What is your best Indian team from the modern era??

Test team from 70s an on. I do not think any of us go back further than that. Wicket is conducive to both spin and pace. Here is mine. No one hit wonders please............ Sunil Gavaskar Virender Sehwag Rahul Dravid Sachn Tendulkar Mohd Azharduddin Kapil Dev © Farookh Engineer (wk) Anil Kumble Javagal Srinath Zaheer Khan Bishen Bedi 12th man: Ravi Shastri

C'mon guys more teams please? I think the Indian spin quartet in 70s was a bit overrated. sure they were good spinners, but please keep in mind that some countries did not play spin well at all. I think current spinners like Murali, Kumble and Warne have much better records. Dhoni as a wicketkeeper has some ways to go. I chose Engineer over Kirmani because he was a better batsman.

S Gavaskar © Sehwag Dravid Sachin Dilip Vengsarkar M Amarnath Kapil dev Manoj prabhakar kiran more kumble Srinath BS Bedi 12th- Ganguly I wanted to put azhar but just couldnt. Bedi is in my team cause i would love to see him bowl. Sunny is my captain because ganguly is not in my playing xi.

S Gavaskar © Sehwag Dravid Sachin Dilip Vengsarkar M Amarnath Kapil dev Manoj prabhakar kiran more kumble Srinath BS Bedi 12th- Ganguly I wanted to put azhar but just couldnt. Bedi is in my team cause i would love to see him bowl. Sunny is my captain because ganguly is not in my playing xi.
Prabhakar ?? I would prefer Zak or Pathan instead of Prabhakar
It would be fun to watch Dravid and Gavaskar bat together. :D
Gavaskar had the fastest 100 record before Sehwag broke it. He has scored a 100 in 94 balls aginst Marshall and Co in this match: http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1983-84/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T2_29OCT-03NOV1983.html He has also scored a 90 before lunch in Ahmedabad aginst the same famed WI attack: http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1983-84/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T3_12-16NOV1983.html Altho' he was known as one to play for records and draws, he has some amazing fast innings before we know sehwag.
Interesting. I didnt know that. Whenever I think of Gavaskar's batting' date=' I think of someone making 36* in 60 overs in an ODI.[/quote'] Another interesting gavaskar trivia in ODIs: After the WC 83 till the end of his carrer his stats are: unfiltered 108 3092 103* 35.13 1 27 1 1/10 25.00 0 22 0 filtered 71 2287 103* 42.35 1 21 0 - - 0 17 0 It is almost SRTish. or Gangulyish. Only 1 100, but he batted mostly in MO. Nearing the end of his career, he had gotten a hang of ODI batting quite contrary to the beginning of his career. Sad that people remember only 36* in 60 overs.
Another interesting gavaskar trivia in ODIs: After the WC 83 till the end of his carrer his stats are: unfiltered 108 3092 103* 35.13 1 27 1 1/10 25.00 0 22 0 filtered 71 2287 103* 42.35 1 21 0 - - 0 17 0 It is almost SRTish. or Gangulyish. Only 1 100, but he batted mostly in MO. Nearing the end of his career, he had gotten a hang of ODI batting quite contrary to the beginning of his career. Sad that people remember only 36* in 60 overs.
Actually you are right, as great as he was, he picked up ODI batting quickly and towards the end of his career (last 3 or 4 years) he was a pretty good ODI opener.
Gavaskar had the fastest 100 record before Sehwag broke it. He has scored a 100 in 94 balls aginst Marshall and Co in this match: http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1983-84/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T2_29OCT-03NOV1983.html He has also scored a 90 before lunch in Ahmedabad aginst the same famed WI attack: http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1980S/1983-84/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T3_12-16NOV1983.html Altho' he was known as one to play for records and draws, he has some amazing fast innings before we know sehwag.
I distinctly remember those two knocks.....remember the entire series. In Kanpur (first test), Gavaskar has humiliated by Marshall by a rising ball from just short of good length and he got caught while the bat slipped out his grasp. He came in Delhi with guns blazing and there was no looking back for the rest of the series. Remember the 236* in Madras. He was probably the best batsman of the series against a lethal bowling attack of Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Daniel, etc. Unfortunately the rest of the Indian team was not up to it and were blown away in the series.
Interesting. I didnt know that. Whenever I think of Gavaskar's batting' date=' I think of someone making 36* in 60 overs in an ODI.[/quote'] Gavaskar was my childhood idol.....In many ways I think he faced a superior bowling attack that SRT ever did....He was the first Indian to prove to the world that we can play high quality pace. IMHO, the greatest test opener ever and a pretty good ODI opener towards the end of his career. Too bad ODIs became the norm only towards the end of his career, i. e. post 1983.