Dubious record for Irfan Pathan

IKP is there for his batting and bowling..he is a gud all round option..and yes although his bowling has not been gud but he is a gud batting option and provides stability to the team..but he has to improve his bowling..its really sad to see him bowl the way he is bowling now..

Irfan is the only decent all rounder around. He is not taking a bowler's place, he has taken an all rounders place. We are playing on flat tracks right now and our openers are in great form, so we are not realizing the necessity of a strong down order. When we face better opposition, we will realize what value Pathan brings as an all rounder.

Guest Hiten.

We need an all-rounder. I rather have IKP than Yousuf any day any time. IKP guarantee's that he will boost our total by atleast 20-30 runs with his late blitz in the death over.

Dubious record for Irfan Pathan today it has proved what i had been saying for months, was very much true the following extract was taken from msn cricket: Karachi: Left-arm pace bowler Irfan Pathan today earned the dubious distinction of becoming the first ever Indian bowler to concede 80 runs in a one-day international though Saurav Ganguly still holds the record of the worst ever innnings economy rate. Pathan, who returned from injury in the last two encounters at the Asia Cup, went for 80 runs off his ten overs against Sri Lanka on Thursday, conceding eight runs an over on a track where fellow left-arm bowler Rudra Pratap Singh gave away only 44 runs off his full quota. In his previous outing against Pakistan two days ago, Pathan went for 68 runs, once again the most by an Indian bowler in that innings. Against the Lankans, the left-arm bowler kept hitting the length at a time when the batsmen were going for quick runs and got carted around for a six and a four in the last over. For the records, the only bowler in the history of one-day cricket to concede a century is Australian fast medium bowler Mick Lewis who got carted around for 113 runs off his ten overs by the South Africans in that historic game at the New Wanderers in March 2006 when the home side chased down 432 runs in 50 overs to register the best ever run chase in limited over matches. Lewis went for 11.3 runs an over as against 12.42 runs an over conceded by his team mate Stuart Clark against the West Indies six months later at Kuala Lumpur. Clark went for 87 runs off just seven overs and shares this dubious record with Bangladesh medium pacer Tapash Baisya who had the same figures versus England when they clashed at Nottingham in June 2005. Our own Sourav Ganguly went for 62 runs in five overs against Pakistan at Toronto in 1998, a match where the Aamer Sohail-led Pakistani team mustered up 316 runs, thanks to a century from Shahid Afridi. All the Indian bowlers went for over five and six an over though Sunil Joshi excelled with figures of 2-36 off his ten overs. Bowlers who have conceded over eighty runs in a one-day match include Sajid Mahmood of England (2-80 off seven overs), Martin Suji of Kenya (0-81 off seven), Rana Naved-ul-Hasan of Pakistan (2-92 off eight overs), Peter Connel of Ireland (0-95 off nine overs) and Andy Blignaut of Zimbabwe (2-96 off nine overs. The list of Indian bowlers who went for over 10 runs an over (having bowled a minimum of five) include Yuvraj Singh, Ravi Shastri, Javagal Srinath, Ashish Nehra, Ajit Agarkar, Kapil Dev, Venkatesh Prasad, Zaheer Khan, Vikram Raj Vir Singh, Venkatapathi Raju, Debashish Mohanty, Tinu Yohannan and Mohinder Amarnath. Ajit Agarkar holds the dubious distinction of featuring in this list thrice. Source: India Syndicate

He has been quite useful down the order with the bat, however, his bowling has been quite pedestrian. though quite frankly, Praveen Kumar has been worse! However, almost all the blame for their lack of success can be attributed to unresponsive pitches, and to some extent, abyssmal catching. for instance, a marauding jayasuriya could have been rained in early had praveen kumar had the alertness to latch onto the relatively easy chance!

Pathan needs another break. I would not pick him to play on flacid subcontinent wickets. Here are some numbers: 1) In about 1/3 rd of his career games(34 out of 100) Irfan Pathan has given away more than 6 runs an over. 2) In about 1/2th of his career(44 games out of 100) Irfan has been belted for more than 5.5

Guest Hiten.
his batting helps' date=' but OMG he needs to do something abt the trash bowling[/quote'] We have no other option BUT to play him. We do not have any all rounder to bail us out (unless you consider PK as an all-rounder :hysterical:). IKP will never ever be our wicket taking bowler but on better pitches he will grab one or 2 wickets conceeding 45+ runs. We have to deal with it, until we get a better replacement.

Why not focus on the specifics instead of making general statements like he's crap? I've watched a lot of Pathan since his comeback and here are a few observations: 1. His pace demands accuracy. If you're bowling at 87-90+ then you can get away with the odd ball per over that is too wide or on leg stump because of the pace. Pathan can't. His pace simply isn't good enough to compensate for errors in line/length. 2. When he came back to the Test setup, he was bowling an immaculate line with slight deviations of length and consistently got the ball to swing away against Australia. He's also shown (since his comeback) that he can get the ball to come into the batsmen as well as swing away (although not as often because it's a harder delivery). At those times he was getting into a great rhythym. 3. Since the Test series, his accuracy in the ODI game has deserted him. I think it's a combination of things. Batsmen have targetted him because of his lack of pace and he's come in as the number 3 bowler usually and started off poorly. In a lot of his ODI games, his first over is almost always filled with deliveries that are scattered all over the place. In other words, he never gets his rhythym and timing going. Because of this batsmen will continue to target him and he just never settles down. What has made it worse is that in the Asia cup the pitches have been so flat so any mistakes have been punished. I think he's still an important part of the team when the ball is moving around because he functions as an all rounder. But at the moment he really needs to go back and learn how to bowl 4-5 identical deliveries with the line length because he's lost that ability and without it, he's a sitting duck at his pace.

Why not focus on the specifics instead of making general statements like he's crap? I've watched a lot of Pathan since his comeback and here are a few observations: 1. His pace demands accuracy. If you're bowling at 87-90+ then you can get away with the odd ball per over that is too wide or on leg stump because of the pace. Pathan can't. His pace simply isn't good enough to compensate for errors in line/length. 2. When he came back to the Test setup, he was bowling an immaculate line with slight deviations of length and consistently got the ball to swing away against Australia. He's also shown (since his comeback) that he can get the ball to come into the batsmen as well as swing away (although not as often because it's a harder delivery). At those times he was getting into a great rhythym. 3. Since the Test series, his accuracy in the ODI game has deserted him. I think it's a combination of things. Batsmen have targetted him because of his lack of pace and he's come in as the number 3 bowler usually and started off poorly. In a lot of his ODI games, his first over is almost always filled with deliveries that are scattered all over the place. In other words, he never gets his rhythym and timing going. Because of this batsmen will continue to target him and he just never settles down. What has made it worse is that in the Asia cup the pitches have been so flat so any mistakes have been punished. I think he's still an important part of the team when the ball is moving around because he functions as an all rounder. But at the moment he really needs to go back and learn how to bowl 4-5 identical deliveries with the line length because he's lost that ability and without it, he's a sitting duck at his pace.
excellent post. You have given me a reason to persist with my faith for Pathan. :hatsoff:
excellent post. You have given me a reason to persist with my faith for Pathan. :hatsoff:
Well it depends on the conditions I think. It's good that we'll have Sree and Bhajji back soon because Bhajji, while not a wicket taking threat, understands how to bowl faster deliveries and mix it up on ODI which means he's usually more economical than Chawla. For example the next couple of ODI matches are in Dambulla for the Sri Lanka tour, at that time of year the pitch there helps bowlers not just because of the windy conditions, but movement off the seam. So a total of 220 is about par with 250 being a very good score. That's typical of Dambulla so I think we have to go with our best swing/seam bowlers there to take advantage of the situation so I would be inclined to go with RP/Zaheer (if fit)/ Ishant and SreeSanth with Bhajji as the fifth bowler. But the problem for Indian cricket has been that we rarely have a full ****nal of pacers to choose from. The norm usually is whoever is fit will play because so many bowlers carry knocks/injuries that act up. So in Dambulla the conditions will really help Pathan but I would rather drop him and choose the above bowlers considering his batting is nowhere good enough to handle pace/swing friendly conditions so there's no point really including him as an all rounder and he's not as good as the above in the swing/pace department either right now. Unfortunately what will probably happen is Zaheer won't be fit so we'll be forced to take Pathan because another seamer is likely to get injured in that tour as well. The last couple of ODI mathes are in Premadasa Stadium where it's a spinning track so go with three pacers and two spinners.

Yes, it probably will be Pathan. However, I'm inclined to think Irfan is a much better batsman (he does have an excellent technique, except that he falls over to left armers and gets out LBW too often).

But the problem for Indian cricket has been that we rarely have a full ****nal of pacers to choose from. The norm usually is whoever is fit will play because so many bowlers carry knocks/injuries that act up.
:haha::haha: We got some ManU mods. Wat abt the gunners? :((