Shoaib's ban reduced to 18 months

The joke that is Pakistani cricket has outdone itself once again http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/other_international/pakistan/7443055.stm Fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar's five-year ban for indiscipline has been reduced to 18 months by a Pakistan Cricket Board tribunal. The career-threatening ban came after Shoaib, 32, publicly criticised the PCB's allocation of central contracts. "The tribunal has taken the decision with a clear conscience and under no pressure," said tribunal head Justice Aftab Farrukh. Shoaib was also fined around £59,000 by the tribunal. "We also took into consideration the past record of Shoaib and that he had publicly apologised for his behaviour and past deeds," Farrukh added. "He has promised to reform himself and we have also recommended to the board that he should be given proper counselling." Prior to the ban's imposition, Shoaib had been serving a two-year probation for attacking team-mate Mohammad Asif. The tribunal had temporarily lifted the ban to allow him to participate in the Indian Premier League, where he had a brief stint with the Kolkata Knight Riders. Despite the reduced ban, Shoaib, who has played 46 tests and 138 one-day internationals, will miss the Asia Cup and Champions Trophy. His lawyer said the player had the right to pursue an appeal against the 18-month ban. Shoaib's own contract had been downgraded by the PCB.

"How many diamonds can you retrieve from one single mine; there has to be an end somewhere. I don't see any natural fast bowler after me." Shoaib Akhtar, the last of Pakistan's gems, foretells a grim future Jun 14, 2008 :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: