It wasn't that long ago....

fineleg

India were truly (not just per 'claims') fantastic players of spin bowling. Whats gotten into the newbies? (I am leaving the Fab-4 out of this discussion, they are good players of spin, woefully out of form currently, but otherwise they are very good players of spin) Why are all the newbies struggling against quality spin bowling!? India the land of batsmen who played superbly against spinners now struggling!?? :omg: Have we just lost the art of milking and lofting the spinners!? Dancing down the track, and putting the spinners where they belong - out on the rooftops of spectators or glanced or swept fine along the ground, or cut fiercely! A Ravi Shastri did it while batting, a Navjot Sidhu did it, a Gavaskar :hail:, a Jimmy Amarnath, a Vengsarkar, a Tendu/SG/VVS/RD, Azhar, Cheeka, Sandeep Patil...the list goes on and on G. Vishwanath :hail: C'mon - you Rohits, Badris, Kohlis, Rainas, Yuvis, etc. Do it!

India were truly (not just per 'claims') fantastic players of spin bowling. Whats gotten into the newbies? (I am leaving the Fab-4 out of this discussion, they are good players of spin, woefully out of form currently, but otherwise they are very good players of spin) Why are all the newbies struggling against quality spin bowling!? India the land of batsmen who played superbly against spinners now struggling!?? :omg: Have we just lost the art of milking and lofting the spinners!? Dancing down the track, and putting the spinners where they belong - out on the rooftops of spectators or glanced or swept fine along the ground, or cut fiercely! A Ravi Shastri did it while batting, a Navjot Sidhu did it, a Gavaskar :hail:, a Jimmy Amarnath, a Vengsarkar, a Tendu/SG/VVS/RD, Azhar, Cheeka, Sandeep Patil...the list goes on and on G. Vishwanath :hail: C'mon - you Rohits, Badris, Kohlis, Rainas, Yuvis, etc. Do it!
Rohit..was out to a medium pacer. So was Kohli. So was Raina. Yuvi was the only one among them out to spin, but that as you say, was expected. Dhoni struggled too. Point being, it is not just the spin that is troubling them, and to say newbies are struggling against spin is OTT. Give them some time, and we will see. And to say the Flab 4 just happen to be in bad form, and otherwise would have milked M&M is being too soft on them.

very good topic fineleg and this has pertubed me too-It is really surirising to see our batmen fail to pick a spinner-I think Kirsten has to take some blame in this has the problem is not showing of abating any time soon.I must say Kirsten has been a disaster so far-hope it changes in the next series.

Why don't you all understand that Mendis is a revolutionary spinner, a freak, who is finger spinner as well as a wrist spinner along with a unique delivery which is his carrom ball. On top of all this, he is extremely accurate too. When Saqlain had come up with one revolutionary delivery, ie the 'doosra' he was an instant success. Of course he used it cunningly and accurately and that played a part too. Why can't we give credit where it is due that Mendis is a very good bowler and will trouble every country, even on flat tracks as he doesn't need to turn his deliveries a great deal. It is just a coincidence that India was the first country to destroyed by him. We'll see him doing it to the rest of the world too.

chandan, you are right about Mendis , but in the last ODI Indians failed against pace as well.We have a very inexperienced side on this tour but im sure that they will improve in the 2nd game.
It is quite foolish on our part to expect these youngsters to succeed in each and every tournament. We are just grooming them and it is a given fact that they'll keep getting better with experiences. However the thread was about spinners and Indian batsmen's performance against it. That is why I wrote only on spinners.
chandan, you are right about Mendis , but in the last ODI Indians failed against pace as well.We have a very inexperienced side on this tour but im sure that they will improve in the 2nd game.
You expecting her to criticize the players :D On a more serious note, chandan - Hope u watched the match. This was not because of some stupendously great bowling that we got out. It was mediocre batting (rather listless batting) we got out too.
You expecting her to criticize the players :D On a more serious note, chandan - Hope u watched the match. This was not because of some stupendously great bowling that we got out. It was mediocre batting (rather listless batting) we got out too.
I know. But it this thread to analyse the failure of Indian players in the 1st ODI or their failure in general against spin bowling in this series? I think you yourself are confused. And you need to read my posts a bit more closely to see if I criricise the players or not. The only difference is that I do not go nuts either while praising anyone or criticising anyone. But it seems people understand only over-reaction here!!:roll: