quick comment on underperforming seniors

Hey I know Kumble has been underperforming lately ... but to all the people out there saying he should be dropped , let me ask you ... Do you really see any spinner that can do a better job at the moment? India definitely have a spin problem. Chawla, Bhajji, Powar, Kartik, Mishra, Ojha all have had their moments, but at this stage do you see any of them stepping up and taking the big 5-fors and 6-fors (or in the case of Kumble a 10-for). I know Kumble is out of form, but he is 38, he is our captain, he has taken over 600 wickets, and we need him for the Australian series. He will probably retire soon anyway ... lets give him the honour of actually leaving on his own terms, like Australia did with Warne, like im sure Lanka will do with Murali. The bigger concern for me is the form of Dravid and Ganguly. Again, these 2 players are legends of the game but they have been out of form lately. Ganguly had an excellent 2007 and is probably less in danger than Dravid. Both these players I feel should probably be given until the Australian series to turn around their form, but if they don't, they will probably be dropped. I know a few are suggesting Rohit Sharma as a replacement, and as good as he is, my choice would actually be Irfan Pathan. The main reason being that Pathan's batting has always been quite strong and he could fill in the no.6 or no.7 role. Having Pathan also allows us to play the extra spinner and probably gives our side a bit better balance. Any thoughts?

Kumble did very well in the last tour of Australia, but I am afraid his bowling is now going downhill fast. I am not sure that he would get his form back again. Age is not on his side. May be this series end would be a good time for him to declare retirement. I am very sad for Dravid. One of the finest batsman ever in the game is struggling for form. I hope he gets his touch back today. Someone said a couple of days ago that Sachin is crawling for ages. I had to remind him that it was just a couple of matches ago that he scored a bunch of 100s and 50s.

I quite agree with you Bharat but there comes a time when you will have to foget past laurels and go by logic. Sure the likes of Anil Kumble, Rahul and Ganguly can be back after few series' but what message does that pass to the young ones that are performing well at domestic but cannot secure a place in the XI? Moreover if these cricketers were under the age of 30 you could let them try couple more series' knowing fully well they can serve the team for quite some time. Rahul and Ganguly may have at the most another year and Anil doesn't really have much time at all unless he's constantly performing. I don't believe they should chuck them all out at one time but should slowly phase out one at a time. It's probably time for Kumble to go first, Ganguly next and Rahul in the end. By then Sachin will probably be ready to be phased out too. It will help to bring in one youngster at a time while the seniors can mentor him and help him settle down.

I can't understand some of the knee jerk reactions out here. Our batting is being challenged by a superb spin attack in tailor made conditions and are bowlers are up against the biggest home track bullies of international cricket. It's a tough tour and no team has been thrown up the Murali and Mendis combination before so there is very little precedence to go by as far as judging the side is concerned. These guys are proven performers, hugely talented and age is just a number. Anyone who has seen Dravid's catching will find it difficult to argue that his reflexes are any slower, not to mention his good performance this year with the bat. Ganguly just played a crucial role in winning a test two matches back. Kumble is out of depth right now but if journeymen like Harbhajan and Collingwood can get their form back I don't see any reason to put Kumble under the cosh so soon. Let's face it - the only batsman who looks remotely like replacing anyone in the middle order is Badrinath and he is not even part of the test squad and never has been.

PS: Welcome back Bharat. Looking forward to read more from you. Also would like to add to my previous post that I used to be a strong proponent of a five man bowling attack but the all rounder should be able to select himself in the side as a batsman or a bowler- Pathan does not fill the bill. Bits and pieces cricketers don't work in tests.

Fab 4 in the last 10 matches they played Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Dravid 10 18 2 502 111 31.37 1 2 0 Laxman 10 17 1 628 109 39.25 1 4 0 Gangu 10 18 1 803 239 47.23 1 5 Sachin 10 17 2 759 154* 50.60 2 5 Are Sachin and Ganguly really doing that bad?
Sachin hast scored for the last two matches before this. Before that he scored seven half centuries and four centuries in 15 matches. Most of those half centuries were close to the 100 mark.

