Isn't it kumble who was supposed to get Khel Rathna

Temujin Khaghan, Does Kumble have TRP (Television Rating Points) like how MSD does? Does Kumble gets in media with cute gals like MSD does? Does Kumble have hairstyle like MSD does? And the biggest of all, does Kumble value T20 more than Test cricket :giggle:? SORRY - He wont be considered by BCCI for Rathna!

Dude (or dudette)..cricket is not the only sport..Just because cricket has glamor and big fan following in India..that does not mean we should undermine efforts of other sportsman
Cricket is not the only sport but its not crickets fault that we suck in other sports. I gave my reasons. Leander maybe #1 in india but he was a lowly rank # 128 or something around that time and hit peak in 60s. Thats laughable compared to dravid who was the top 5 cricketer in the world for a few years.
Cricket is not the only sport but its not crickets fault that we suck in other sports. I gave my reasons. Leander maybe #1 in india but he was a lowly rank # 128 or something around that time and hit peak in 60s. Thats laughable compared to dravid who was the top 5 cricketer in the world for a few years.
Leander was the World No.1 (individual & team) in men's doubles and somewhere in that area in mixed doubles rankings. Winner of seven Grand Slams in doubles (though all but three of it came after 1997). Plus an overachiever in Davis Cup and the Olympic medal. The most deserving non-winner of RGKR at the moment is not a cricketer but Mahesh Bhupathi who has ten doubles Grand Slam titles.

Doubles is the equivalent of 2nd rated trny in Cricket like triangular series. Infact, since most of the best players in tennis dont even take part in doubles, it could be even equated to County championship or ranji. Even then, Khel ratna can be awarded to teams. So in that sense it shd have been for both Mahesh and leander (esp since Mahesh was #1 in doubles ranking at that time). But leander got it for that bronze. He didnt get it for the 7 grand slams or for being #1 in doubles(all came after the khel ratna award).

The government wants "show" that they are not partial towards cricket, as there is always criticism about them spending too much money and time for cricket. So they spread the award among seven or eight sports. By the time the turn of cricket came in the second round, it has become too late for Dravid & co. That's all that is about it.