Emerging Players Tournament, 2008

Drop catches for the A-team? Bah. This is in Aus, so the selectors will probably not bother going for it and will judge all by the all-informing scorecards. So Chotu will drop a bunch which nobody will notice, score a bunch of runs against the shythouse NZ A lineup and on some of the flat pitches ahead, and the selectors will pitchfork the little bastard back into contention as Karthik falls (rightfully so) out of favour. Goddamnit. Give Rawat a break, FFS.

The bulk of both the teams comprise players who caught the eye during the ongoing Indian Premier League. Chennai's S Badrinath will be Parthiv's deputy in a side that contains Shikhar Dhawan, Abhishek Nayar and Manpreet Gony - all high on the IPL charts.
Where is Venugopal Rao? He's the only player who is not in any of the squads despite his good performance in IPL.
Rao struggled this season in domestics. Others like Dhawan, Rahane, Nayar and Badri deserve a slot ahead of him for that reason.
Salil, Whats ur order within those 4 (for ODIs)? My listing - pecking order: 1. Badrinath 2. Dhawan 3. Nayar 4. Rahane

Emerging Players Tournament, 2008 We'll be having a tournament for Emerging players from the four test playing countries--India, Australia, SA and NZ. This tournament will take place in Australia from 14th July.

By the looks of the avobe itinerary, it looks like a one day tournament. Does anyone have any knowledge about this tournament, like when was it played last, which formant of cricket gets played into this and who is the defending champion, etc? The team for India has been announced: Squad for Australia - Parthiv Patel (capt), S Badrinath (vice-capt), Ajinkya Rahane, Shikhar Dhawan, Manoj Tiwary, Abhishek Nayar, Virat Kohli, Amit Mishra, Pankaj Singh, Manpreet Gony, Siddharth Trivedi, Dhawal Kulkarni, Iqbal Abdulla, Ravinder Jadeja, Pinal Shah. If this is an India A squad then I'm really surprised not to find Munaf Patel, Md Kaif and Dinesh Karthik. Is there an age-limit here or experience limit? If that is the case then where is Sudip Tyagi who was the second highest wicket-taker in last Ranji season? What are your comments?

Its good for the upcoming players to gain some experience in Australia...against some quality opposition.. Never heard of this tournament before..but brilliant idea none the less... Its surprising not to see Kaif, Munaf and KKD in the squad... I still belief...Munaf can be a very good bowler for india ..at least in tests...if we handle him well...and he grows some brain cells... Kaif did not perform well...in IPL..and with so many young players already contesting for the crowded middle order...may be Kaif is not in the Radar of selectors...for ODIs at least... also Iqbal Abdulla???? wasn't he in some ICL team..?? how come he is in a BCCI squad..?? also not surprised to see PINAL SHAH..in the squad... Niranjan Shah..finally got his son in the indian squad....but how come Arjun yadav missed it...:haha:

If this is an India A squad then I'm really surprised not to find Munaf Patel, Md Kaif and Dinesh Karthik.
From the look of the squad, it seems like to consist of players who havent had much if any experience playing for the national squad. Therefore, the likes of Munaf, Kaif and Karthik seem to have been omitted. That squad is really an emerging player squad which is good to see instead of putting some experienced tried and tested players into the squad.
also not surprised to see PINAL SHAH..in the squad... Niranjan Shah..finally got his son in the indian squad....but how come Arjun yadav missed it...:haha:
niranjan shahs son is jaydev shah who is in the india a squad for isreal tour & is also captaining the side. pinal shah has no relation to niranjan shah
guys' date=' where is pradeep sangwan and gagandeep singh?[/quote'] Sangwan is going to Israel, Gagandeep Singh showed in the IPL that he is a pretty average bowler, someone not capable of attaining Test wickets against top quality batsmen. His fantastic List A economy rate has also been discredited due to his poor performance in the IPL where he was hit for many runs.
guys' date=' where is pradeep sangwan and [b']gagandeep singh?
Yes. I'm surprised not to find Gagandeep Singh in the squad. Has he completely fallen off the selectors' radar? Or let us say, VRV Singh or even Vinay Kumar from Karnataka? Where have these folks gone? Somehow, I'm unable to find the reason behind this squad. Is it an India A squad?
Gagandeep Singh showed in the IPL that he is a pretty average bowler' date=' someone not capable of attaining Test wickets against top quality batsmen. His fantastic List A economy rate has also been discredited due to his poor performance in the IPL where he was hit for many runs.[/quote'] IPL is not a criteria for selection at the moment. You just cannot discredit years of good performance in domestic List A matches on the basis of few Twenty-20 games!

I had remarked earlier as well about how strange this squad is - Dropthiv is in no was an emerging player. He has been around on the international circuit for more than 5 years now. Also, though I am happy the like of Badrinath and Mishra have been given a chance, they can't really be called emerging players either. The selectors have got the emerging players squad mixed up with an India A squad.

I had remarked earlier as well about how strange this squad is - Dropthiv is in no was an emerging player. He has been around on the international circuit for more than 5 years now. Also' date=' though I am happy the like of Badrinath and Mishra have been given a chance, they can't really be called emerging players either. The selectors have got the emerging players squad mixed up with an India A squad.[/quote'] Shwetabh, Isn't India A considered to have the second 15 for India? If so, then where are Munaf, Karthik, Kaif, VRV and Gagandeep? Don't tell me that they are not fit to be in the choice of best 30 players for India!! I'm really confused by this squad. Anyway here is the next news concerning this tournament and its players: India ‘A’ and fringe players’ camp from today Bangalore: The India ‘A’ and fringe players’ camp will commence at the National Cricket Academy here on Thursday. The camp is expected to feature 38 players — a mix of two teams which will play in the Emerging Nations tournament in Australia from July 14 and the tour of Israel. The players list is also inclusive of a pace bowling unit training session. The camp is tentatively scheduled to conclude on July 31. However, with a bulk of players slated to don India ‘A’ colours in Australia and in Israel, the number of players might reduce as the camp progresses. The coaching and conditioning staff will include Dav Whatmore, Dinesh Nanavati, P. Amre, B. Arun, Chinmoy Roy, Afzal Khan, Vaibhav Daga, Shivshankar, Vijay Rathore, V. Venkatram, Pradeep Kasliwal, R. Sridhar, Munish Bali and Sanath Kumar. G.R. Viswanath and L. Sivaramakrishnan will be consultants.
Isn't India A considered to have the second 15 for India? If so' date=' then where are Munaf, Karthik, Kaif, VRV and Gagandeep? Don't tell me that they are not fit to be in the choice of best 30 players for India!![/quote'] Munaf Patel, Dinesh Karthik, Mohammad Kaif and VRV Singh are both very much 'in the system' so to speak and the selectors know deeply of their ability. The emerging players competition in Australia seems to be for people who the selectors want to get a long look at. Gagandeepp Singh is considered not good enough, imo, otherwise he would have played the previous India A tour to Africa.
The players list is also inclusive of a pace bowling unit training session.
I really would be interested to see the level of advice given at India A level to fast bowlers. In England, the fast bowling coaching specification is one made by Kevin Shine - incorperated even before he became the fast bowling coach, what is the specification for fast bowlers in India?