Why the big panic with the batsmen? It's unrealistic to judge these batsmen to harshly given the nature of the spinning tracks, and the fact that they're facing a new bowler that's very very hard to pick. Ask the West Indians, Sri Lankans who've played Mendis more than anyone else and they'll all say he's very hard to pick. So this tour should be put down to a learning experience rather than a true test. The real test will be in the upcoming series with Australia. As far as Kumble? He's a man of honor and will be the FIRST person to admit that he needs to retire. I don't know if that time is now, but it's definitely around the corner. He'll announce his retirement himself if he continues on this recent poor form and he'll retire as on of the giants of the game.

Why the big panic with the batsmen? It's unrealistic to judge these batsmen to harshly given the nature of the spinning tracks, and the fact that they're facing a new bowler that's very very hard to pick. Ask the West Indians, Sri Lankans who've played Mendis more than anyone else and they'll all say he's very hard to pick. So this tour should be put down to a learning experience rather than a true test. The real test will be in the upcoming series with Australia. As far as Kumble? He's a man of honor and will be the FIRST person to admit that he needs to retire. I don't know if that time is now, but it's definitely around the corner. He'll announce his retirement himself if he continues on this recent poor form and he'll retire as on of the giants of the game.
Kumble did a fine job in Australia last time and I am sure he will be the biggest bowling asset again on this tour.
its easiest to bat for first 20 overs. Kumble has to set in out field atleast when seamers are bowling. May be Kumble should open the attack.
Absolutely, starve them off runs with the new ball and then let them struggle against the spinners. Even Sehwag and Sachin wont be bad options on this 4th-5th day minefield turner pitch. :icflove:
And now we are just 100 runs away from securing a historic win. Dravid and Tendulkar clicked. Ganguly and Laxman will take us home and on an equal footing into the final test. So much for knee jerk reactions and obituary writers.
Are you kidding ? 30s & 40s from supposed great players, when we were on the driver's seat to put the game away, doesnt amount to success in my books. And this isnt the first time, our batting giants have let us down in a 2nd innings. I expect Ganguly & Laxman, plus the tail to take us to 260 odd, setting Lanka around 290 to win. The Lankan batsmen know how to bat in these conditions, so the match is by no means safe. 325+ will give Kumble some breathing room, 350+ will constitute a relatively safe target. Both Ganguly & Laxy have to show the intent that our openers exhibited. Both are lethargic runners, who depend heavily on boundaries to keep the scoreboard moving. It will be an interesting first session tomorrow.

I don't believe any reasons for Indians to be elated yet and I agree with Bumper the game is still in balance. I don't reckon Indians hold the upper hand at all. We all know the lower middle order and the tail's worth is no more than 20-30 runs. If India gets lucky and Laxman-Ganguly combo can score about 50 runs Indians may have a fighting total. Lankans can chase anywhere around 300 on this pitch still I feel. 350 is perhaps a winning total but it's too early to say which way this game is headed. All in all, an excellent test match in the offer here. I hope we get a very close game here unlike the last test match.

Are you kidding ? 30s & 40s from supposed great players, when we were on the driver's seat to put the game away, doesnt amount to success in my books. And this isnt the first time, our batting giants have let us down in a 2nd innings. I expect Ganguly & Laxman, plus the tail to take us to 260 odd, setting Lanka around 290 to win. The Lankan batsmen know how to bat in these conditions, so the match is by no means safe. 325+ will give Kumble some breathing room, 350+ will constitute a relatively safe target. Both Ganguly & Laxy have to show the intent that our openers exhibited. Both are lethargic runners, who depend heavily on boundaries to keep the scoreboard moving. It will be an interesting first session tomorrow.
Bumper, 30s and 40s are worth gold in these conditions. 30s and 40s from Ganguly and Laxman are going to give us an inpregnable position.