Ganguly the silent assasin of indian cricket

Rohan495

Explain how ? Cricket is one of those games where a coach can have very little influence in a positive way but a fair bit of negative influence ... Team selection, batting line-up, pitch analysis & subsequent decisions to bat/field, bowling order, bowling rotations, field placings, and various other tactical decisions are left up to the captain. Coaches help drill players in the technique side of things ... other than that a coach doesnt do much at international level.
Don't think these two vital decisions a captain alone can take...heard there's something called a team meeting exists and all players do air their views...then another one involving senior players and captain,coach and manager.No way m saying coach is an important factor in cricket.Stil... Regarding John Wright,his predecessor and successor both were highly esteemed players and personalities.Just look at the way they both flopped.Wright was always there to support Ganguly and never stopped him from taking some tough decisions.
I think thats highly unfair ... Ganguly was given a side that was in pieces at the start of 2000. We had the talent, somewhere but there wasnt the belief ... However under Ganguly's leadership , the Indian team had an attitude and a fighting spirit. He instilled a belief in the team that we could win overseas and suddenly began to challenge top teams. Don't forget he took us to our 2nd best result ever in world cups. Tactically he was a better captain than Dravid. He was also the first Indian captain to encourage the Indian team to stand up to the Aussies. He managed to get under the skin of the Aussies, and we were the first Indian team to really challenge the Aussies in Test cricket in Australia. Many of the points you mentioned above are valid, but to me he will be remembered as a great captain for India. That doesnt mean I dont feel he is out of form now and is on the verge of being dropped ... These are 2 separate issues. Also, it wasnt just Yuvi and Bhajji ... players like Sehwag, Zaheer, Kaif, Gambhir, Chopra, Parthiv, Karthik, Dhoni (yes Dhoni too), Pathan, M.Kartik, all got their chances during the Ganguly era. He took the Indian team from a point where they were 7th or 8th in the world to a point where they were challenging the best teams in the world. The problem was , by the end of the Ganguly era, we were back down again ... but that doesnt mean he didnt do a lot of good things for Indian cricket ... its extremely naive to think otherwise.
Totally agree. The man's a fighter, that much you have to give in to him.

wow another useless thread by a LAXman balls licker...... Ganguly developed all the young talents when the team was in shatters.. players like pathan, yuvi all came out of from his leadership...LAXMAN is a selfish *****hole who never bats around the tail-enders so you can go F yourself

Fab Four Averages vs Quality opposition away from the Sub Continent

SRT                     RD                    VVS                            SCG
Australia             58.53                 48.60                  54.05                         34.80
South Africa          40.71                 36.51                41.11                         36.14
New Zealand           41.50                 64.57                  ~                              27.71
England                62.00                 65.35                44.88                         65.35
West Indies            47.69                 70.00                47.52                         40.00

is this for tests or odi's...ganguly is the least accomplished in the test team among the Fab 4.But I'm interested in the ODI statistics of Ganguly against quality opposition where he has to face the toughest bowlers...that would be an interesting read
Sourav is a better captain than Dravid Dravid is a better batsman than Sourav In Dhoni we have a Fantastic Captain, IMO better than Sourav, Sourav is no longer a captain, Hez 36, a **** of a fielder, an off-on batsman, and more importantly is blocking a slot for a younger deserving candidate Conclusion : Kick Sourav's balls and show him the door
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

OP completely ignores the fact that Sourav was late middle order batsmen in test cricket and did not have the support of the tail in batting . The very fact that his record in ODI when he came in as an opener is much better clearly indicates to this limitation of a late middle order batsmen with a shaky tail . Also, he did sacrifice his opening spot to Veru in ODI . In my opinion he was a good test player , very good ODI player and a good captain. Keep in mind , he took over captaincy when every thing was going wrong with Indian cricket. OP is very unfair to Ganguly.

My analysis of Rohans points --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To Me ganguly was the worst captain of indian cricket. Let me highlight what hes done 1. Left out Laxman for the 03 world cup, One that even the world champions fear -He was never a good one day player and his fileding and running was pants. Ganguly was right to leave him out 2. Concentrated on developing Yuvraj Harbhajan but didnt bother about the rest of India -Others had chances and did not deliver. Dada was right as they have proved very good players for India, he backed the right horses 3. Biggest non playing captain there was a period where he didnt score runs just because he was the captain -True 4. Kept a close connection with BCCI villains such as Dalmiya -You have to in India to succed. However, the way dada used politic know how was at times to say the least a bit off 5. Scored a lot of selfish centuries and half centuries where he wasted so many balls for example against Bangladesh in the world cup - Runs on the board all credit to him 6. Never really dominated world class attacks as he score most of his runs against mediocre weak bowling attacks. Take out Kenya, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and lets see how his average is -Smacked england around a few times if i remembe. However no doubt he underperformes in a big way against top attacks 7. Never a great test player but some how managed to pull some chords and bring himself back into the cricket team -True 8. Was instrumental in running so many of his other teammates out -True:hysterical: 9. Used his agression as a way to manipulate indians minds that he is a batting great -True:hysterical:But this aggression made him a great captain 10. A horrible fielder and runner between the wickets -True but I am sure this almost a duplicate of point 8 Some relevant points there!

My analysis of Rohans points 6. Never really dominated world class attacks as he score most of his runs against mediocre weak bowling attacks. Take out Kenya, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and lets see how his average is -Smacked england around a few times if i remembe. However no doubt he underperformes in a big way against top attacks
He's destroyed SA a few times with the likes of Pollock and Ntini Destroyed SL when Murali was playing, even against Vaas, Fernando

Fab Four Averages vs Quality opposition away from the Sub Continent

SRT                     RD                    VVS                            SCG
Australia             58.53                 48.60                  54.05                         34.80
South Africa          40.71                 36.51                41.11                         36.14
New Zealand           41.50                 64.57                  ~                              27.71
England                62.00                 65.35                44.88                         65.35
West Indies            47.69                 70.00                47.52                         40.00

ganguly: avg. in Aus- 35 avg. in WI- 40 avg. in SA- 37 avg. in Eng- 66 AVG. IN PAKI LAND- 50 not bad for a 4th down batsman... + this is test cricket.. where ppl say he is not that good...ALSO.. most of these game were as a CAPTAIN.. we all know what sachin did as a captain... @rohan- give the man respect .. and stop licking VVS ass.. all he has done is play 2 good knocks.. and bunch of "good-looking" 30ssss and remained not out by exposing the tail like a fool and not going for it...dada a bad fielder? true... about about VVS?? whole 50 overs in slips is not gonna do it
btw isnt ganguly like the only indian test batsman who has NEVER had an career avg. under 40? wazzzupp? :D
Thats correct. Ganguly's test average never dropped below 40. Rahul Dravid's average dropped below 40 2/3 times very early in his career. Sehwag's average dropped to 39.91 after he scored 29 and 17 in the 15th test of his career against New Zealand in Ahmedabad. But in the very next match he cracked a 130 to take it well above 40 and never dropped below that again. VVS Laxman's average did not rise above 40 till his 34th match. Once it did, it never dropped below 40 again. But the Assumption that Ganguly is the only Indian batsman is incorrect. Sunil Gavaskar's test average never dropped below 40 either. His average did not drop below 100 till the 7th match. His lowest average must have been 48.something.
Hey Bharat - don't worry about this thread. Rohan is 14 years old and loves VVS.
Ok my points are valid. but i forgot that im speaking to bunch of so called cricket fans who dont see cricket in broader perspective who dont analyze enough and accurately. Im pretty sure more Australians who are champions would understand where i come from.