Punter makes a good point

Test cricket no longer exciting, says Ponting Ricky Ponting, a great supporter of traditional Test cricket, may not have converted to the latest Twenty20 version, but still feels that the five-day game is just not exiting anymore. "I just think Test cricket is probably not as exciting anymore because of the wickets that we're playing on," Ponting was quoted as saying in the Sydney Morning Herald. "People would rather watch a game in Perth than they would in Antigua. There's much more happening." Ponting opines that the cricket pitches over the world are taking away the excitement from Test cricket. Australia are currently playing in the West Indies where they have had two dull Tests on placid surfaces in Jamaica and Antigua. Ponting feels it is very important to have bounce in the wicket to make it exciting. "There's more bouncers, more batsmen ducking and weaving and sometimes falling on their backsides, more catches behind the wicket, more hook shots. That's the sort of Test cricket that we all grew up watching and enjoying," he added. He contends the surfaces all over the cricketing world are becoming "too flat and too placid". Ponting is also not too excited about the idea of the Test World Championship in a four-year cycle. "You're playing for a trophy every series you play," Ponting said. "It doesn't matter if it's at the end of two or three or four years, there are trophies on the line every series. We've got to look at other smaller ways."
Punter is bang on here. Pitches the world over have simply got to become more and more bowler friendly and result oriented. Batsmen should have to work to get over the once hallowed 50+ average. Only 3 bats had 50+ averages in the 90s compared to the dozens(some of them undeserving) today. I disagree that test cricket has become boring because almost every test series in the past 3-4 has had atleast 1 or 2 amazing tests.

From the Tribune, back in 2004

Sydney, November 7 Ricky Ponting has asked Rahul Dravid to join him in a formal protest over the Mumbai wicket which saw Australia suffer a 13-run defeat in the fourth and final cricket Test against India. Ponting said his displeasure would be spelled out in his official captain's post-match report, and that he was hoping to enlist the support of Dravid, who stood as captain in the Mumbai Test, to impress on the need to have more genuine Test pitches. Australia were bowled in less than a session for 93 off 30.5 overs to lose the fourth Test as 20 wickets fell on a Test day for the first time in history. Ponting, who arrived from Mumbai yesterday, said the Wankhede Stadium wicket was blatantly sub-standard and his side's second innings batting effort could be almost exclusively attributed to the dodgy deck.

Punter is correct but I fail to see if anything would be done about it. There is no way that pitches would be sporting(read bowler friendly) in an era where 20/20 and 50 overs game have clearly overtaken Test cricket. Cricket Administrators are falling over each other to make this a batsman's game what with - 1 bouncer per over(no more repetition of Dennis Lillee bouncing Richards 4 times in 4 balls in a Perth LOI games), heavy bat(most bats these days are bigger, and heavier, than Lloyd's Big Bertha), smaller boundaries(one of my biggest pet peeves is to see the "boundary" rope way inside the boundary) and of course there is this whole "1000$ for most sixes" "1000$ for most fours" yada yada..when was the last time you saw a "1000$ for most maiden overs". "1000$ for least free hits" etc etc. [starts humming - Video killled radio star]

Punter is correct but I fail to see if anything would be done about it. There is no way that pitches would be sporting(read bowler friendly) in an era where 20/20 and 50 overs game have clearly overtaken Test cricket. Cricket Administrators are falling over each other to make this a batsman's game what with - 1 bouncer per over(no more repetition of Dennis Lillee bouncing Richards 4 times in 4 balls in a Perth LOI games), heavy bat(most bats these days are bigger, and heavier, than Lloyd's Big Bertha), smaller boundaries(one of my biggest pet peeves is to see the "boundary" rope way inside the boundary) and of course there is this whole "1000$ for most sixes" "1000$ for most fours" yada yada..when was the last time you saw a "1000$ for most maiden overs". "1000$ for least free hits" etc etc. [starts humming - Video killled radio star]
As you mentioned in one of your previous posts IIRC, if test cricket dies, today's cricketers cannot hide their blood stained hands because they will also be responsible for it's demise. In that regard, it's good to see Punter address this issue. I'd like more and more cricketers state explicitly that test cricket is the form they aspire to achieve excellence in the most and that administrators should take note of this and make necessary changes(not rule changes but other ones like pitches/ticket prices/marketing etc) to keep this form of the game alive and kicking.

He can kiss my @$$ .. didnt they make a flat patta in Adelaide so Aus could win the series ... bhutni kay ... sporting pitches should have a result so it could be a turning track or a bouncy one but when it turns then again its not a sporting track according to them.. rubbish PS: mein bahut gussay mein hoon aaaj ... Pak ki ..................