Sehwag is going to score big today!

A bit too harsh, prof? People have different approaches to enjoying the game. I am a rational fellow in handling things in my life that really matter, but when I am watching Indian cricket or FSU football, I turn into a superstitious nut. Just a different kind of outlet. Moreover: 10.2 Mendis to Sehwag, no run, review for bat pad catch. off break on the middle and leg line, Sehwag misses a wild sweep shot and the ball pops up for the 'keeper to hold it. They ask for the pad and bat catch. Rudi turns it down. Mahela is unsure to ask for the review but Dilshan, at silly point, urges him to go for it. The replays are inconclusive. Not sure whether it brushed the gloves on its way. And the verdict is NOT OUT. 27.5 Muralitharan to Sehwag, FOUR, edged but it flies past the slip fielder. Flighted off break outside off stump, Sehwag goes for the big cover drive but the bat was inside the line and it flew off the outside edge and to the left of the diving Mahela. It went too quick 27.6 Muralitharan to Sehwag, no run, and almost caught and bowled. It was a lovely doosra on the middle and leg line, Sehwag was early into the drive, checked and it fell short of Murali If any one of these had gone the other way, you COULD be accused of jinxing :-)! I understand that chanceless, perfect stints at the crease are the exception rather than the norm, but all cricketing logic can be defied by a brilliant catch or an umpiring whim. -- End of sermon -- All that said, without Sehwag, the proverbial fork would've been stuck in us! Keep going, VS, you DA MAN!!
Yup, agree it was a bit too harsh and apologies for that, and what you have presented above are cricketing calls which could have made my prophecy a joke, no doubt, but they are cricketing calls not some jinxing/non jinxing stuff. Sehwag has two major flaws early in his innings - playing across his pads and driving a ball too close too the off stump on the up one leading to a leg before the other an edge to the slips . By placing a short cover and short mid wicket, Mahela helped Sehwag cut out both these strokes early in his innings similar to what Ponting did at Adelaide. Now no one can predict anything with any certainty in a sport like cricket which is decided in milli seconds and milli meters but to have a thread based on cricketing logic(flawed or otherwise) guffawed by jinxing/worship blah blah is frustrating and apologies for coming out so harshly.

I know this is totally unrelated, but whats with this jinxing nonsense? I cant possibly imagine how some remote person, opening a thread in some remote MB, will have an effect on a random cricketer who is 1000s of miles away and has absolutely no idea about these threads ( unless of course that cricketer reads ICF before he goes out to play :D) I cant stand superstitions, its just a lame way for people to absolve themselves of any blame or shift it on someone else, for things that dont work. I am not saying others shouldnt follow superstitions, everyone has the right to believe in what they think is right and I respect their sentiments. But why force the rest of the collective population to toe your line saying 'Dont do this, dont do that'.. That is downright annoying.

Good call there Prof. But trying to predict Sehwag is like trying to predict an earth quake or a tsunami. 128 off 214 -- 60% of the team's runs, at a ODI clip. And this, while his technically superior peers have been swallowed by Mendis. What a maverick!

I know this is totally unrelated, but whats with this jinxing nonsense? I cant possibly imagine how a some remote person, opening a thread in some remote MB, will have an effect on a random cricketer 1000s of miles away and has absolutely no idea about these threads ( unless of course that cricketer reads ICF before he goes out to play :D) I cant stand superstitions, its just a lame way for people to absolve themselves of any blame or shift it on someone else, for things that dont work. I am not saying others shouldnt follow superstitions, everyone has the right to believe in what they think is right and I respect their sentiments. But why force the rest of the collective population to toe your line saying 'Dont do this, dont do that'.. That is downright annoying.
You will find even the most level headed & rational thinkers have some sort of superstitious beliefs. Its too hard not to be superstitious in sports. You need a bit of luck, to go with the talent. And it is further amplified by the unpredictable nature of the players, teams and the sport in general. When you so dearly want to see something happen in the game you love and you know you got very little control over the proceedings, you tend to cling onto anything that can help what you want, happen. For the record, even am afraid of jinxing threads.:-D
You will find even the most level headed & rational thinkers have some sort of superstitious beliefs. Its too hard not to be superstitious in sports. You need a bit of luck, to go with the talent. And it is further amplified by the unpredictable nature of the players, teams and the sport in general. When you so dearly want to see something happen in the game you love and you know you got very little control over the proceedings, you tend to cling onto anything that can help what you want, happen. For the record, even am afraid of jinxing threads.:-D
Thats the confusing part for me. How can someone be perfectly rational and apply strict standards of reasoning and suddenly turn superstitious for small things here and there? And leave alone us having any sort of 'control' over the proceedings, even the cricketers dont. Mere milliseconds of delay of the ball off the pitch or a bat angle closed by two more degress can make all the difference between a massive six and a top-edge caught at long-on. That being the case, what can we, as spectators, possibly do? The reason I am ranting along so endlessly is because of this thread; http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=46859 :D I just got roasted that day, for absolutely no fault of mine! :haha: Anyways, enough with the distraction. Great call there by Proff. Hopefully he keeps given calls like these, often in the future, preferably for Sachin. :D
The Sl ploy of having a short mid wicket and a short cover is the worst you can do to Sehwag - rewind Adelaide. Beware of a huge innings from him. SL has provided the little comfort zone that Sehwag was looking for.
what an astute observation , Shwetabh !!

MM, Its just a habit from childhood - being superstitious about cricket. I know there is no logic to it, but even players sometimes (Mohd. Amarnath - red handkerchief, even icf's fav SRT, SG etc are superstitious at times)... Nothing serious from my point. Shwetabh got a bit angry, but nothing serious. Its usually a joke in ICF to say "Dont jinx" - this was similar. Good observation shwetabh, glad it worked.

This is unbelievable. Shehwag refused to take a single which could have completed his double simply because he didnt want to expose Ishant to Murali. What an admirable man. What a selfless cricketer. He waited till the last ball and took a single for his double. What a player.:adore:

What a knock. Sooo close to not getting his double. Glad he did finally. Totally deserving. Seems like he was playing a diff set of bowlers and pitch from the rest.
Amen! Outclassed both the lankan bowlers as well as other Indian batsmen. True gem!! :two_thumbs_up:
This is unbelievable. Shehwag refused to take a single which could have completed his double simply because he didnt want to expose Ishant to Murali. What an admirable man. What a selfless cricketer. He waited till the last ball and took a single for his double. What a player.:adore:
I hope these things become more and more expected and believable going forward. These should not be so unbelievable as it was today. How can India get other players (incl. next generation players) to put team as first?
Guest Hiten.
MM, Its just a habit from childhood - being superstitious about cricket. I know there is no logic to it, but even players sometimes (Mohd. Amarnath - red handkerchief, even icf's fav SRT, SG etc are superstitious at times)... Nothing serious from my point. Shwetabh got a bit angry, but nothing serious. Its usually a joke in ICF to say "Dont jinx" - this was similar. Good observation shwetabh, glad it worked.
SRT's always straps his left pad first. If that helps you :P