Ranji Trophy, Super League, 2008-09

Chandan

looking at the bowling on offer in the quarter final (TN vs Bengal) as well as the Semi(Mumbai Vs Sau), the seam bowling stock in the country is very low. the flat tracks also portray the spinners as useless.there would have to be a huge effort from the domestic seam bowlers to make the transition to international scene. i am not sure what happens to all those winners from the "fast bowling contests in various cities". lot of them winners in cities bowled at 130k+, but in Ranji level, it is so rare to see any one bowling consistently above 130k.miserable. does any one know how good Trivedi who plays for Rajasthan?

looking at the bowling on offer in the quarter final (TN vs Bengal) as well as the Semi(Mumbai Vs Sau), the seam bowling stock in the country is very low. the flat tracks also portray the spinners as useless.there would have to be a huge effort from the domestic seam bowlers to make the transition to international scene. i am not sure what happens to all those winners from the "fast bowling contests in various cities". lot of them winners in cities bowled at 130k+, but in Ranji level, it is so rare to see any one bowling consistently above 130k.miserable. does any one know how good Trivedi who plays for Rajasthan?
i dont think u can say that by watching these matches.the wickets have nothing to offer,so the quicker pace will only help the batsmen.infact bowlers have to resort to slower deliveries to decieve them.and secondly bowlers have to bowl lots of overs,so thers no point bending ur back,tiring urself or even injuring urself n be unavailable for rest of the day.i remember bowlers like dinda,raje,yomahesh,VRV were touching 140 regularly in the IPL. besides our seam attack is pretty good.zak,ishant,munaf,sree ,RP,pathan have played intl cricket already.dinda,tyagi,sangwan provide hope for the bench strength.the main thing they have to worry about is fitness
i dont think u can say that by watching these matches.the wickets have nothing to offer' date='so the quicker pace will only help the batsmen.infact bowlers have to resort to slower deliveries to decieve them.and secondly bowlers have to bowl lots of overs,so thers no point bending ur back,tiring urself or even injuring urself n be unavailable for rest of the day.i remember bowlers like dinda,raje,yomahesh,VRV were touching 140 regularly in the IPL./QUOTE'] oki, what about spinners? who is the best on view? best left arm, best offie, best leggie? any one who can break in to the national team?
oki, what about spinners? who is the best on view? best left arm, best offie, best leggie? any one who can break in to the national team?
yes,spinners are realyl a worry.ojha,mishra n bhajji r the ones we have in the team.kartik tho is better than ojha imo.he should be given a chance.other than that chawla is the only decent spinner.i think we need to make do with sehwags n yuvrajs n make them bowl a lot more

agree with u about Murali Karthik. many commentators say he is among the top3 left arm spinners in the world. only in india, we treat our best left arm spinner so shabbily. he is very good. good spinners mature with age. but he is dropped even after the rare chances he gets and performs well. when aussies toured here for a one day series, he did well. but he was dropped after that. he is doing very well in county cricket.but BCCI neglects him probably because he represents Railways, not a fancy side.he is a consistent performer. read somewhere about Nanda of delhi.a leg spinner. good potential. Kulamani parida was picking lot of wickets a few years back. he was on the fringes of selection.not sure what happened to him. there was a good left arm spinner by name-Ramprakash in TN. can also bat.no news now.but he has been replaced by another one now-suresh. MAC group started off something in the lines of MRF, For spinners in chennai. sort of spin foundation.VV Kumar was in charge.but no news recently.we shud leverage on spin and ensure the greats like Prasanna, Bedi, Chandra, Venkat and others guide them.

agree with u about Murali Karthik. many commentators say he is among the top3 left arm spinners in the world. only in india, we treat our best left arm spinner so shabbily. he is very good. good spinners mature with age. but he is dropped even after the rare chances he gets and performs well. when aussies toured here for a one day series, he did well. but he was dropped after that. he is doing very well in county cricket.but BCCI neglects him probably because he represents Railways, not a fancy side.he is a consistent performer. read somewhere about Nanda of delhi.a leg spinner. good potential. Kulamani parida was picking lot of wickets a few years back. he was on the fringes of selection.not sure what happened to him. there was a good left arm spinner by name-Ramprakash in TN. can also bat.no news now.but he has been replaced by another one now-suresh. MAC group started off something in the lines of MRF, For spinners in chennai. sort of spin foundation.VV Kumar was in charge.but no news recently.we shud leverage on spin and ensure the greats like Prasanna, Bedi, Chandra, Venkat and others guide them.
yep murali does deserve some chnces.hes only 32.can easily play for 4-5 years n guide youngster like ojha i have seen nanda.tall guy bowls in the mould of kumble.doesnt spin the bowl much,relies on variation in pace.pretty good no idea about parida n ramprakash i think we should encourage 4-day cricket for young spinners exclusively.no IPL.let them play dom.cricket,bowl long spells,mature n come in intl.cricket.as u said Prasanna,Bedi,Chandra,Venkat n now Kumble can guide hem well
i dont think u can say that by watching these matches.the wickets have nothing to offer,so the quicker pace will only help the batsmen.infact bowlers have to resort to slower deliveries to decieve them.and secondly bowlers have to bowl lots of overs,so thers no point bending ur back,tiring urself or even injuring urself n be unavailable for rest of the day.i remember bowlers like dinda,raje,yomahesh,VRV were touching 140 regularly in the IPL. besides our seam attack is pretty good.zak,ishant,munaf,sree ,RP,pathan have played intl cricket already.dinda,tyagi,sangwan provide hope for the bench strength.the main thing they have to worry about is fitness
I disagree. Wasn't Flintoff working up the pace over 145 regularly? And our batsmen found him most difficult to score off on the same pitch just a fortnight back? So if the bowlers are good, batsmen will never find them easy and it is a fact. Another fact is that the set of bowlers we saw in Bengal vs TN match and now Saurashtra bowlers are nothing but absolute rubbish. They don't stand a chance for even India A team, forget about the test team. VRV is garbage and we've seen it many times. Unless he transforms himself dramatically, I don't see any future for him in international cricket. YoMahesh is promising but is too erratic and inconsistent. And Dinda is bad, even at domestic level. It is all well to produce one delivery over 130 when you know that you won't be given more than 2 overs in a spell, like in IPL, but is is totally different to do it when you know that you'll have to bowl 20 o0vers in a day. I think the condition of seam bowling is really very concerning. Who do we have who can be expected to deliver in tests: Zaheer, Ishant....and then? RP Singh? We have seen how much has he declined since the Australia tour. Sreesanth? Is he even fit to bowl? Pathan? Has he recovered his swing back because 130K pace without swing is just fodder for international batsmen? Munaf? Yes. He is steady and is consistent too. But can he go through an entire test series without breaking down? Who else? I think we are looking quite thin here in this department as well as spin department!

Just finished watching highlights of Mumbai vs Saurashtra. Jaffer played some delightful flicks and used his feet well against spinners..Rahane was nowhere near his best.Failed to take advantage of quite a few poor deliveries on offer. Mumbai in great shape going in to day-2 with their no.4 batsman anxiously waiting for his turn!