Dhoni ready for Test captaincy : Kirsten

Feed

kumble was handed the well deserved captaincy just a year back. after his highly professional display of captaincy down under, in the face of all the bull **** from the aussies, the entire nation and world media in unison praised him. after that the south africa tour and then the SL tour, where India did win 1 test apiece (sa win might hve cme under dhoni, nevertheless kumble was the captain for the series) and now ppl dont want kumble as captain anymore, save for being in the xi. its high time, we give our senior cricketers time and space to decide their own destiny. they are the best to decide when to hang the boots. can a retired narayanaswamy of infosys, comment in paper that azim premji should retire from wipro? wud it make sense at all? even they are public figures. why is that in the case of cricketers there are so many ppl to end others' careers?

BCCI reprimands Kirsten for captaincy comments The BCCI has reprimanded Gary Kirsten, India's coach, for his comments to the media, in which he stated Mahendra Singh Dhoni was ready for Test captaincy. More... Indian cricket BCCI reprimands Kirsten for captaincy comments Cricinfo staff September 4, 2008 363346.jpgNiranjan Shah: "Anil [Kumble] is a great cricketer and he knows well when to quit. As long as he is in form, I don't think the selectors are going to drop him" © AFP The BCCI has reprimanded Gary Kirsten, India's coach, for his comments to the media, in which he stated Mahendra Singh Dhoni, India's limited-overs captain, was ready for Test captaincy. Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary, told Kirsten to avoid airing his views in the media and focus on his job. "As per the rules and regulations, Kirsten should not have spoken such things in the media, it is not his job. We have the selectors to decide who should be the captain," Shah said. "His comments have not gone down well with those concerned because he is an important member of the support staff. But I will still give him a benefit of doubt." Shah also dismissed the notion that Anil Kumble, India's Test captain, who had a poor series in Sri Lanka, should retire. "Anil is a great cricketer and he knows well when to quit," he said. "As long as he is in form, I don't think the selectors are going to drop him." Kirsten had earlier told Indian news channel NDTV: "He [Dhoni] is ready for it [Test captaincy] but there is no need to rush as of now. Anil has done an exceptional job, he is a great leader. He is prepared to do 30 overs in a day but he is on the other side of the physical side of the game." In July, the BCCI had barred Kirsten from writing columns on matches involving India but made it clear that it did not have any problems with him operating his website.

Yes. And onec dhoni is made captain, one thing is sure that we will see more young players in the team in the span of 6 months. First of SG and RD for sure and then VVS. SRT being his favorite. He may survive for couple of years. But Dhoni will make sure these 3 are gone from the side. I mean honestly. Who are the replacements for AK, SG? As of now, none. Please dont throw these names like Badri, RS etc. I mean in the real sense of test cricket. Who do we think can really get in the side? I want to see at least 3 new faces who are real test players against Aussies. Because these guys will never develop as the best test players until they get good exposure. I think not selecting Chawla against SL was big mistake. He should have gained lot by staying in the same dressing room as AK. God save our side after seniors retire. Honestly, we wont be amongst best 3 once these fab 4 retire.

Who are the replacements for AK, SG? As of now, none. Please dont throw these names like Badri, RS etc. I mean in the real sense of test cricket. Who do we think can really get in the side?
gud point... there seems to be no real replacement for these big boys in test cricket arena... yuraj has been around for 8 yrs nw.. he dint make his mark in test cricket... wat is the gurantee that the young brigade tat dhoni is going to recruit will make the cut in test cricket... once the big boys retire... all of us cricket fans should go n a pilgrimage tour to get the divine blessing to save indian cricket from embarassment in tests

That makes me curious about onething. In the last 10 years how many indian cricketers announced retirement on their own from both forms of the game while still being at the top of their game? I mean, not after being dropped and when they were sure that the selectors are not going to pick them anyways... The last such graceful retirement that I can think of is Javagal Srinath Is it the fault of the cricketers who want to prolong their careers as much as they can? Or is it the fault of the Board and Selectors who lack the professioalism in gradually phasing them out, without causing embarrassment. I for one would like to see the accomplished cricketers play their last innings with everyone including fans and media knowing well that its going to be their last. Like how the aussie cricketers announce their retirement and get a decent farewell. If Dada and Sachin announce that this is going to be their last match, irrespective of where in India (i.e if its in a home series) t is beign played, many fans like me would goto the ground to give them a much deserved send off from cricket... I wish that happens

Well in the last 10 years ... many cricketers who were at retiring age were engulfed in match-fixing scandals (Azhar, Jadeja, Mongia, etc). Other than that, we didnt have any long serving cricketers who were at retiring age. Srinath anounced his retirement gracefully, whilst the big 5 we refer to today were not at retiring age over the past 10 years. How do we know they wont retire gracefully? Maybe they just want to go out on a winning note. Many of them were quite hurt by the loss to Australia in 2007/08 (mainly the manner in which they lost) and will no doubt be looking to exact revenge.