Dhoni to receive Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna

Feed

The Cricket Board has recommended India's ODI and Twenty20 captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the highest honour for any sportsperson in the country. More... Dhoni recommended for Khel Ratna Mumbai (PTI): The Cricket Board has recommended India's ODI and Twenty20 captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the highest honour for any sportsperson in the country. BCCI Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty said the board has already forwarded its recommendation to the Sports Ministry. "Yes, we have forwarded Dhoni's name for the country's highest sports award for 2007," Shetty told PTI. Under Dhoni, India won the tri-series in Australia and also the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa. In case Dhoni manages to win the award, he would be the second cricketer to get the honour, following Sachin Tendulkar, who won it in 1997-98. The President will give away the award, along with Arjuna and Dronacharya awards, at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on August 29. Since its inception, the list of Khel Ratna awardees also include Viswanathan Anand (chess), Geet Sethi (billiards), K Malleswari (weightlifting), Leander Paes (tennis), N Kunjarani (weightlifting), Jyotirmoyee Sikdar (athletics), Dhanraj Pillay (hockey), P Gopichand (badminton), Abhinav Bindra (shooting), Anjali Bhagwat (shooting) Anju Bobby George (athletics), Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (shooting), Pankaj Advani (billiards and snooker) and Manavjit Singh (shooting).

Since its inception, the list of Khel Ratna awardees also include Viswanathan Anand (chess), Geet Sethi (billiards), K Malleswari (weightlifting), Leander Paes (tennis), N Kunjarani (weightlifting), Jyotirmoyee Sikdar (athletics), Dhanraj Pillay (hockey), P Gopichand (badminton), Abhinav Bindra (shooting), Anjali Bhagwat (shooting) Anju Bobby George (athletics), Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore (shooting), Pankaj Advani (billiards and snooker) and Manavjit Singh (shooting).
What? No SRT, SCG or RSD?
Absolute bull shyte. No recommendations for all those test stars like Dravid,Kumble or even Ganguly...A player who's been a below average test player gets the nomination!
God knows what Dravid, Kumble and Ganguly think. All those years of toil and winning games for their country and this show pony gets nominated and cant even be bothered to play for India anymore. Very sad indian cricket has come to this!

I think SRT is the only cricketer to get it.....which is actually ridiculous. Dhoni should be somewhere back in the que. Dravid, dada, Laxman, KUmble, Srinath....they all deserve it better than Dhoni who has been in the scene for a few years only.

Dhoni is reminding me of Beckham. All PR and glamour but no real quality as evidenced by his below average test carrer. At least Beckham was always desperate to play for his country' date=' Dhoni cant even be bothered to do this![/quote'] dsr, you are right...Even though Becks was a glamour boy like our Dhobi,he was so commited to play for his country.
Dhoni is reminding me of Beckham. All PR and glamour but no real quality as evidenced by his below average test carrer. At least Beckham was always desperate to play for his country' date=' Dhoni cant even be bothered to do this![/quote'] Beckham had real quality.
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: Can't believe who said it!!
haha, man, I'm India fan first and then all the players. In fact, I like Dhoni because he has brought a fearless attitude to the young crop. Ahem, not like some fans, who are not motivated to watch India matches when Sachin retires :winky: :D
You think Dhoni doesnt have real quality? You think we need to go back to Vijay Dahiya and Sameer Dighe and Deep Dasgupta?
No holy, its not that way...but I just can't digest him opting out of a gruelling test tour.One thing's sure he's better than all those three you mentioned!
haha, man, I'm India fan first and then all the players. In fact, I like Dhoni because he has brought a fearless attitude to the young crop. Ahem, not like some fans, who are not motivated to watch India matches when Sachin Dhoni retires :winky: :D
Flamy...time will tell that....May be not the most articulative person. But bahut cricket dekhage bahut...even had the carrer at crosslines coz of this game so...
No holy, its not that way...but I just can't digest him opting out of a gruelling test tour.One thing's sure he's better than all those three you mentioned!
He needs a break, otherwise he will get injured. Look at the ODI team. Can he afford to leave that team, when he is the captain, and one of the ONLY reliable faces in the team. He is what is holding the ODI team together. He can only afford to take a break from the Test series.
It doesn't to me. Read the thread 'broken arrow' where many of us discussed about Dhoni after IPL itself and how many felt that it was impossible for Dhoni to take a leave from ODIs which he has moulded into his own way by getting the young and fresh though inexperienced players and Dhoni is the only reliable batsman left in the team. It is impossible for him to opt out of ODIs now since none of the seniors are in the team and that too at Dhoni's request. A captain can't leave his ship. So where should he have taken the break from? IPL? Forget about that. It was offering him 1.5 million dollars and Chennai was banking on him as the skipper too. Kitply cup or Asia cup, however meaningless they might be, Dhoni couldn't opt out from those too and apparently he didn't even know about BCCI's policy that whichever player wanted to take a break could opt out. On the verge of burn-out, this was the only opening for him. I don't think anyone else will do it. But as you say, we'll see. We're definitely going to miss Dhoni's keeping but that is the way it is. It is better that he has taken rest before heavy break down.
Also, if you think that ANYONE would have given up IPL instead, then thats just stupid thinking.