Technology and Umpires : Umpire review system trial in SL-India Tests

Gosh... so much is written in this thread that I couldn't read everything but I have few doubts just like sriram had. I am not sure how fairness of umpires will improve with this. Now he will have a justification for his biasness. For example, bowler like Murli will hit avg 22-25% of his deliveries on the pad. Now, umpires decide to give them out when in doubt. Batting side has no option because he doesn’t really know if it is going to hit the stumps or not. If he appeals and found that he is out then he loses 1 appeal chance, umpire (who is bias) win. But say if batsman appeals and found that he is not out then, there is nothing that opposition team or umpire loses? Same thing when the team whom biased umpire is favoring to is batting. Even if batsman is out, he will say NOT OUT. Now fielding side captain doesn't really know where the ball was pitched, wheather batsman had a bat-cut etc.etc. So on appealing for such decision, he may end up losing his appeal chances. What I am trying to say is umpires can still entice captain to appeal on some tricky decisions and sort of force them to use up their 3 chances. Is this possible or I am not understanding this correctly? All otherwise, looks good to me. It will work more in our favor.

Neutral third umpires for India-SL Tests The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday announced umpires and referee appointments for the Sri Lanka v India Test and ODI series. More... Neutral umpires for India-SL Tests Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:19:15 PM Mumbai: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday announced umpires and referee appointments for the Sri Lanka v India Test and ODI series. And in an important departure from old practice the ICC have named neutral television umpires for the Test series.This is because of the first-time trial of the umpire decision review system in the Test series. The series will see South Africa's Rudi Koertzen becoming the first TV umpire to kick-start the referral system in the first Test. England's Mark Benson and West Indies' Billy Doctrove will fill the role in the second and third Tests respectively. When contacted ICC's media manager Brian Murgatroyd listed three reasons for the having neutral third umpires: *The technology trial means it will be a high-profile series so, on that basis, it makes sense to have the most experienced officials in place *The Elite Panel officials are all used to working with each other so, again, in such a high-profile series, it makes sense to have that continuity *The trial means the TV officials are going to be asked to assist in making decisions on more than the clear-cut line decisions that are the usual staple of third umpires. To remove the added pressure that would place on local officials, it makes sense to have independent third umpires to do the job'' Umpire David Shepgherd wrote in his column last month that there is a need for neutral TV umpires. The system will see the fielding and batting sides allowed three unsuccessful appeals to the umpire per innings to change a decision if it is perceived to have been incorrect. These appeals can be made only by the batsman in receipt of the umpire's original decision or the captain of the fielding side, in both cases by the player making a "T" sign with both forearms at shoulder height. The on-field umpire will consult with the TV umpire, who will review available television coverage of the incident before relaying fact-based information back to his colleague. The on-field umpire will then deliver his decision either by raising his finger to indicate "out" or by crossing his hands in a horizontal position side to side in front and above his waist three times – as per a "safe" decision by an official in baseball. The three-Test series will be overseen by Alan Hurst of the Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees. At the conclusion of the Test series, Hurst will hand over to Chris Board for the ODI series that runs from July 18–29 to be umpired by Doctrove and Sri Lanka Cricket local appointees. The umpire decision review system trial will apply to the Test series only and will not be in place for the ODI series that follows. Test series match referee – Alan Hurst July 23-27: First Test, SSC, Colombo – Mark Benson and Billy Doctrove, TV Umpire - Rudi Koertzen July 31-August 4: Second Test, Galle – Billy Doctrove, Rudi Koertzen, TV Umpire - Mark Benson August 8-12: Third Test, R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo – Rudi Koertzen and Mark Benson, TV Umpire – Billy Doctrove ODI series match referee – Chris Broad Aug 18: First ODI, Dambulla – Billy Doctrove and local appointment Aug 20: Second ODI, Dambulla – Billy Doctrove and local appointment Aug 24: Third ODI, R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo – Billy Doctrove and local appointment Aug 26: Fourth ODI, R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo – Billy Doctrove and local appointment Aug 29: Fifth ODI- Sri Lanka v India, R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo – Billy Doctrove and local appointment

More than neutral' date=' we need competent officials.[b'] I would prefer a competent Srilankan umpire to a neutral Bucknor.
Second that....just that you are appointing a neutral won't make sense.I would prefer some promising young umpires out side the elite panel.
Neutral 3rd umps ... hmmmm .. this should burn the likes of MM nice and long ... :-D
Nope, I dont care if the third umpire is neutral, positively charged, or negatively charged. After all, all of 'em have the same replays to look at and they have very less impact on the game anyway. My only grouse is; Dont mess around with the on-field umpires.:D

ICC chief to inspect umpire referral system Colombo: ICC General Manager (cricket) Dave Richardson will be here next week to inspect the infrastructure that has been put in place for the umpire referral system which goes on trial during the India-Sri Lanka Test series. The ... More... ICC chief to inspect umpire referral system Colombo: ICC General Manager (cricket) Dave Richardson will be here next week to inspect the infrastructure that has been put in place for the umpire referral system which goes on trial during the India-Sri Lanka Test series. The system will allow cricketers to challenge the umpire’s decision to obviate controversies and bring in greater transparency in the game. “We have 22 cameras installed for the first Test beginning on July 23 and the ICC chief will be taking a look at the infrastructure and the installation of large number of cameras ahead of the Test,” a top Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) official said. The official said Richardson and other officials, including those from Sri Lanka, will be briefed by experts on how to use the system. Sri Lankan wicket-keeper Kumar Sangakkara said the new system will help in improving decision making though the players will have to show responsibility while challenging any decision. The on-field captain or the batsman (not the non-striker) will be entitled to appeal by making a ‘T’ sign with his arms. “I am very supportive of the trial as I believe it will help improve decision-making and reduce incorrect decisions, especially in cases where a clear-cut mistake has been made,” Sangakkara wrote in a column in the Sunday Times. “However, I also believe strongly that it has to be handled in the right manner and spirit with players showing responsibility,” he said. Under the new referral system to be tried out during Indo-Lanka series, each team will be permitted to seek review of three decisions of field umpires in each innings.

"I just hope they don't get too silly with it. We need to be a bit careful that we don't jump head-first in and go gung-ho the other way and make too many calls. I don't know how many times there have been three really dodgy decisions in an innings too often. It means almost a third of the wickets that you need to get a team out, you can contest, which seems like a high number to me. Tim Nielsen, Australia's coach, isn't too keen about the idea
of course he isnt too keen ...:finger: