some of the admins here regularly entertain ex-Test cricketers, who have donned Indian colours. The story from the horses' mouth is that the brotherhood on show on the field towards their counterparts from across the border from Pakistani cricketers is just a facade, and no sooner have you turned your back, you are liable to find a sharpened knife in it...buried to the hilt. Also passed on was information that steroid abuse has been rife in Pakistan cricket for many years- only now has it come to the surface through ill conceived tests performed by PCB, who then made a laughing stock of themselves by repudiating their own findings, the equivalent of a man staring at the axe he had driven through his feet with a rather surprised expression, wondering how it had got there. As for sledging, and swearing, the Pakistanis led by Miandad were some of the worst around, targeting the members of the Indian team who felt were less seasoned, until Aamir Sohail discovered to his chagrin that he was in danger of suffering the same fate that had befallen Sidhu's adversary in the road rage incident. Wasim Akram, who now makes a lot of dosh in India, is on record as saying that whenever his side were out of form, all they had to do to get back on song was play India. This, despite having played a handful of matches versus India. And who can forget the smarmy, glib and self indulgent advice by the underachiever Aqib Javed to Indians to eat more red meat, imputing that factor as the reason for Pakistan's historic superiority over India in the pace stakes. Lot of love there, eh? Among the newer lot, I still remember the send off Tofee Kumar gave to a player of Tendulkar's stature after that innings in the 2003 WC. A clear eff-your-mother salute if ever there was one. I don't know whether you are a Pakistani or an Indian, Fontaine, and it doesn't really matter, you do make some very good points, but your views on how India-Pakistan interactions should be on fan forums is impossibly naive and utopian. There is bad blood among fans, and there's a very good reason for it.
Fair enough and great comments about the rivalry between the two sides, but I'm not going to let some cricket player (Pak or Indian) show me how to behave towards other people, whether it's Pakistanis/English/Aussies whoever. Screw that. I would rather take my queue from honorable, down to earth, every day people who I know who don't give a damn whether you're Pakistani or Indian. A chump is chump in every country just like fine women are fine women regardless where they're from. As far as sports players are concerned, most of them tend to be self serving, me first people to varying degrees (granted there are some genuine nice down to earth good cricketers) so they're the last people I would get my sense of patriotism etc from. The whole purpose of my posting in this thread was to call out several douchebags who labelled an entire nation based on their own bias and bigotry. They know who they are. I've felt I've said my peace. But again, thanks for the injection of some reality in your previous post. I tend to veer slightly towards giving the benefit of the doubt to people, maybe you call that having utopian views, but screw it no ones perfect. No, not even me.

ICC likely to penalise Asif under WADA rules The ICC is keeping a close watch on the drug scandal involving Pakistani pacer Mohammad Asif in Dubai and the embattled bowler would be liable to penalties under the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) rules once he is released from detention. ICC's Director of Cricket Operations Dave Richardson told a press conference in Lahore on Wednesday that the governing body has asked the Pakistan Cricket Board to keep it updated on the Asif issue. "As far as we know he has not been charged as yet. But since the ICC is a signatory of WADA regulations if he is charged then he is liable to penalties under WADA code of conduct," he added. Asif has been in detention in Dubai since June 1 for alleged possession of contraband drugs. Although the Attorney General of Dubai has started proceedings into his case, a official at the Pakistan embassy in Dubai said the AG would meet Asif's lawyers and embassy officials only in another three days' time. "So far he has not been charged with anything and we are hopeful he will be released soon," the official said. The official said he met Asif in detention. Richardson said the ICC had asked the PCB to keep it informed on the Asif case as it was a signatory to WADA rules, now prevalent for every major ICC event like the Champions Trophy. PCB chairman Nasim Ashraf said the board was doing everything within its power to resolve the Asif case. "Our lawyers are working on it and the good thing is Asif has still not been charged as yet under any offence. So we are hopeful he will be back home soon," he said. http://www.cricketndtv.com/convergence/ndtvcricket/cricketstory.aspx?id=SPOEN20080053532&site=ndtv

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wanted to add that Asif's previous offence was regarding a PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug, which is against the rules of the game and WADA. But this one is a criminal offense and more personal matter is it was a RECREATIONAL drug. Its NOT a repeat offense of the same nature as lots of people on this and other forums are saying. Any number of our own cricketers maybe having those mind numbing drugs, for all you know. But as long as they remain clean w.r.t steroids and other drugs banned by WADA etc, I don't think it should matter to us. Also, Asif is a dumbo.

Guest dada_rocks
I haven't read the whole thread' date=' but I just wanted to add that Asif's previous offence was regarding a PERFORMANCE ENHANCING drug, which is against the rules of the game and WADA. But this one is a criminal offense and more personal matter is it was a RECREATIONAL drug. Its NOT a repeat offense of the same nature as lots of people on this and other forums are saying. Any number of [b']our own cricketers maybe having those mind numbing drugs, for all you know. But as long as they remain clean w.r.t steroids and other drugs banned by WADA etc, I don't think it should matter to us. Also, Asif is a dumbo.
pakistani bhai you are not fooling anyone .. our indian cricketers do not come from thug class who do drugs......most of them are middle class bloke with middle class morality where even cigarette smokign might land you in problem wiht your parents..